Immunizations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

I flew on a trip about 3 weeks ago and caught what I thought was a summer cold. I continued to cough a lot and went to the emergency room over the weekend. I was told that I had whooping cough. Most of us received a DPT shot when we we about 5 years old. Apparently the medical profession is finding out that the DPT shot is no longer effective past 35 unless you get it renewed. I had a tetanus shot this Spring [they usually give the diphtheria and pertussis along with it] but mine didn't have the Pertussis immunization. Just suggesting that you get the DPT version to prevent you getting a most uncomfortable ailment. MDW :cry:
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear, but thanks for the heads up. We'll consider that, as we're about to get tetanused next month.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

100% correct.... great advice. Tetanus booster every 10 years. Pertussis at least one booster as an adult, no one knows if more are necessary. Pneumonia Vaccine at around 60 if your are healthy, then every 5 years booster. Get it earlier if you are chronically ill or at risk. Influenza vaccine every fall, late (like October). Varicella Vaccine to prevent shingles is a great idea. Hepatitis vaccines for those at risk (travel, health care workers). mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

MM, Question about flue vaccination. I've never had one. I don't think my parents have either though perhaps they did last year and the year before when they were going bionic on us (knees, hips and eyes). My wife hasn't ever had one either. We "never" get sick, or if we do, it's very minor (like an over night stomach bug or a runny nose or cough or both for a week. We get sick about 1 time per 1.5 years. Yet I hear the hysteria (and it is a truly amazing manipulation of folks) every year. Threats of shortages, talks of epidemics, etc. etc. yet there always seems to be more than enough vaccine in the end. Frankly, I just don't trust it. I've not been convinced that healthy folks who eat right, wash their hands, and who aren't swapping spit with many folks, need to be putting parts of bugs in their body. Seems like the risk reward isn't there. I'm seeing a lot of "cure" looking for a disease and far too many folks far too eager to get me to do something. I smell manipulation.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

My wife was diagnosed with influenza this winter.
She took Tamiflu and was better almost immediately.

On the other hand, I met a guy who was real shakey and could barely walk or speak normally.
Said he got a flu shot which caused a severe reaction and almost killed him.
Now he is permanently disabled because of it.

That image is stuck in my head. :blink:

#6 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Seasonal Influenza or "the flu" is caused by a group a viruses. Worldwide there are between 3 and 5 million cases of severe illness every year and between 300,000 and 500,000 deaths. There are about 35,000 deaths every year in the USA from influenza. The vast majority of deaths are in those over 65 years old. Infection results simply from bad luck. Exposure, followed by infection. Handwashing certainly helps, but it takes a second for virus to be transmitted from a gas pump/shopping cart/credit card receipt etc. to your finger, then your finger absent-mindedly wipes across your eye as you put your wallet away and a few days later you are home in bed with fever, aches, chills, etc. During Pandemic years, the death rate is not only much higher (20 million died in the USA in 1918), but its younger people who are more likely to get sick. This is due to the various strains of virus. For the average "healthy" guy like you, Mark, you are likely to be sick for around 2 to 4 weeks, with fever, aches, upper respiratory symptoms, etc. Some strains will be be pretty brutal, but after a few weeks, you'll recover. Worst case? You lose 2-3 weeks.... For someone older, or with chronic illness, the odds of death and more serious illness increase. Many deaths occur because the flu is so debilitating that during the recovery period you are more susceptible to pneumonia. This is what gets the old folks and clears out the nursing homes...or strep/mono and other illnesses that you might normally be able to fight off. The vaccine is safe and effective. The real downside is that the CDC detectives have to monitor the globe for patterns of outbreak and virtually at the last minute determine which strain (s) are most likely to spread. Then they inform the vaccine makers who then go out and innoculate a zillion eggs and produce the vaccine and ship. SOmetimes this doesn't always happen on a convenient schedule. A few years ago an entire batch was chucked out (we're speaking of multiple millions of doses) hence the delays, and frustration. We live in a global environment. The more of us who get vaccinated, the fewer cases, the less the spread. Its a good and neighbourly thing to do. Do you HAVE to get a flu shot? No, of course. Is it a good, safe thing to do? Yes. I am a big believer in vaccines. WIthout them many of us would not be here. Polio, tetanus, Diptheria, Hepatitis, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella and smallpox. Every see a kid with small pox? Ever see someone breathing through a tube in their neck because of diptheria? Blind from childhood illness? Sterile for life from the mumps? Your grandmother die from the flu? The benefits are real. The risks minimal. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:18 AM

I wish someone had pitched the flu vaccine as neighborly. All I get is a scent of attempted mass manipulation with X-Files music in the background. Makes me distrustful. I'm a little less so now. Most other vaccines I'm generally supportive of, and have probably had or will likely have. I mean, heck, I'm getting a prophylactic tetanus shot shortly...

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here: