#1 snorkels4

snorkels4

bad guy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

please, no food fight :P My Webpage
------------------
The cumulative A-D line is meaningless as a long term measure.

To say nothing of the fact that these indexes have in the past trended in the opposite direction of stock prices for several years at times, there are probably 5 times the number of listed stocks today as there were in the 1950s. I can remember when the daily data read something like 600 up, 300 down, and less than 100 unchanged. The typical net change was a couple hundred or less either way. Today it's often 10 times that. String a few up days together and you can get a year's worth of change in 1950s terms. So comparing the A-D line to where it was in the fifties is patently bogus.

And what good is an indicator that goes counter to stock prices for years at a time. That's supposed to be helpful?

In order for long term comparisons to mean anything they'd have to be normalized to percentages or ratios, or limited to a fixed number. And even that would still mean less than drawing a straight line connecting a series of price points on an index chart.

Furthermore, the AD line is another stat that ignores the fact that once a stock goes to zero, it can't decline any more. They just stop counting it.

It's really amazing how they do that. Stock goes to zero. Total loss. You're done, game over wiped out. You don't count anymore. But your portfolio now has to work a LOT harder and better to make up the loss because there's one less horse pulling the wagon. A dead horse is dead weight. But not with an index. They just replace it with a fresh young horse with legs.

What a joke.

All of these phony indexes will always have an upward bias, regardless of the truth. The day they keep those stocks that go to zero in the divisors is the day they'll mean something. :huh: :huh: :blink:

-----------------------------

QUOTE(Black Prince @ Jun 16 2007, 04:34 PM)
Hui is going to blast off, period. Now as to the Cumulative AD the point the man was making if you go back to 1926 is you can see the maturation of the business cycle in the AD. Post war you had the biggest amount of start ups ergo more new highs. As companies got more mature they did not always make a new high every year. Now you have a great deal of firms outside of the US listing on our exchanges that are new reflecting the rapid world expansion. They are making new highs every year. So we are in an area that would be similar to the rapid, this time globally, expansion of the economies.

The reason the A-D line is rising is because there are more companies in the markets. Period. The differentials today are 10 times what they were in the fifties. That's why the line broke out.

The growing number of companies is an effect of the worldwide credit bubble. It is meaningless as a predictor.

Furthermore, more stocks mean more supply. It's simply ridiculous to think that that's a bullish factor for the long term. It's like saying more houses are bullish for real estate.

The theses are feces. Totally illogical.

-----------------------------------------

QUOTE(Black Prince @ Jun 15 2007, 07:48 PM)
This may be my last post because I will probably do it wrong but I think it is to important and HAS to be read.
Okay here is the web address from Cystal Ball on an essay from Tom Drake

http://www.village20...ages/84732.html

He is the one that developed the 2cs indicator.
It is a piece from Tenario, which I do not recognize though I think I have heard of it.

Category: General Interest
To: ALL
Date Posted: June 15, 2007 at 17:07:54
Subject: cumulative daily NYSE A/D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

someone pointed me to Pete Glass's recent A/D post at the other CB site together with the daily NYSE A/D chart from way back. (go look at Pete's chart.)

stand-alone daily a/d is very useful in breadth measurements as we all know, but in my opinion cumulative long term a/d is and has always been misunderstood by many analysts.

for example, why did NYSE A/D make a bottom between 1932 and 1942? why did it peak in the late 1950's? why did it make a bottom from 1974 to 2001? why has it been flying since then?

i think the answer to all these questions (and the chart) is that cumulative NYSE A/D measures long term new dynamic growth. in other words it measures the vastly increased number of newly formed companies of 5-10 years before the second bottoms which have grown fast enough to make it to the NYSE and are still growing.

we forget, if we ever knew, the tremendous growth of new companies in the 1930's and early 40's as rates were falling. but many of us have experienced that similar dynamic growth in new and vibrant corporations from 1974 to recent years.

and in turn the peak in A/D in the late 1950's was a final growth maturation of all those largely manufacturing corporations of the "old economy". however, the market in price continued to chug on up into the 1966/69/72 highs before collapsing as rising interest rates finally pulled the plug on the weakening old economy.

my impression and belief is that the cumulative NYSE A/D is now telling us that we are still in the early stages of a growth explosion in companies which haven't got old enough yet to become flabby or be killed by interest rates. When flabbiness ensues and rates get "too high" in another decade or so (= +/-), the A/D will make another long term top well before the market does.

given the current rush into "virtual" offshore labor and manufacturing companies, with marketing and finance still on-shore US, my guess is "flabbiness" this time will come when the "last" US company has off-shored everything and that is no longer the right thing to do at that point. (read some of L Gave's descriptions of this phenomenon for a different perspective.) meanwhile despite pullbacks or even an official bear 15% market decline occasionally, the US stock market will still have staying power based on the existence of so many relatively new dynamic growers.

©Tenorio Research 2007

Black P

Heres another three cents worth of opinion--Think of our economy years ago;think of it as realtively healthy...I knw I know but think of it as healthy if nothing else,simply for the sake of argument..

Summarise it metaphorically as being equal to a well running old-fashioned Swiss watch....with gears meshing just right..

Now introduce China and think of it as a very minor loose and rattling gear: noisy but still useful---and think of its wobbling effect as what economists refer to as leads and lags..

Its these leads and lags (money payments,wage scales lagging etc) that if permitted to be compensated by continual insertions of heavier and heavier grades of oil that will eventually result in the wobbly gear jumping completely off of its pin and bringing the whole machine to an abrupt halt that is most worrisome.

When you refer to a time when companies become flabby, I read "flabby" as workers previously laid off by labor arbitrage, now incapable of buying the cheap wealth producing krap of china...

Both Chinese producers and American burger-flipping consumers start whirling around on a treadmill to oblivion...

Switching metafors in mid-stream the clock becomes a gerbil cage

Where each group is deluded into thinking they are winning a never ending race in a gerbil cage, both oblivious to its unending circularity, each one of whom is continually leading (the americans in a race to the employment bottom , the chinese lagging in their ability to produce at a profit)....

At some point the race begins to accelerate,bits of half eaten cheese and fecal material start centrigugally flying out of the cage splattering anything and anybody within a reasonable distance.

Until these leads and lags lead to the universal need for a mass Global lobotomy...

What essentially has happened is that all of human activity has now changed into a mode, where no matter how low on the food chain, with only your labor as capitol,all the way to the highest chautebriand eating member, everyone, is now obligated to speculate on what his life and earings will be a year from now,or six months, then a month a week,day hour until finally its a duration of tiny minutes..

At which point Uncertainty permeates the minutest crack of life, and the norm becomes either betting one's life on the purchase of a donut versus a glass of milk for a child .

beardrech ph34r.gif ph34r.gif If you think this is far fetched ask yourself why,from time to time, whole populations of heretofore reasonable people go beserk
Andy House, Texas Man, Accidentally Drives 2006 Bugatti Veyron Into Salt Marsh

http://www.zimbio.co...Veyron Crashing

#2 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

that wasnt posted on crystal ball forum ....tom drakes post was on Wollie world......ya awta tell the black prince that.....whoever he mite be.......snort

#3 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

It would seem that this thread of opinion has no relationship to the NAAD but towards the NYAD. Based on this information, what is it exactly you're trying to share with the board? Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#4 snorkels4

snorkels4

bad guy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

fib,sorry, i meant nyad i think the original poster meant any cummulative ad lines :blink: i think the poster was saying that cumm ad lines are useless. me, i dont know. im just sharing this to encourage constructive argument.

Edited by snorkels4, 17 June 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#5 ...

• Traders-Talk User
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:30 PM

Aw, c'mon. This is nothing but a reposting of the usual junk and blather which is posted endlessly at CapitalFool. Snork is a long-time Fool poster. I saw it at the time it happened. It was a meaningless interplay betwen the ill-informed Dr. Stool, a former real estate appraiser and perpetual bear (and the guy who didn't even understand how ETFs work, I called him out on it and he finally admitted he was full of it) who writes his stuff for a dwindling band of hard-core bears. Black Prince, being sometimes somewhat rational, doesn't fit in very well amongst the shrinking number of Fool end-of-the-worlders (most of them seem to have lost most of their trading capital) who inhabit that sewer full of malcontents. "The End" is a good example. He used to post lyrics on Fool, ad nauseum cubed. How incredibly useless and annoying is that? A few days ago, he finally admitted that he has lost tons of money and was leaving the business. Works for me. Bitter, loser kooks simply don't matter other than to the extent that they're worth fading, a hard thing to judge to say the least. I normally wouldn't bother to comment on yet another post which is at least indirectly about the coming end of the world, but I've about had my fill of crapola from people who don't know what they're talking about. This supposedly rational, technical board perhaps needs to find a way to eliminate this kind of annoying, useless junk. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

#6 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:55 PM

i think the poster was saying that cumm ad lines are useless.

Well...I'll put it this way. It's been the NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ breadth and volume cumulative lines, these same money flow lines in which many analytical tools are based on, that have given many traders the comfort of trading the markets on the long side now since the 2002 lows in spite of the continuing background of negative noise of "what ifs?" that many have been using to justify their diametrically opposed positions against this same overwhelming trend.

Because of this then, I would find it more meaningful when these same folks "discover" that this information does provide the high degree of merit in which many already know it does as this would be an indication that we're probably closer to a more lasting tradable price top.

And finally...you really have to wonder why after the last 5 years why anyone would continue to read what this community of traders has to say based on how wrong they've been during this time, and amazingly, have steadfastly remained that way in spite of the actuality of it all. Just like money flow, it's always best to follow those of substantive opinions, who have been right on a consistent basis, then to waste your time (and money) with those who haven't.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#7 snorkels4

snorkels4

bad guy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:20 PM

interesting group over at cap stool, entertaining too. ..., i might be a fool poster, but its not from posting at capstool (which has been extremely seldom over 3 years). its from my lame technical analysis and ratio charts :blush: ive been trying to figure technical analysis for about 4 years and have found how truly difficult it is. i read a couple of articles on divergences and thought id found the holy grail only to find out about much more: the most important being to let go of personal biases or learning the many forms that the enemy takes and embracing the seemingly obvious im gradually learning, after this period of observation, who the best analysts are and by this who the best players are. you who share so freely are a great benefit but its hard to separate the chaff from the grain in such a mixed environment with all of the newsnoise and dissonant voices.