NYSE McClellan Oscillator Observation Comparison

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 skyymaster

skyymaster

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

I am still learning this super tool but looking at the NYSE chart on this, I see that the oscillator want below -75 like it did back in February. That was the bottoming process then.

However, it is different this time or so it seems.

The NYSE Summations want below 0 by a good margin. It did not back in February.

http://stockcharts.c.../McSumNYSE.html

My question is what does that telling us. Is the market getting ready to fall apart? :blink:

Any opinions from those who are versed in this will be appreciated.

Thank you
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time.

#2 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

I am still learning this super tool but looking at the NYSE chart on this, I see that the oscillator want below -75 like it did back in February. That was the bottoming process then.

My question is what does that telling us. Is the market getting ready to fall apart? :blink:

Thank you

The summation index tells you downside momentum is strong with no sign of letting up since the June high. Price is now catching up with momentum. Since momentum has to bottom first price has a lot lower lows ahead of us.

The McOsci is now at the same level as the March low for a possible double bottom. The McOsci has to get back above zero to even think about stopping the summation from adding to down side momentum.

Today the NYSE McOsci bottoms if net A-D is better than -990, NAZ better than -760 and SnP better than -135 issues. The McOsci tops below zero next week would be a serious negative for the markets.

Larry
"If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough"

Twitter site

d:^)

#3 skyymaster

skyymaster

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

Thank you

The summation index tells you downside momentum is strong with no sign of letting up since the June high. Price is now catching up with momentum. Since momentum has to bottom first price has a lot lower lows ahead of us.

The McOsci is now at the same level as the March low for a possible double bottom. The McOsci has to get back above zero to even think about stopping the summation from adding to down side momentum.

Today the NYSE McOsci bottoms if net A-D is better than -990, NAZ better than -760 and SnP better than -135 issues. The McOsci tops below zero next week would be a serious negative for the markets.

Larry

Thanks Larry, McClellan has some learning stuff on his site. Just need to take the time to learn it. I am still evaluating yours as well.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

#4 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

Thank you

Larry

Thanks Larry, McClellan has some learning stuff on his site. Just need to take the time to learn it. I am still evaluating yours as well.

Have you looked at Bobs Breadth web page? He is da man on Breadth and the Presidential cycle analysis?

http://cyclewave.hom...ketbreadth.html

LT

Twitter site

#5 underabigw

underabigw

• Traders-Talk User
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Larry,

I'm new here. I just wanted to thank you for your excellent and thoughtful explanation of what the Summation index is telling us about the market.

I look forward to your future posts.

Thanks again.

Thank you

Larry

#6 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

Larry,

So you are not sure whether the market will do another leg down? From your previous post I understand you are playing this bounce but expect a bottom retest (naturally, given the volume), but you are unsure of whether we make another leg down or go for new highs after the retest?

Btw, what are your targets for this rally?

Thank you

Larry

Have you looked at Bobs Breadth web page? He is da man on Breadth and the Presidential cycle analysis?

LT

“be right and sit tight”

#7 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

Larry,

So you are not sure whether the market will do another leg down? From your previous post I understand you are playing this bounce but expect a bottom retest (naturally, given the volume), but you are unsure of whether we make another leg down or go for new highs after the retest?

Btw, what are your targets for this rally?

Thank you

Larry

LT

First event I need to see is one more sligthly lower low or even a retest low of yesterdays low. Then a bounce rally to at least next Friday. Cannot give a price target for the rallly until I input this week high low close into the price projection model. I can tell you this, once the low for this drop is in either today or early Monday it should bounce at least 38% with 50% of the down move possible. I then zero in with the price projection model.

Twitter site

#8 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

My question is what does that telling us. Is the market getting ready to fall apart?

In its simplest form, the McClellan Summation Index measures the intermediate term trend of money flow as represented by the Advance/Decline line. The separation of the postings give you a quick visual of the amplitude of this same money flow trend at any given time.

The recent move below the zero line is part of what is called a "Summation Failure" pattern and this produces "crash like" events as the bulls attempt to hold the current trend and fail to do so (at or near the zero line) and the bears abruptly take control ( by moving below this same line of neutrality).

Since this data is based solely on the A/D line itself, such failures can have different contexts all dependent on the longer term direction of breadth itself. And based on this, no, the market is not "ready to fall apart", but in fact, is closer to completing the correctional process that began earlier this year based on the current data.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#9 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$NYS...2565&r=6890

My look technically at the NYSE summation index. Note it topped first of the year and is getting near a typical bottom. Note the technical CCI indicators, not there yet, need another leg down after the FOMC meeting.

LT

Twitter site

#10 skyymaster

skyymaster

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

My question is what does that telling us. Is the market getting ready to fall apart?

In its simplest form, the McClellan Summation Index measures the intermediate term trend of money flow as represented by the Advance/Decline line. The separation of the postings give you a quick visual of the amplitude of this same money flow trend at any given time.

The recent move below the zero line is part of what is called a "Summation Failure" pattern and this produces "crash like" events as the bulls attempt to hold the current trend and fail to do so (at or near the zero line) and the bears abruptly take control ( by moving below this same line of neutrality).

Since this data is based solely on the A/D line itself, such failures can have different contexts all dependent on the longer term direction of breadth itself. And based on this, no, the market is not "ready to fall apart", but in fact, is closer to completing the correctional process that began earlier this year based on the current data.

Fib

Thank you Fib. Looking forward to joining your chat.