Photo

Off topic - dial up to wireless - can no longer email?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

Have to admit living in the stone age ... always had dial-up, until today. Decided to share the cost of wireless with my nearby neighbour. Everything works fine with the wireless connection, surfing net etc, except I can no longer send email. Keeps coming up with an error message. My email addresses are mainly with earthlink.net. Read a load of information on the earthlink help site (my dial up service) ... but still can't find the answer. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, C.C. :(

#2 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

one trouble shooting link -

http://nemesis.lones...il_trouble.html

#3 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Have to admit living in the stone age ... always had dial-up, until today. Decided to share the cost of wireless with my nearby neighbour. Everything works fine with the wireless connection, surfing net etc, except I can no longer send email. Keeps coming up with an error message. My email addresses are mainly with earthlink.net. Read a load of information on the earthlink help site (my dial up service) ... but still can't find the answer. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, C.C. :(

Email cannot be sent over a wireless if the connection is not your provider. For example if your neighbor has the ISP connection and you connect to his wireless you cannot send an email with his ISP. Found that out at a Hotel wireless recently. Had to use the phone line to connect to my ISP to send an email.

LT
"If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough"

Twitter site

d:^)

#4 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

So your internet connection is working, you can surf the internet, you can post here....but you cannot make the connection to your email provider? Are you using outlook?
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#5 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

Have to admit living in the stone age ... always had dial-up, until today. Decided to share the cost of wireless with my nearby neighbour. Everything works fine with the wireless connection, surfing net etc, except I can no longer send email. Keeps coming up with an error message. My email addresses are mainly with earthlink.net. Read a load of information on the earthlink help site (my dial up service) ... but still can't find the answer. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, C.C. :(

Email cannot be sent over a wireless if the connection is not your provider. For example if your neighbor has the ISP connection and you connect to his wireless you cannot send an email with his ISP. Found that out at a Hotel wireless recently. Had to use the phone line to connect to my ISP to send an email.

LT

You could get him to add an email account for you on his ISP..... :P
"If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough"

Twitter site

d:^)

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

So your internet connection is working, you can surf the internet, you can post here....but you cannot make the connection to your email provider? Are you using outlook?

Yes, everything is working ... as far as surfing the net ... just cannot send or receive emails. Yes, am using Outlook.

Is getting my neighbour to add an email account, the ONLY solution? If so, that's not good.

(Thanks for all your comments ... I think I can find a solution somewhere here ... will look at link, Hiker ... and thanks for hotel experience stuff etc ... appreciate it)

Edited by calmcookie, 21 August 2007 - 07:38 PM.

#7 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

There may be a work around for now. My provider (Comcast) offers a connection over the internet with a web browser. I can sit at work, surf the internt to comcast, log in using my primary account name and password, and they have a mail program that accesses my email through my web browser. I think many providers do this. You might want to check that out, your favorite email address may have a web-browser log in you can use to do your mail. So I guess what I'm saying is, right now you might be able to surf over to your email providers web site, log in to your account via your web browser, and deal with your email there.

Edited by Sentient Being, 21 August 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#8 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

There may be a work around for now. My provider (Comcast) offers a connection over the internet with a web browser. I can sit at work, surf the internt to comcast, log in using my primary account name and password, and they have a mail program that accesses my email through my web browser.

I think many providers do this. You might want to check that out, your favorite email address may have a web-browser log in you can use to do your mail.

So I guess what I'm saying is, right now you might be able to surf over to your email providers web site, log in to your account via your web browser, and deal with your email there.

Ha, yes, I never thought of that ... I can log into earthlink and send and receive, I think. Have done that several times while on vacation.

Thanks! C.C. :) (Appreciate EVERYONE's input ... always find good answers on this board!)

Edited by calmcookie, 21 August 2007 - 07:49 PM.

#9 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:46 PM

I can't trade worth spit, but I do know a little tech. :)

#10 hpm123

hpm123

• Traders-Talk User
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

CC.. Do you have authentication/authorization enabled on your outgoing mail server setting? You'll most likely need this enabled if your neighbor is not using earthlink as their ISP. Do you know where to find this setting? Look for a tab noted as "outgoing server". Location varies depending on what version of Outlook being used. And just for general info, what ISP is your neighbor using?