Reits Continue to get pounded

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

Looks like people can't run away fast enough, this morning looks like they are in the dog house again. I wonder if this is going to set up a major buying opportunity.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

I covered most of the position.

#3 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

Fed Chairman Ben said yesterday out of Chicago....Tis likely that the 'sub-prime' problems could carry on through the rest of this and into next year 2008. I'm watching a couple of US home builders closely at mo'.....But only watching,i'm not tempted to 'buy'(or even 'short') here. I'll probably wait till much later in the year,i just get the feeling that a better buying oppertunity lies ahead some time later this year,imvho. Regards.V

#4 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:15 AM

I would have thought that Reits which invest in things like aparments, malls, etc would be somewhat immune to subprime woes. I wonder if money is just flowing out and into the broader equity markets. The higher the markets go the dumber people have to feel for missing it. And why hang around in reits that are flat to falling when "everyone else" is making money? Hopefully I will keep watching until the bottom goes in then get on board.

#5 raleigh

raleigh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

Invest in soup kitchens.

#6 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

"I would have thought that Reits which invest in things like aparments, malls, etc would be somewhat immune to subprime woes." SB, Yes and to be fair Ben B said he didn't think the 'sub-prime' would spill over into other areas,but "thinking" and knowing for sure are two different things.....So i personally would rather be careful than reckless here. Maybe i'm being too cautious but "could carry on through the rest of this and into next year 2008" you never know what 'may' happen in the meantime.....Anyway tis my own risk/reward thinking at the mo' Regards & Be lucky.V

#7 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

"I would have thought that Reits which invest in things like aparments, malls, etc would be somewhat immune to subprime woes."

SB,

Yes and to be fair Ben B said he didn't think the 'sub-prime' would spill over into other areas,but "thinking" and knowing for sure are two different things.....So i personally would rather be careful than reckless here.

Maybe i'm being too cautious but "could carry on through the rest of this and into next year 2008" you never know what 'may' happen in the meantime.....Anyway tis my own risk/reward thinking at the mo'

Regards & Be lucky.V

I heard him say that, and my gut reaction was, he may be blowing it out his orifices because he sees it as his job to "calm" the markets. I'm not a very sophisticated trader and have no trading position in reits at this time. But I thought they invested in office space, apartments, rentals, malls, and numerous income producing items that were not related much to sub-prime.

I'm actually finding it interesting watching reits get beat up while money flows into energy and the broader markets. And that's why I'm watching them, I want to see if I can locate the next market to bottom and turn. When this market dies, money will go somewhere....and the way reits are getting beat up...that may be the place.

#8 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:32 PM

" office space, apartments, rentals, malls," Hey! SB You winding me up here or what? ... ;) You can add..'houses,flats,tents,underground bunkers,even large cardboard boxes'..to the above list. Sorry to admit tis all just plain good ol' 'Property to me. Seriously though Regarding 'REITS' what are favourite charts in this sector....Like i said before i'm watching a couple of home-builders at the mo'....Plus i like to keep a close eye on the '$HGX' chart....Do you watch a similar chart to this that reflects the action in the over all 'REITS' market?.......Cheers Regards.V

#9 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

" office space, apartments, rentals, malls,"

Regarding 'REITS' what are favourite charts in this sector....Like i said before i'm watching a couple of home-builders at the mo'....Plus i like to keep a close eye on the '$HGX' chart....Do you watch a similar chart to this that reflects the action in the over all 'REITS' market?.......Cheers

Regards.V

I'm only watching IYR which invests mostly in reits from what I can see. You can see IYR for the past two months and year to date in the charts below. IYR is the solid green line in the charts. In the first chart which is the performance over the past two months, IYR is down about 5% from where it was two months ago.

The second chart is year to date and you can see that year to date it's actually down about 2 to 3 percent on the year. I'm going to adjust the scale on the year to date chart eventually so it reads more like the scale on the two month look back. The year to date uses 1 as the zero line. Above one is a percentage gain and below one is a percentage loss. The scale on the first chart is simply precents. 35 would be 35 percent.

By the way, it looks as if IYR was up 10% or so in the Year-To-Date chart by Feb. So the move to the negative side has been quite a drop since then.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sentient Being, 18 May 2007 - 01:10 PM.