Joe Granville

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

ChickenLittle: Many years ago Granville was great fun to hear speak. I saw him once during the 1980's. One of his great sayings was "if its obvious, its obviously wrong". Tried to tell that one to a lot of friends and they couldn't get it . . . And that's why the crowd is always going in the same direction.

Granville is a likeable guy, with a great "stage presence," in my opinion. I also think that there is value in fading the "crowd," but at this time I don't see the crowd as all lined up on one side of the aisle. Is the odd-lot public really "all in"? I don't think so.

Best,

Doug

#12 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

You have to love Joe; he's been here for it all, and is a delightfully frank crumedgon. OBV is his invention, and if tuned properly it is one of the best indicators. It is quite valuable in BB alchemy.

I believe DW found some of his inspiration for the CLX from Joe's OBV, with whom DW was buddy-pals back in the day. Joe as been mostly a bear in his old age (81) and mostly wrong, spectacularly so in calling for Dow 7400 in 2005. I think his letter is way down there in the Hulbert rankings.

I was under contract to the GRANVILLE MARKET LETTER in the mid 80.s to provide buy and sell signals.....took the letter to hulberts number one ranking.....i was paid half the letters income during that time......the breakup made headlines as it was revealed by dan dorfman in a nation wide syndicated article out of NY magazine that a shoe salesman was responsible for Granvilles success in Hulbert ratings........if anyone wants to see a copy of the article i will fax it 2 u. B) ....I know exactly how he thinks.......and why......sigh

as for Joes CLX .....yes he invented it......i refined it.......when he saw what i did he couldnt understand it but he saw the results and the contract was signed.
http://www.siliconin...subjectid=36625

Edited by da_cheif, 26 May 2007 - 07:54 PM.

#13 ChickenLittle

ChickenLittle

• Traders-Talk User
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

Granville is a likeable guy, with a great "stage presence," in my opinion. I also think that there is value in fading the "crowd," but at this time I don't see the crowd as all lined up on one side of the aisle. Is the odd-lot public really "all in"? I don't think so. Sentiment indicators prove you correct. In fact the TT sentiment is very bearish with the 5 day bull/bear ratio at 72%, which is almost as low as Sept 2006. This year the range has been about 300% (just before the Feb plunge) to 65%. The crowd is not willing to buy this market and that probably bodes well for the future.
History always repeats . . . only the details change.

#14 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

Week-to-week TT sentiment as an indicator sucks, far as I can tell. Is the same crowd better day-to-day? We are only calling the next bar, in either case.

Edited by selecto, 26 May 2007 - 08:30 PM.

#15 ChickenLittle

ChickenLittle

• Traders-Talk User
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

You have to love Joe; he's been here for it all, and is a delightfully frank crumedgon. OBV is his invention, and if tuned properly it is one of the best indicators. It is quite valuable in BB alchemy.

I believe DW found some of his inspiration for the CLX from Joe's OBV, with whom DW was buddy-pals back in the day. Joe as been mostly a bear in his old age (81) and mostly wrong, spectacularly so in calling for Dow 7400 in 2005. I think his letter is way down there in the Hulbert rankings.

I was under contract to the GRANVILLE MARKET LETTER in the mid 80.s to provide buy and sell signals.....took the letter to hulberts number one ranking.....i was paid half the letters income during that time......the breakup made headlines as it was revealed by dan dorfman in a nation wide syndicated article out of NY magazine that a shoe salesman was responsible for Granvilles success in Hulbert ratings........if anyone wants to see a copy of the article i will fax it 2 u. B) ....I know exactly how he thinks.......and why......sigh

as for Joes CLX .....yes he invented it......i refined it.......when he saw what i did he couldnt understand it but he saw the results and the contract was signed.

DW, your work on the CLX was great stuff. I've read your CLX instructions repeatedly on the siliconinvestor. I keep the CLX in a spreadsheet as its a lot of work. I can understand why you would prefer to keep it by hand.

During the 1980's I programed my computer to do all my graphs. Terrible mistake as I lost the "feel" of the market and lost a very large sum in index futures. Since then I won't touch futures and content myself to 50% margin. And I do my personal indicator charts by hand.

Week-to-week TT sentiment as an indicator sucks, far as I can tell. Is the same crowd better day-to-day?
We are only calling the next bar, in either case.

http://www.imageuplo...p01&i=82901.png

#16 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

They are wrong.

http://stockcharts.c...1576&r=7466.png

Edited by selecto, 26 May 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#17 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

DW, your work on the CLX was great stuff. I've read your CLX instructions repeatedly on the siliconinvestor. I keep the CLX in a spreadsheet as its a lot of work. I can understand why you would prefer to keep it by hand.

During the 1980's I programed my computer to do all my graphs. Terrible mistake as I lost the "feel" of the market and lost a very large sum in index futures. Since then I won't touch futures and content myself to 50% margin. And I do my personal indicator charts by hand.

Week-to-week TT sentiment as an indicator sucks, far as I can tell. Is the same crowd better day-to-day?
We are only calling the next bar, in either case.

http://www.imageuplo...p01&i=82901.png

dont get me wrong about doin all da ******** by hand....ever since i got DTN.s satelite service i can do things TA wise that was impossible for me by hand.....DTN.S technical tools are awesome.......i couldnt live without them......i can bring up every chart of every world wide and american index there is......from yearly to 1 min streaming charts of every thing.........and with fib and a whole assortment tools that DTN has makes my life very easy......the iceing on the cake is my hand drawn clx charts........

#18 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

[/quote]

chief, not that its a quick learn, but can i read/learn about your CLX somewhere? that is, if its public? and thanks for sharing much valuable input! but too many snorts...

#19 ChickenLittle

ChickenLittle

• Traders-Talk User
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:17 PM

[quote name='tommyt' date='May 26 2007, 08:52 PM' post='290354']
[/quote]

chief, not that its a quick learn, but can i read/learn about your CLX somewhere? that is, if its public? and thanks for sharing much valuable input! but too many snorts...
[/quote]

Here is a index but it's not complete. You can page back and forth through the posts to read ideas not in listed in the index.

CLX Index