How do you derermine it is trend day?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

ww4321, On a bullish trend day, typically the TRIN is low and the breadth is good persistently (roughly more than 60% advancers). The price consistently stays above something like a 20 EMA. On a bearish trend day, typically the TRIN is high and the breadth is bad persistently (roughly more than 60% decliners). The price consistently stays below something like a 20 EMA. And around the morning CIT (10 - 10:30 Est) we see volume expansion. These are just guidelines and there are always exceptions to the aboev rules. Hope that helps.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#12 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

The best way to determine that (and I have tried it many times) is to try to scalp against the trend and lose money on all scalps. By the end of the day you realize it was a trend day.

Denleo

:lol: :D :lol:

Another way is to toss chicken gumbo at your computer screen and if the gravy runs over most of the technical analysis chart, you know it's a trend day ... if not, just eat your dinner.

C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 21 June 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#13 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

The best way to determine that (and I have tried it many times) is to try to scalp against the trend and lose money on all scalps. By the end of the day you realize it was a trend day.

:lol: I love this one! :lol:

You never know when exactly it will be the trend day, however, if you have everything lined up with a compressed range for a few days prior, the odds for a trend day will increase dramatically...

I like looking at the ratio of the standard deviations, say 10 day standard deviation right now and 10 days ago. Similarly, when the cyclical channel top or bottoms are reached and there are momentum divergences (internals etc), then the reversals will be powerful. So, you have to first look for the extremes and then for compressions, the two combined together has better chance for a trend day...

kisack,

If I am ever in your town remind me to never ask you for directions ! :) :D JUst kidding...what ever works is great!