70 year Dow Returns

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

The investment game is even more rigged than I had suspected. From 10/1/1928 to last Friday, almost all Dow points were gained on Mon-Wed days only. What makes this even more diabolical game over long time is that had you bought every Mon open and sold every Wed close, your theoretical return over 80 years would be only lower by 87 Dow points. In the meantime, you could've enjoyed your long weekends and not worry about anything blowing up over the weekend. Is this a coincidence?

I doubt that these trends work out the same way over shorter periods of time, but only 87 Dow points over 80 years? Also consider the margin savings, and opportunity cost of your funds on Thur-Fri.

Posted Image

Edited by linrom1, 09 July 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#2 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

[attachment=5723:attachment]

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

linrom1, if you want to see whether it is still working, exclude the last 2 years from your data and apply to the last 2 years separately, there are just too many program trading now-a-days extracting every penny they can from that kind of historical activity...

#4 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

The investment game is even more rigged than I had suspected. From 10/1/1928 to last Friday, almost all Dow points were gained on Mon-Wed days only. What makes this even more diabolical game over long time is that had you bought every Mon open and sold every Wed close, your theoretical return over 80 years would be only lower by 87 Dow points. In the meantime, you could've enjoyed your long weekends and not worry about anything blowing up over the weekend. Is this a coincidence?

I doubt that these trends work out the same way over shorter periods of time, but only 87 Dow points over 80 years? Also consider the margin savings, and opportunity cost of your funds on Thur-Fri.

Posted Image

and therefore if you sold every friday and bot every wed..(www)......since 1928 your theoretical gain would be 127000 pts..........snort..........ur gettin warm to this game......soon u will get HOT HOT HOT.. :lol: :sweatingbullets: