• 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

stop = 1466 cash

#2 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

Since your stops are so close, why are you buying OEX calls as opposed to ES ? I personally hate the bid/ask spreads on OEX calls. And the fact that they screw us big time, when one tries to get out in hurry, at which point you will be forced to hit the bid. I personally use options, when i take open ended risk. With well defined stops, i like futures. Just trying to understand.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#3 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

Options on ES, NQ and ER2 are getting very liquid. Much better than OEX, SPX, etc... Try those. I started trading them a few months ago and I am very happy. They are good for directional bets. I still use my floor guys for spreads in SPX. Denleo

#4 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Options on ES, NQ and ER2 are getting very liquid. Much better than OEX, SPX, etc... Try those. I started trading them a few months ago and I am very happy. They are good for directional bets. I still use my floor guys for spreads in SPX.

Denleo

I have been using options on ES for more than 2 years now. They are pretty good.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#5 DraggdOut

DraggdOut

• Traders-Talk User
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

the principal reason I am trading options as opposed to futures is, well, :sweatingbullets: it's rather difficult to trade futures from my office while at work (I would have to physically call my broker), whereas I can buy and sell options freely with a few clicks VST and I'm still getting good leverage. You're right in a sense my exposure is much more open end, particularly because I can't always diligently watch the market, but this is not a position I'm going to sit on for more than an hour or two. I'm running from the 8/16 TL and if I see it violated in a way that doesn't sit well with me I will hit the eject buttom.

#6 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

why not set up a TS account that will allow you to trade futures with the very same clicks? or IB account?
“be right and sit tight”

#7 DraggdOut

DraggdOut

• Traders-Talk User
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

why not set up a TS account that will allow you to trade futures with the very same clicks? or IB account?

Because there are controls in place (compliance, IT) that prohibit my doing such :)

Options on ES, NQ and ER2 are getting very liquid. Much better than OEX, SPX, etc... Try those. I started trading them a few months ago and I am very happy. They are good for directional bets. I still use my floor guys for spreads in SPX.

Denleo

I have actually never looked at these. I really should. Thanks.

Are these options on the e-mini or big contract? I assume the latter is the more liquid?

Edited by DraggdOut, 05 September 2007 - 12:26 PM.

#8 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

Because there are controls in place (compliance, IT) that prohibit my doing such :)

Denleo

I have actually never looked at these. I really should. Thanks.

Are these options on the e-mini or big contract? I assume the latter is the more liquid?

E-minis. I have been happy with them.

Denleo