• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

As SS wisely wrote in a previous post: There are specific personality traits that kill ones ability to trade well ... or, for that matter, succeed in any field (including personal health).

Believing "experts" and accepting culturally ingrained lies (you CAN"T live there! you can't be a book author! You can't travel the world! ... add whatever all those teachers told you ... or your parents might have told you ETC). Holding that in your subconscious mind is the kiss of death.

Truth is: there are so few people who aim for big results, that those goals actually have relatively little competition. I said "relatively little" not none. :lol:

Hey, I'm no big hot shot, but it took me 25 years to learn that ... better late than never. :P

Have a friend who is a "brilliant" man ... high IQ, mensa, all that stuff ... and he's conventionally educated in business (MBA, along with oodles of other credentials) ... but he has turned into a dismal failure, financially and socially.

WHY?

It's EGO ... pure and simple. The ego is that part of our brain that stops us from being open to NEW ideas. Ideas that challenge our current belief system. If it doesn't fit our model, then the ego gets angry and fights like mad to keep the status quo. Getting rid of SUBCONSCIOUSLY held ideas is the only way to make progress. But dumping the ego can be painful.

Best to all, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 30 June 2007 - 12:32 PM.

#2 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:38 PM

Of course false bravado, without knowledge, will also break you! :lol: :D :lol: (don't risk the family farm ... or your first born)

Edited by calmcookie, 30 June 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#3 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego

http://en.wikipedia....its_termination

Edited by vitaminm, 30 June 2007 - 10:05 PM.

vitaminm

#4 Vector

Vector

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

Of course false bravado, without knowledge, will also break you! :lol: :D :lol:

(don't risk the family farm ... or your first born)

you nailed it on the head. Its called arrogance. The only thing getting in most people's way is themselves. Whether its making more money in the markets or just plain old making money elsewhere.

As a good Real Estate investor friend of mine says:

"If your life stinks, its your own fault"

Edited by Vector, 01 July 2007 - 07:31 AM.

#5 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

Vector wrote: As a good Real Estate investor friend of mine says: "If your life stinks, its your own fault" Regrettably true. Some people ARE dealt a genetically easier or more difficult deck of cards, but what we do with the cards is what matters. And I agree with your "arrogance" statement. The thing that constantly amazes me are people who keep getting lousy results in their life (money relationships, health ... nothing is working right), but they are still UNWILLING to change and try something else ... ANYTHING ELSE. Afraid of mistakes, I guess. As my mentor, Jack Canfield likes to say: If you keep believing what you've been believing, you'll keep achieving what you've been achieving. Hey, want a different outcome? Quit doing the SAME things over and over again .... not rocket science ! :P Best, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 01 July 2007 - 01:02 PM.