Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

Great to have you aboard Tim... Tim

#12 phineas_gage

phineas_gage

• Traders-Talk User
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Greenie,
I love your avatar. I guess I was a little too opaque. I will and do trade purely off technicals, but I'm no Pavlov's dog. I guess a better way to put it, is that I buy/short with more than just a blinking light, or a macd crossover. I've got a lot of skin in the game and at least 10 technical indicators/regimens have worked well for me at various times over the last 20 years, but none have worked for the whole period, or for more than a year or two over that time. Starting as I did as a floor clerk, the only things that I have looked at every single day, without fail, are TICK and TRIN. I can make pretty good money with just those, and no charts at all.
A better encapsulation of my style might be "buy/short with your gut, chart, or whatever gets you to press the button and let the technicals Sell/Cover for you."

The only difference between a good trader and a bad trader is money management.

Anyway, thanks for the warning, but my style is low key and I'm not here to ruffle any feathers.

Welcome to the board Tim. Please keep in mind that your style (using fundamentals for trade origination and technicals for risk/money management) will not be liked by the people here. They will not trust that anybody can trade successfully in that manner, and even if you show real-time examples, they will ignore such posts. Excluding those nuisances, this is a fine board with many good traders.

Best to you !!

#13 caspary

caspary

• Traders-Talk User
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

"The only difference between a good trader and a bad trader is money management." Welcome aboard!!!! I've already thoroughly enjoyed and learned from your posts and it is only day #1!! thanks and I for one will be following your comments closely to learn from a former and current "pro". G/Luck!

#14 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

:) Welcome. You will over time note that there are several who trade/position close to the style you mentioned. Myself, I do mostly stocks and etfs. Most are very friendly and only when someone is on the wrong side do the "noise" get loud. :blush: Look forward to you insights. mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#15 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

I am glad to see a poster who does not ignore fundamentals -or- funnymentals as it is derisively called here. Will look forward to your posts. A famous general said, never ignore any small bit of intelligence (information obtained by surreptitious means) before commiting men and material. At this juncture, I see the market as confused. What else can explain a 15:1 down day followed immediately by a 19:1 up day. Nothing can change that fast in either fundamentals or TA to get such opposite moves. There was not any geo-political incident, nor any earthshaking news on the economy. This TA board is divided if you look at the daily polls. So, until we get a better direction, it is not good to be a bull or a bear. Just be a jackal, and pick up whatever scraps can be picked up on daily basis.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule