• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wombat

Wombat

• Traders-Talk User
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

http://www.theglobea...PStory/Business

I found this article yesterday. This man is the brother of the CEO of Pepsi, a PhD, perfect credentials, a hedge fund manager at Trident Investment Management who made 10% last week and who used to work in mortgage-backed securities for Smith Barney.

He says the REAL credit crunch hasn't even hit yet:

<<When a real credit crunch hits - and we have not seen it yet - some banks and hedge funds won't even be able to figure out for months what their losses are on high-risk debt.

So they'll be paralyzed. And then? Lending activity dries up overnight, which leads to a U.S. recession, which brings on a global recession. "This could potentially make Long-Term Capital [whose collapse helped fuel the '98 crisis] look like some kind of walk in the park," Mr. Narayanan says. >>

He thinks we are only in the second or third inning of the credit crunch. <<The best-case scenario? A replay of the summer of '98, when the Dow lost about 20 per cent in a month-and-a-half. The worst? "More like the Great Depression of this century.">>

#2 ChickenLittle

ChickenLittle

• Traders-Talk User
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

http://www.theglobea...PStory/Business

I found this article yesterday. This man is the brother of the CEO of Pepsi, a PhD, perfect credentials, a hedge fund manager at Trident Investment Management who made 10% last week and who used to work in mortgage-backed securities for Smith Barney.

He says the REAL credit crunch hasn't even hit yet:

<<When a real credit crunch hits - and we have not seen it yet - some banks and hedge funds won't even be able to figure out for months what their losses are on high-risk debt.

So they'll be paralyzed. And then? Lending activity dries up overnight, which leads to a U.S. recession, which brings on a global recession. "This could potentially make Long-Term Capital [whose collapse helped fuel the '98 crisis] look like some kind of walk in the park," Mr. Narayanan says. >>

He thinks we are only in the second or third inning of the credit crunch. <<The best-case scenario? A replay of the summer of '98, when the Dow lost about 20 per cent in a month-and-a-half. The worst? "More like the Great Depression of this century.">>

What a ray of sunshine. :cry:
History always repeats . . . only the details change.

#3 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

OR......a heavy dose of reality? :wacko:
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:12 AM

Remember Ravi Batra ? :P

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV