does anyone think...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Just asking ;) As people know, I have most recently been shorting, and failing badly!! took some small hits.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#2 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

I do. But I can be a good fade sometimes. :)
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#3 ChickenLittle

ChickenLittle

• Traders-Talk User
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

Just asking ;)

As people know, I have most recently been shorting, and failing badly!! took some small hits.

Can you hear Chief saying . . . 2 da moon

At least for OPEX. We just completed one of those little 3 wave corrections from 1:45 to 2:45
History always repeats . . . only the details change.

#4 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

The XAU is signalling the repair for the credit market difficulties is more green wallpaper. It's also saying it's coming soon. I think this is why the XAU breaks and runs/outperforms. The Fed's liquidity repair tool is and will be employed according to the stock market.

#5 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

Can it go parabolic ? Sure. The market can do anything. Will it go parabolic without even a 5-10% correction ? I am skeptical. I think the parabolic blow-off has to be completely unexpected and catch people by surprise. But quite a few on this board as well as other boards are seriously considering the possibility, which is why I think its unlikely to happen. I think the action last Thursday and Friday was also designed to make more people take the idea seriously. Which is why retail is buying calls so aggressively when the indices are poking through their daily and weekly upper bollinger bands. I think the financials hold the key. If the market goes parabolic, the financials have to participate. Right now they are lagging bigtime. If tape action in the financials improves considerably, I will reconsider the possibility of the parabolic blowoff.

#6 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

It already is parabolic. The question is, how long does the parabola last.

#7 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

This market is NOT parabolic.....you may not have seen anything yet...could be just a very big bull market.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$OEX:$SPX&p=D&st=1990-01-01&i=p69514563362&a=98616671&r=6309.png

#8 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

I think people have their own definitions of what constitutes a parabloic move. My definition : In the near term, a move of about 10-20% in the major averages in about twenty trading days where the price relentlessly walks the upper 20 period daily bollinger band day-after-day. Summers of 1998 and 1987 come to mind.

#9 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

does anyone think..., this market can go parabolic???

Define "parabolic". Looking at some of the monthly charts, the current angle of ascent from the July 2006 lows could be defined as such.

Fib

a move of about 10-20% in the major averages in about twenty trading days where the price relentlessly walks the upper 20 period daily bollinger band day-after-day.

Aside from the 20 trading days, would something like this suffice?

Fib

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$INDU&p=D&st=2006-01-01&i=t17226505098&r=9028.png

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#10 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

You guys are too busy lusting after those Brazilian models. You gotta look at Bovespa sometimes. That's what a parabola is !

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV