• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

Just curious (not trading right now) ... but HOW does one place a stop loss that is effective, as Hirsch says "only if the stock closed below the stop loss price." I have never seen that as an online option. Comments welcome. C.C. :blink: :)

#2 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

Just curious (not trading right now) ... but HOW does one place a stop loss that is effective, as Hirsch says "only if the stock closed below the stop loss price." I have never seen that as an online option. Comments welcome.

C.C. :blink: :)

There is no effective way to place a stop.....Everyone will place the stop below a support.....Ond day the price was 1 cent above my stop....I was happy.....Next day....Big gap down.....Blew my stop by a county mile.......Now, no stops.....Just sell them on the way up.....
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#3 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

I actually use this method sometimes on longer term positions with stops based on weekly charts. I wait for the level to be violated on a weekly closing basis. The method basically ignores intraday 'noise' and takes the closing price to avoid this intraday noise.

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

So it can only be done manually (I mean, by watching, yourself) ... it cannot be placed, as an automatic order ... is this correct? Still confused as to what the Almanac Investor people really mean by this. But thank you for the responses. C.C. :unsure: :)

#5 lscharpen

lscharpen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

CC

The type of trade you are asking about I believe is called a "stop close only" (SCO). Whether you can place such an order depends upon whether your 'broker' accepts such orders. For example, I believe Interactive Brokers does accept them. Fro some additional information see this link:

http://www.traderslo...-Only-Order.htm

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never used such an order myself. :)

Lee Scharpen