AAPL ... hedgehogs on the run.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

From AT&T's earnings this morning. The company said sales of the Apple iPhone "have been robust." AT&T activated 146,000 iPhone subscribers in the last two days of the quarter. "Sales of the iPhone continue to be strong in July with store traffic above historical levels," AT&T said. Hmm.. I think it's quite a bit less then was expected. I thought they sold 200+ thousand or a million, or 2 millinon. Whatever the expectations were for the first 2 days of sale. 146k, seems kinda on a low end. No wonder for that overpriced phone, that is available only at one carrier. (the dumbest thing ever, considering so many people are stuck in multi year contracts with their other carriers, its a hasstle for them to switch, just so they could get an overpriced phone) There goes the QQQQ.

Edited by ogm, 24 July 2007 - 06:53 AM.

#2 Curt

Curt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

Wait till the batteries start to die and the lack of software or being hacked hits the mainstream news. :) I love apple for their inovation! I suspect Steve has a trick up his sleave or he wouldn't have done this dumb deal, on Edge no doubt. There has to be an act-2 that will eclipse this lame duck with ATT/Edge. Then watch ATT tank. I feel there's a priced for perfection in both ATT and apple. Time will tell if their PPS holds through the end of summer seasonal trough. GLTA, curt

#3 BearItch

BearItch

• Traders-Talk User
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

Hey, jusl listen to Piper Jaffery. Recall these guys did not even bother to wait until earnings to jack up their AAPL price objective...from $160 to over $200. Now let's look at their I-Phone estimates: iPhone sales said to hit half-million New Apple device lives up to the hype, though some buyers have activation woes; availability mixed at Apple Stores heading into new week. July 2 2007: 8:22 AM EDT "NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Opening weekend sales of iPhones may have reached 500,000, according to an analyst's estimate, as Apple's much anticipated product saw sales that lived up to and even exceeded its hype. Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster released a report Sunday night estimating that the iPhone sales would reach that mark through the close of business Sunday. He had previously forecast first weekend sales of 200,000 of the device, which sells for either $499 or $599." Uh, oh..... :o Maybe he was counting the resellers on ebay twice...once in the appl store and once on ebay. Or, maybe the thing to do was to buy them and resell them. No need to activate them.

Edited by BearItch, 24 July 2007 - 07:16 AM.

#4 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

iPhone demand has seen significant decline.
iBarf.

Edited by selecto, 24 July 2007 - 07:20 AM.

#5 BearItch

BearItch

• Traders-Talk User
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:24 AM

More:

"iPhone Sales Estimates 250,000-525,000
Monday July 02, 2007 12:13 PM EST
Posted by arn

After opening weekend for iPhone sales, the analysts are taking their guesses at how many iPhones sold over the weekend. Without official numbers, these are simply estimates by analysts.

Shaw Wu claims that 250,000 units sold over two days, while Gene Munster estimates 500,000 and Trip Chowdhry says 525,000 for the weekend.

iPhone sales kicked off with massive lines (Apple.com Photo Gallery) and we have heard that 5th Avenue's iPhone sales alone on opening day reached 5000 units."

And more:

"Estimates put iPhone sales at over 500,000
Device sold out in most stores by Monday afternoon
P-I STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

Apple Inc.'s initial iPhone sales may have beat analysts' top projections, suggesting Chief Executive Steve Jobs will reach his goal of making mobile phones as profitable for the company as computers and the iPod.

Shoppers may have bought as many as 700,000 units over the weekend, Goldman Sachs Inc. analyst David Bailey said, twice his projection of 350,000. Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster pegged sales at about 500,000, more than twice his original 200,000 estimate."

Article Link

Edited by BearItch, 24 July 2007 - 07:26 AM.

#6 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

I think T could sell more i-phones if they had them in the store, I checked in a couple of local stores, they didn't have them. In any case, someone was saying the PDE phone sales is not an aggressively growing market, so I am not sure it will be like the I-Pods. This realisation might be hitting Apple this morning...