Need tips about Pittsburgh, PA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 youmast

youmast

• TT Patron+
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:18 AM

Next week I'm going to visit 3 houses near Pittsburgh Airport, and one lake property in Erie, PA. I've bought them on the foreclosure auction last month. Perhaps it was the stupidest deal I ever had on internet, but the price was so miserable that I can't resist (yeah, just like penny stocks that never make money). BTW one city called "Monaca". At least I can say, "I own huge properties in Monaco, the most expensive RE market in the world!" :D Anyhow.... would you tell me something "special" about this place, something that I can't find on internet? How is the real life out there? People... Real estate... Trafic... Must see spots... "Don't do it" things... Any practical tips would help. I know nothing about America outside very best parts of California, New York, Seattle, Philadelphia. "Beaver county" for me sounds like "Monkey mountain" somewhere in Africa. I need to survive 48 hours out there. :( Thanks,

#2 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

Erie is a hell-hole but Pittsburgh is a nice city. Pittsburgh has a fair bit of history, crime is low, there are nice restaurants, theaters, etc. Andy Warhol was from Pittsburgh and there is the Andy Warhol museum of modern art in downtown Pittsburgh, which is a great museum if modern art is your thing. A lot of other museums too. There's some world-class music, opera and dance in downtown Pittsburgh. Frank lloyd Wright's masterpiece Falling Water is about a one and a half hour drive from Pittsburgh. Of course there is the "coal hill" ride which everybody will tell you about. The best thing IMO about Pittsburgh is the scenery of the regions close to it. Some truly idyllic places around if you like camping, hiking, whitewater rafting, etc. Pittsburgh has a lot of sprawl. Most people who work in Pittsburgh dont live there. They drive from as far as 100 miles away. So, while the traffic within the city of Pittsburgh is not bad, the roads leading in and out the city tend to get clogged. Pittsburgh-Monroeville is fairly multicultural (though nearly nowhere as much as California or the Pac Northwest) but the regions surrounding it are provincial. People are crazy about Sports, especially football in Pittsburgh. Following the Steelers is a semi-religion. You have the Steelers Stadium and the Pirates Stadium. Thats all I can think of for now. KS

#3 Frac_Man

Frac_Man

Hank Wernicki M.A.

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

I live on Lake Erie. Where is the property that you bought ?

Hank

Next week I'm going to visit 3 houses near Pittsburgh Airport, and one lake property in Erie, PA. I've bought them on the foreclosure auction last month. Perhaps it was the stupidest deal I ever had on internet, but the price was so miserable that I can't resist (yeah, just like penny stocks that never make money). BTW one city called "Monaca". At least I can say, "I own huge properties in Monaco, the most expensive RE market in the world!" :D

Anyhow.... would you tell me something "special" about this place, something that I can't find on internet? How is the real life out there? People... Real estate... Trafic... Must see spots... "Don't do it" things... Any practical tips would help.

I know nothing about America outside very best parts of California, New York, Seattle, Philadelphia. "Beaver county" for me sounds like "Monkey mountain" somewhere in Africa. I need to survive 48 hours out there. :(

Thanks,

#4 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

To check out a city, go here :

http://www.cityratin...estatistics.asp

To check out the real estate comps , go here :

http://www.zillow.com/

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

Yuri, Pittsburgh is up river from us (quite a way, so don't go peein' in the river :lol:). In many ways it's a nice town, a lot like Cincinnati. Actually, I gather it has more going on than Cincy, but of course, I live in Covington. In any case, expect the folks to be surprisingly nice and polite, also a bit provincial. That's all I got on Pitts, but if you have much of a layover at CVG, let me know. We'll buy you lunch or something. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I lived in an area called Hazelwood. I went to Penn State Univ and then University of Pittsburgh. It's a great city. Much has changed since the steel mills closed. The city is clean and the rivers are clear. Rich