ipod sell on the news

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:41 PM

Wow, that ipod "sell on the news" was contagious. Looks like it is done selling for now. Check AAPL.

#2 phineas_gage

phineas_gage

• Traders-Talk User
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:29 PM

Looks like its going to get the "double top", "outside day", "key reversal" trifecta.

#3 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

I think it was more a sell on the lawsuit against AAPL from the European union-of course that only saw the tape once-while the ipod spin showed about a million times. Lots of space underneath this one, imho.

#4 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

> Looks like its going to get the "double top", "outside day", "key reversal" trifecta. Right on! > I think it was more a sell on the lawsuit against AAPL from the European union-of course that only saw the tape once-while the ipod spin showed about a million times. Lots of space underneath this one, imho. ...and CNBC said it was because they lowered the price on the iphone :huh:

Edited by risktaker, 05 September 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#5 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

...and CNBC said it was because they lowered the price on the iphone :huh:

I think its related to that. There's been rumors going around that iPhone has had huge returns, and they're not meeting sales estimates vs. manufactured phones.

Hence Steve Jobs has iPhone coming out the @ss right now. First clue were news that he was giving them away free to his employees.

No one lowers the price of a HOT demand item by 30% before x-mas season unless he's trying to unload his inventory. My guess is that its either not selling as much as they projected or they have a new design ready to replace the old one.. perhaps a combo of the two might be in order.

Just wait for Gphone news. That may really sock iPhone.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#6 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

I am not surprise if the rumors about iPhone returns are true. The AT&T data network is very slow and expensive. Lowering iPhone prices may offset that a little psychologically.

Apple announced that they are giving all employees iPhones before the launch date. The employees did not get their iPhones until several weeks after the launch. Therefore, that incident does not give an indication of iPhone demand. It is probably a way to advertise the iPhone, and a small cost to make employees happy.

Personally, I think the iPhone is a revolutionary masterpiece. The ringtones are musical rather than jarring like other cell phones. The high resolution display is a nice departure from normal cell phone displays. The full web-browsing feature, Youtube and iTunes integration are brilliant. Furthermore, the user-interface, animations and transitions are very well-designed. On the downside, it is hard to type into, and the web-browsing feature is not useful for somebody with a poor vision. Now that the iPod Touch has a lot of these features, it makes sense for them to lower prices for the iPhone.

I like Google, but I will be very surprised if they do come out with something nicer than the iPhone in the near future since I have not seen any Google consumer devices before.

Having said that, none of this probably have much say in regards to what AAPL stock is going to do in the near future.

p.s.: I also think that the Macbook Pro is a notch above other laptops.

#7 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:59 PM

Giving every employee a phone when people were waiting in a line outside to buy one tells me they made too many phones. If it was going to be so hot, you don't need your employees to advertise it, especially when they are centrally located in one city. As for the iPhone capability, my HTC TyTN blew away the iPhone an entire year before the iPhone was even released. Many who don't know anything about whats out there assume iPhone is revolutionary. The only revolutionary thing about the iPhone is multi-touch, which is now being replicated on a software level on my phone. Which tells you its not even that revolutionary. I can list like 50 technical reasons why the iPhone sucks compared to my HTC TyTN, and I did post a list some time ago when the iPhone came out. You can easily read enough reviews of gadget sites to see similar lists. Great start, but they're in a realm they don't know too much about. In the end, I suspect if there was some air let out of this stock, we will see prices close to this level again.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#8 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:04 AM

> Giving every employee a phone when people were waiting in a line outside to buy one tells me they made too many phones. If it was going to be so hot, you don't need your employees to advertise it, especially when they are centrally located in one city.

I, for one, thought the iPhone was the biggest hype since Wonderbread before I played with one.

Until Apple announce their iPhone sales numbers, whether the iPhone is a flop or not is anybody's guess. Adding to that, iPhone sales may trail off after the initial spike.

Perhaps I should say "different" instead of "revolutionary". Some people like their phone to double as a computer (HTC TyTN), some as a web browser/mp3 player (iPhone), some use it for email (Blackberry) and some ask "why can't I get a cellphone without a camera?" Gotta admit that Apple designs give rise to a lot of copycat products and make some less prevalent cellphone features (wifi access, multi-touch...) ubiquitous.

Edited by risktaker, 06 September 2007 - 06:05 AM.