Stocks above 200 day ma etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ecpinto

ecpinto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:38 AM

On Decision point there was an item which said if the number of stocks above 200,50 and 20 day Moving averages are beyond certain thresholds eg 70 or 80% of the total stocks.. then we could be topping. Has anyone done any work on this and would be willing to share... TIA?

#2 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

On Decision point there was an item which said if the number of stocks above 200,50 and 20 day Moving averages are beyond certain thresholds eg 70 or 80% of the total stocks.. then we could be topping.

Has anyone done any work on this and would be willing to share...

TIA?

Bullish percent SPX

#3 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

I've done work in this area, and usually topping happens when 70 - 80% or stocks are above the 200-day moving average on the NYSE. However, it is also a sign of strength, and the IT has around a 66% chance of happening in the next two weeks. I have not found it though to be a reliable indicator for trading. Barry The other thing I use is the number of stocks trading above a 50-day moving average on NDX. If 90+ stocks are trading above the 50-day MA, it is a ST sell signal until less than 80% of stocks are trading above the 50-day MA ( vice-versa for the bullish scenario on the downside. In this case it is also a signal of strength so the overall trend is bullish with a short term sell. Barry