Sentiment on a larger scale

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zedor

zedor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

I did not see a single post about the tragedy of the bridge collapse in Minnesota.

Guess no one thought it had any relevance to the market.

But in fact it does and in a big way.

Looking at the CNN headline this morning encapsulates an important concept

Federal data show that nearly a quarter of the nation's bridges longer than 20 feet are categorized as "structurally deficient" or worse, including the Minnesota bridge now crumbled in the Mississippi River. Experts say a lack of money and leadership has resulted in many major bridges carrying more traffic than they were designed to bear.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ture/index.html

Lack of money ? With both a stock and real-estate market that made all time highs just recently ? The richest nation in the world does not have the money to keep bridges safe?

Is there ever a lack of money for program trades to push stocks higher?

This tells me that the reality of the "wealth" and financial well being of the US is way over stated by the stock market. It is in denial of the reality. It is in a la la land of valuation and this is starting to hit and hit hard and strong.

Taxes are going to have to go up to pay for things. And thus it wont be going into the market.

Minnesota was a collapse that will have reverberations on Wall Street.

Posted Image

Edited by zedor, 03 August 2007 - 05:04 AM.

#2 donone

donone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:08 AM

Down in NZ we give our sympathy for you problems. We have seen the TV footage, it is quite amazing. I have said on many occasions, look at the Australian market for the true posiiton of world equity markats.IT DOES NOT BELIEVE THE SHENNAGINS GOING ON ON WALL STREET. This is a true market without any interferance from the authorities.

#3 BearItch

BearItch

• Traders-Talk User
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:27 AM

Zedor -- So the condition of bridges and lack of funding accross this country is a market surprise? I don't think so.

#4 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

Tens of thousands of bridges are classified as "structurally deficient." This sounds bad, but it does not mean that a bridge is unsafe. It does mean that the bridge will require some work at some point which should not be surprising since no bridge improves with age and use. Virtually all of this work gets done or bridges close and/or are disassembled. This is why bridge collapses are exceedingly rare events. You have a far greater chance of winning the lottery than being on a bridge that collapses. None of the above deminishes your point that this all takes money, lots of it. TM