Photo

Options max pain for the indexes??? North of here?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Curt

Curt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

My favorite free site that calc's the max pain point of the options on that stock/index is dead. Does someone have a URL/site that calcs the max pain price? My feeling from the outstanding put/calls is that we are well south of max pain meaning next week has a strong up bias to save the Boyz and MM's alot of cash from in the money puts. Tnx curt

#2 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:18 AM

Just eyeballing the open interest configuration of the SPX, it appears 1525 maybe the Max-Pain point. But there is a huge put and call cluster at the 1450 strike. That would tend to have a pinning effect. Looking at lower strike prices, the next big put clusters (possible support) are at 1425 and 1400.

#3 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:30 AM

Similarly eyeballing the QQQQ chart suggests 48 to be the max-pain point.

#4 Curt

Curt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Doesn't anyone have a website that calcs max pain?

This site is broken: http://www.iqauto.com/cgi-bin/pain.pl

??

tnx curt

#5 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

no calcs, but you can eyeball open interest

http://www.marketwat...p...rs=1&bars=2

Im wondering myself if the derivative situation is why central banks are doing all they can...dynamic hedging will put pressure on the market as it goes down, and the various terms of contracts and unlisted options may kick at various points, making different institutions liable for delivery/payment etc - they likely have no way to keep on top of their derivative AR/AP #s in this fast moving market - and the listed options are just a small indicative of what the larger unlisted market has. best is they get a respite to square some positions, and repositon for more downside....IMO

klh
best,
klh

#6 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

Good points, dasein. Thats along the lines of what I'm thinking as well. Trend has changed and this liquidity will enable the big banks to make a graceful exit from some of their riskiest positions.

#7 darnelds

darnelds

• Traders-Talk User
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

Kaiser,
Any guess to the max point of pain for GS? I'm still holding half my puts.
D

Good points, dasein. Thats along the lines of what I'm thinking as well.

Trend has changed and this liquidity will enable the big banks to make a graceful exit from some of their riskiest positions.