Photo

How many guys do we have on here that trade for a living?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GOOSE2

GOOSE2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

Your only source of income comes from your trading the market? I trade the ES market only. It's my only source of income. Anyone else in the same boat?

#2 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

goose......u are one of a kind..........snort....most who tried it died....lol

#3 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:23 AM

I used to trade 50 to 100 trades every year in my younger days. Now I am happily retired, restrict myself to 5 or 6 trades each year (I guess that makes me a strictly Intermediate term investor), since I like my life simplified and love playing golf at the wonderful private club course.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 swanstkdh

swanstkdh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:32 AM

I am thinking about it but know that few make it. My half brother is a pro trader and does very well. The odds are stacked against me on this one so probably not going there.

#5 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:41 AM

I scalp Crude Oil futures and Russel2000 futures for a living. I am skilled and at this point and maintaining personal discipline rather then figuring out what to do determine the degree of my success. Being on this board has been a tremendous education for me and I admire many of the regulars for their knowledge and characters. Starting about four years ago the main theme has been:" just one more rally and there will be a huge plunge". I was part of it but managed to unlearn a lifetime pattern of fading the market and at some point I will come back as a succesful swing or position trader. Could be just in time. I have lived through the amazing commodity bull markets in the seventies and everything tells me that we are entering a similar era. Catching it and hanging on will be the operative phrase but one has to be conditioned not to jump in and out so much.. Regards, F&D
"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#6 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

I have lived through the amazing commodity bull markets in the seventies and everything tells me that we are entering a similar era. Catching it and hanging on will be the operative phrase but one has to be conditioned not to jump in and out so much..

Are you saying that you think we might be about to enter another commodity bull market? With China and India rising and hundreds of millions coming on line that want to have....everything we have...I can see the squeeze for resources.....so it sort of makes sense as far as the "why it could happen". Then again, a huge break in the Chinese market might delay that demand, should they back up for awhile.

Edited by Sentient Being, 03 June 2007 - 07:29 AM.

In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#7 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I beleive that increased demands and dislocations and the inevitable changes in nature patterns are going to cause swings in commodities (and to some degree commodity related stocks) to the magnitude that we can't even imagine even if China moderates it's growth. In some parts of Asia and in the muslim world over 50% of the population is under 30. In the meantime conservation or moderate consumption is not even a known concept to these people. They are looking to use more not less. Hell, its known to us and we can't even implement it. It takes increased efficiency to keep ahead of everyday demands and the room for error is getting smaller and smaller. Since I began trading Sugar#11 for example saw a low of 2c/lb and change and 66c/lb high and back to under 6, now it's around 10. So is it hard for me to see $1.20 Sugar? $12 coffee? $300 uranium? No. Seems like the correct strategy for the long term would be to systematically get into commodity related stocks or ETF's (if you choose to stay away from futures or physicals) every time they knock them down, Some senior members of this board have been doing exactly this. F&D
"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#8 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

Yes, I beleive that increased demands and dislocations and the inevitable changes in nature patterns are going to cause swings in commodities (and to some degree commodity related stocks) to the magnitude that we can't even imagine even if China moderates it's growth. In some parts of Asia and in the muslim world over 50% of the population is under 30. In the meantime conservation or moderate consumption is not even a known concept to these people. They are looking to use more not less. Hell, its known to us and we can't even implement it.

It takes increased efficiency to keep ahead of everyday demands and the room for error is getting smaller and smaller.

Since I began trading Sugar#11 for example saw a low of 2c/lb and change and 66c/lb high and back to under 6, now it's around 10. So is it hard for me to see $1.20 Sugar? $12 coffee? $300 uranium? No.

Seems like the correct strategy for the long term would be to systematically get into commodity related stocks or ETF's (if you choose to stay away from futures or physicals) every time they knock them down,
Some senior members of this board have been doing exactly this.

F&D

Thank you for the responce.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#9 ChickenLittle

ChickenLittle

• Traders-Talk User
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Stock market income has been my only source of income since 1983. I invest long term (80% of funds) but trade for fun (20%). At certain times my long term money will exit the market until a perceived turn has passed. This is my 50th year of "playing" in the market. Buffett's first two rules of investings are the key.
History always repeats . . . only the details change.

#10 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

:) I am a position trader and in the past traded anything and everything. Now mostly stocks, ETFs etc. may be 50% swing trader, 50% position. My posting speaks for itself and also 50 years in this game. :cat:
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!