Gap fill trade

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

Shorting some cubes around 48.78. I expect the gap to be filled later today.

Edited by NAV, 31 August 2007 - 11:11 AM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#2 BigBadBear

BigBadBear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

Good luck, Lots of dip buying but I hope you are right and my trade is 'rescued'

#3 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

Just curious NAV. What are you seeing thats causing you to fight a trend-up day on excllent breadth ?

#4 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hmm... once again.. WHY ?

A/D is just getting better and better.

Look how SPX and DOW trying to break out here. And they most likely will by the close. I seriously doubt we'll have any significant weakness into the close.

Very stubborn bearishness once again with high put call, and people trying to short this. Momentum is up on 60 min charts, daily looks like a powerful inverse H&S forming.

Market has calmed down and volatility is gone.

Short trade makes absolutely no sense here, IMO.

#5 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

Just curious NAV.

What are you seeing thats causing you to fight a trend-up day on excllent breadth ?

Based on VST price momentum.

WOW, you guys are sooo bullish that a simple VST event like a gap-fill is also precluded. Gap-fill is bullish, if it happens and it can happen strong breadth notwithstandng.

Anyway, closed my trade at 48.90 for a small loss and i am out. Have a good long weekend everyone. Will open some swing short positions after the long weekend.

Edited by NAV, 31 August 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#6 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

WOW, you guys are sooo bullish that a simple VST event like a gap-fill is also precluded. Gap-fill is bullish, if it happens and it can happen strong breadth notwithstandng.

Anyway, closed my trade at 48.90 for a small loss and i am out. Have a good long weekend everyone. Will open some swing short positions after the long weekend.

NAV, no offense, you're a very good trader. But I think you're exhibiting a typical pattern of behavior at this point.

You were correctly bullish . You were planning on buying every dip when the market did exactly what you expected it to do. Then something happened that made you confused and you lost track of the events. Probably some thought on fundamentals.
And now you're failing to recognize the move that is taking place and you are starting to fight the trend.

I've had these things happen to me quite a few times, so believe me I know :)

Edited by ogm, 31 August 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#7 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

Look how SPX and DOW trying to break out here. And they most likely will by the close. I seriously doubt we'll have any significant weakness into the close.

Very stubborn bearishness once again with high put call, and people trying to short this. Momentum is up on 60 min charts, daily looks like a powerful inverse H&S forming.

oqm,

You had asked me the same question when i shorted ES at 1505 after which it collapsed 140 points.

You asked me the same question yesterday and we sold off 15 points on ES.

Remember i am a swing trader. I short when things look the best, based on momentum confirmation. I buy when things are the worst, based on momo confirmation again.

NAV, no offense, you're a very good trader. But I think you're exhibiting a typical pattern of behavior at this point.

You were correctly bullish . You were planning on buying every dip when the market did exactly what you expected it to do. Then something happened that made you confused and you lost track of the events. Probably some thought on fundamentals.
And now you're failing to recognize the move that is taking place and you are starting to fight the trend.

Please don't insult me by associating me with "Funnymentals" :D . I hate fundmental stuff. I have made it clear many times that i don't beleive fundamentals drive the market. It's just greed and fear. I am not confused and don't make any assumptions about my behavioural patterns...Geez ! You are now moving from sentiment to psychology :lol:

Edited by NAV, 31 August 2007 - 11:57 AM.

#8 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

oqm,

You had asked me the same question when i shorted ES at 1505 after which it collapsed 140 points.

Remember i am a swing trader. I short when things look the best, based on momentum confirmation. I buy when things are the worst, based on momo confirmation again.

Please don't insult me by associating me with "Funnymentals" :D . I hate fundmental stuff. I have made it clear many times that i don't beleive fundamentals drive the market. It's just greed and fear. I am not confused and don't make any assumptions about my behavioural patterns...Geez ! You are now moving from sentiment to psychology :lol:

ogm, asks a great question of which we have all fallen victim...yours included! I think he is asking if you couldnt be making more by buying the dips with less risk rather than shorting strength when its obvious the last two weeks have been more lucrative to be a bull!

Edited by iron cross, 31 August 2007 - 12:04 PM.

#9 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

oqm,

ogm, asks a great question of which we have all fallen victim...yours included! I think he is asking if you couldnt be making more by buying the dips with less risk rather than shorting strength when its obvious the last two weeks have been more lucrative to be a bull!

Ironcross,

Hindsight is a wonderful thing . When ES dropped 50 points in 2 days 8/27-8/28, did the bulls make the money or the bears ? How many bulls came and admitted that they got slaughtered those two days ? - Zero. Now they all come and give lessons on how to ride the trend. If someone tells me that they took a drawdown of 50 SPX points and are riding the trend and still underwater, i can imagine what their sharp ratio would look like at the end of the year and what kind of traders they are.

When the market was trending beautifully the last one year and i was frothing bullish all the way up, some called me perma-bull for playing mostly the long side. Now the 34 EMA on the daily ES is flat and i get lectures about how to ride the trend. What trend ? Until today, price was below the 34 EMA and the 34 EMA itself was flat as a pancake. That's a trendless market. That kind of configuration is an equal opportunity employer for both bulls and bears.

And someone please teach me how to ride this trendless market. To trade a trend, first you need the rising EMAs and need a pullback to those EMAs to keep buying. This market selloffs late day and turns the hourly trend down and gaps up 15 points next day and you tell me how i would be a trend trader and buy a declining hourly EMA. Or Vice versa. The market closes with a rising hourly EMA and gaps-down the next day. Those that are making money in this market are those who are actually fading the trend or countertrend folks. Tell me how seomeone could call themselves a trendtrader and bought 8/28 close, when everthing from 5-min to daily trend were down. Or maybe you guys need to redfine trend and trend trading.

Edited by NAV, 31 August 2007 - 12:36 PM.

#10 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

Unbelievable...one of the best traders here and all of sudden he doesn't know what he's doing.....give me a break... ...best to mind your own trades....Nav is a big boy...he knows what he's doing...