OMG what if

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

What happens then? Any thoughts anyone? Thanks. I think I am gonna take my time on my next trade....up of down.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#2 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

Our economy will go down the tubes. Housing market crash... Stock market crash... Depression...

#3 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

Honestly, a rate cut will only have limited symbolic value at this point. But the reality is that the market is pricing in the apocalyptic scenario right now. Expectations for everything are getting waay too low. What scenario of the massive economic depression in the US you haven't envisioned in your head over the last couple weeks ? Will anything surprize you ? How about Housing prices up in Seattle, Portland, Dallas.... is that surprizing to you, or you thought the whole world has already ended ? From this point on there can be no negative surprizes. Only positive.

Edited by ogm, 28 August 2007 - 11:51 AM.

#4 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

A cut was priced in as of last Friday, imho. If we don't get it-it won't be fresh.

#5 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

....and what if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow? Or the seasons don't change, and it stays summer forever? ;) "The inevitable march towards lower rates continues...."

Edited by IYB, 28 August 2007 - 01:23 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#6 SandStorm

SandStorm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

I think at this point one 25 basis points cut in fed funds won't be enough. The market is already assuming that. We need two or a 50 basis points cut to support stocks.

#7 SandStorm

SandStorm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Honestly, a rate cut will only have limited symbolic value at this point.

But the reality is that the market is pricing in the apocalyptic scenario right now. Expectations for everything are getting waay too low. What scenario of the massive economic depression in the US you haven't envisioned in your head over the last couple weeks ?

Will anything surprize you ?

How about Housing prices up in Seattle, Portland, Dallas.... is that surprizing to you, or you thought the whole world has already ended ?

From this point on there can be no negative surprizes. Only positive.

Everyone yells fire but few are actually selling. Markets still down just single digit even though we are facing the biggest risk factor since 911. The nagative fundamental is too obviously bearish to ignore.

Edited by SandStorm, 28 August 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#8 JAP

JAP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

I hope they cut 50 basis points, it'll make me feel really good about my recent 12 month, 30K CD that I locked in at 5.35%. :P