Tight grip of FEAR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

Panics are dangerous. This market can drop huge tomorrow, now that we broke support. Financial markets should be completely paralyzed by now. There should be absolutely no activity in any kind of debt paper. Wonder what the Fed will do. That said, I think this dump is an incredible opportunity to pick up some quality stuff that is getting absolutely demolished right now.

Edited by ogm, 14 August 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#2 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

Panics are dangerous. This market can drop huge tomorrow, now that we broke support.

Financial markets should be completely paralyzed by now. There should be absolutely no activity in any kind of debt paper.

Wonder what the Fed will do.

That said, I think this dump is an incredible opportunity to pick up some quality stuff that is getting absolutely demolished right now.

where? well maybe but i think after she bounces its stilldown she goes. still an overall bull however.

a bounce could even go to new highs, test up or whatever, too earley to tell. at the moment right now it is SLOPE OF HOPE until she bounces.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#3 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

Panics are dangerous. This market can drop huge tomorrow, now that we broke support.

Financial markets should be completely paralyzed by now. There should be absolutely no activity in any kind of debt paper.

That said, I think this dump is an incredible opportunity to pick up some quality stuff that is getting absolutely demolished right now.

where? well maybe but i think after she bounces its stilldown she goes. still an overall bull however.

a bounce could even go to new highs, test up or whatever, too earley to tell. at the moment right now it is SLOPE OF HOPE until she bounces.

What slope of hope ? when was Equity put call last time at 1 ? This is fear.

#4 JAP

JAP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Good, I hope it continues. From February to July the market's been going up on nothing but hot air.

No more liquidity, no more LBOs... how sad :cry:

The FED boys caused all of this. The best thing they can do is do nothing, and let the market correct to the level it should be.

#5 James Quillian

James Quillian

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

I am absoluetly amazed. Last week the financial news was all of the tone that that a huge decline had already occured and the Dow was up for the week.

A down day has been a rare thing for a long time. So, 200 points down seems like a crash. But what we have seen so far doesn't even qualify as a healthy ccorrection. That being said, I am still very bearish.

If this is a panic now, I can only imagine what it will be like if a genuine bear market gets started. This is sissy stuff.

James

#6 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

I am absoluetly amazed. Last week the financial news was all of the tone that that a huge decline had already occured and the Dow was up for the week.

A down day has been a rare thing for a long time. So, 200 points down seems like a crash. But what we have seen so far doesn't even qualify as a healthy ccorrection. That being said, I am still very bearish.

If this is a panic now, I can only imagine what it will be like if a genuine bear market gets started. This is sissy stuff.

James

I didn't say panic in stock market, though its getting close... There is certainly no lack of fear.

The panic is in the financial sphere. The activity is coming to a grinding halt. No one knows what to do. Mountains of paper have no buyers now. Someone is stuck holding them. Now it doesn't mean that the payments on it have stopped. But the market for the paper itself is nonexistant, unless its pennies on the dollar.

Thats why the stocks are selling... to raise cash. Earnings aren't horrible, companies are doing fine, most balance sheets are clean. Economic activity hasn't come to a halt yet. Of course there is danger it will.

Everyone right now is thinking the most dire scenarios about the end of the world.. yes.. you too :)

So am I :)

We'll see what the world banks can do here. They definitely must do something. Or as I said, all your short profits you'll have to spend on guns , ammo and security equipment. Basicaly.. be careful what you wish for....

#7 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

ogm, maybe we agre to differ, but I dont see the fear you are referring to. the p/c ratio is fair comment but that will be alleviated on any bounce. just my views, maye wrong. i dotry to stay nimble so may well trade in the same direction as you in any event.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#8 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

I don't sense much fear. If there was genuine fear we would see a genuine crash, say 10% over 2 days. We barely have a small correction, still in single digits. This qualifies for one of the longest periods in history of SPX without a 10% correction. Actually, a big down day would clean out all the weak bulls and make a IT bottom. But instead it feels like a cut here and there. The bull is bleeding, but no where near collapse.

Edited by pdx5, 14 August 2007 - 05:38 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule