Great Fall of China..?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DraggdOut

DraggdOut

• Traders-Talk User
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

For a healthy dose of reality highly reminiscent of the Japanese stock bubble in the late 80s, almost 50% of 1H2007 earnings growth of Shanghai and Shenzen-listed companies came from their stock market investments, and, although I'm sure it's a harbringer of an inevitable time to come, the fact that three of the world's six largest firms by market cap are now Chinese seems a little too fast for its own good for my taste. China has certainly chewed up and spit out many a short before, but I'm looking long and hard at bearish option plays on US-listed Chinese companies. This will end sloppily. I have plenty of long exposure to US & South American equities so I'm not terribly worried if this doesn't go my way ST...

#2 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

I am sure people can debate ad nauseum when this inevitable demise will occur and you may be right, but I will tell you one thing; 'great fall of china' is hilarious :) If you just came up with that, nice job ;)
“be right and sit tight”

#3 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

china's contribution to global gdp this year will be bigger than that of the US china is number one now and getting bigger and bigger

#4 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

china's contribution to global gdp this year will be bigger than that of the US

china is number one now and getting bigger and bigger

And where do you get your stats from? :lol:

#5 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image

RED SUN RISING

#6 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

1 United States 13,244,550 2 Japan 4,367,459 3 Germany 2,897,032 4 People's Republic of China 2,630,113 2 wikipedia china grwoth rate 10 per cent us growth rate 2.5 per cent hence china's contribution will be bigger china will be seeing grwoth rate of 10 per cent for many years simply a matter of time before they are number one if you want a safe investment just buy the chinese currency Yuan - of course only if you have time to wait 20 years

#7 mike123

mike123

• Traders-Talk User
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

China is expected to become #1 economy in the world by 2027. Considering the real estate problems here, the rise of yen and down of Dollar. It won't supprise me if China become #1 by 2017.

#8 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

maybe we all have to get used to looking at the Chinese pay rolls data, retail sales etc. for the direction of the market currently the whole world is looking at US data, but habits will change as mike indicates ;-

#9 DraggdOut

DraggdOut

• Traders-Talk User
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

China is expected to become #1 economy in the world by 2027. Considering the real estate problems here, the rise of yen and down of Dollar. It won't supprise me if China become #1 by 2017.

Before we start getting all hunky dory and fuzzy-feeling inside let's not forget that en route to their global supremacy China has amassed some of the worst pollution on the planet, despoiled most of their natural resources and the vast majority of their arable land, and created big problems in terms of supplying their population with things like health care and clean water. Yes the demographic & sovereign wealth trends are overwhelmingly positive but most Western investors are completely oblivious as to what conditions in China in the vast majority of the country actually are like.

#10 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

Before we start getting all hunky dory and fuzzy-feeling inside let's not forget that en route to their global supremacy China has amassed some of the worst pollution on the planet, despoiled most of their natural resources and the vast majority of their arable land, and created big problems in terms of supplying their population with things like health care and clean water. Yes the demographic & sovereign wealth trends are overwhelmingly positive but most Western investors are completely oblivious as to what conditions in China in the vast majority of the country actually are like.

Chinese military hacked into Pentagon
http://www.ft.com/cm...00779fd2ac.html

That plays well with their shooting down of a weather satellite in January of this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2...sile/index.html
Peace
johngeorge