Sentiment? How to measure?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

environment of high powered hedge funds and private equity in the trillions, do sentiment polls of trader or investor opinion really matter much anymore? Over half the daily NYSE volume is supposedly hedge fund driven, so we have a grande pile of money controlled by relatively few. Senor has no bueno answer, just throwing this thoughts out there for discussion. Plus Ricardo Russell throwing in his bearish towel at this time is interesting to Senor. BSing away Senor

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,040 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

There are three sentiment sectors worth "exploiting". Small Hedge funds, Individual Speculators, and Individual "Investors". The first has become much more important, the last two less so. Everyone else is too big or not leveraged enough, or a structural Buyer. Still, these areas can get tricked or forced into making uneconomic trades and that's where the opportunity lies. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 Islander

Islander

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

We are moving back to investors that see a longer horizon, but in the interium the investor may get his fingers stepped on a little. Our large clients are just as confused, but they are willing to hang in there with the energy short future, food plays, international, and even some gold and silver we wait for a bottom in the current trend. It is not making anyone rich, but we are making it work every day. Islander.

#4 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

The use of sentiment is an imperfect science. I just don't see how you can build a mechanistic trading model from it. Rich

#5 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

To paraphrase Smokey Robinson, first I look at the price. Then I look at the volume. Then, when I'm done with all of that, I look at sentiment.

Edited by Jnavin, 17 May 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#6 Mtrader

Mtrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

Whatever works. There is a science to this?? Only Murrey Math has the number. My prediction: if it's not going up, then it's going down. up is defined as >= yesterday's close.

Edited by Mtrader, 17 May 2007 - 03:29 PM.

You are on your own. This is for demonstration only.
JV

#7 danzman

danzman

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

There is a way...like I've said, there's gold in the COT stats. I contend that the little guy's opinion doesn't matter much. My mechanical model is up over 40% since June last year (I trade on margin)...one of the longest signals I've ever seen. LEAPS up over 530%. Those who look in obvious places aren't going to make money above and beyond the majority. Those who strike out on their own and find a piece to the finanial puzzle will reap the rewards. D
I don't make predictions, I just react.

#8 ken29

ken29

• Traders-Talk User
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

Forget about sentiment, just get one of those black box model that Goldman Sachs uses for its proprietary tradings :P

#9 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

Guys, I look at Sentiment.... Primarily the 3 week moving average of AAII. However, I also look at Rydex Ratio, and I look at all the Put/Call Ratio's. For me all three of these type indicators show different strength and weakness in Sentiment. If all these are mixed so are the strength. I first look at Put/Call Ratios, then I look at Rydex and AAII. Put/Call Ratios I use as my primary Sentiment indicator with AAII, and Rydex as secondary indicators for Sentiment. Currently the field is mixed. I'm trading short on the negative divergences I see in RSI, Chaiklen, McClellan, and Ultimate indicators. If A/D improves and the divergences ( undiverge ) I will go long, but since equity and CBOE put/call ratio is going down while OEX put/call is going higher, I read the charts that there is more weakness ahead. Barry

#10 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

environment of high powered hedge funds and private equity in the trillions, do sentiment polls of trader or investor opinion really matter much anymore? Over half the daily NYSE volume is supposedly hedge fund driven, so we have a grande pile of money controlled by relatively few. Senor has no bueno answer, just throwing this thoughts out there for discussion.

Plus Ricardo Russell throwing in his bearish towel at this time is interesting to Senor.

BSing away

Senor

Don't forget about the hidden trades and exchanges article that was shared at the board the other day, I think

by either Rodgerdodger or Da Cheif

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.
.....timing,..... is ....everything !
... remember no guessing visit MrDev!