Buying stocks with both hands.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:51 AM

Bought SMCI, SIAL, FTO, ANGO, UEIC, YTEC, TCM, SDTH this morning already....

#2 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

we too! oive just been looking at some charts and we may be at some major shupport!
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#3 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:09 AM

Oqm,

You recently mentioned you had 100+ stocks in your portfolio and you are adding more. Do you get a chance to look at the charts of all these stocks even on a EOD basis ? Are these trading positions or LT investments ?

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#4 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

Oqm,

You recently mentioned you had 100+ stocks in your portfolio and you are adding more. Do you get a chance to look at the charts of all these stocks even on a EOD basis ? Are these trading positions or LT investments ?

IT positions, several weeks/month hold. I only look at a few charts that I'm heavily weighted in like GIGM or AOB , don't even look at the rest, unless alerts trigger. I have some "wishful thinking" exits set up on quite a few, and stops.

Otherwise, its all noise. I'll go crazy looking at everything intraday.

#5 phineas_gage

phineas_gage

• Traders-Talk User
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

Not to be a jerk, but everything I'm seeing is saying head for the hills. I'm short, so take with salt, but the names I've been working are GT, HDI, WM, TIF, COH, AAPL, MA, and STT. They seem to have high beta on big negative tick readings and also have thematic fundamentals relating to a widespread commercial and consumer deleveraging. Hopefully we can both make money regardless of what the tape may bring.

#6 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

Oqm,

IT positions, several weeks/month hold. I only look at a few charts that I'm heavily weighted in like GIGM or AOB , don't even look at the rest, unless alerts trigger. I have some "wishful thinking" exits set up on quite a few, and stops.

Not to be a jerk, but everything I'm seeing is saying head for the hills.

I'm short, so take with salt, but the names I've been working are GT, HDI, WM, TIF, COH, AAPL, MA, and STT. They seem to have high beta on big negative tick readings and also have thematic fundamentals relating to a widespread commercial and consumer deleveraging. Hopefully we can both make money regardless of what the tape may bring.

Just curious, why those particular stocks ? That list is pretty much what everyone wants to buy on dip, except for GT, HDI, WM.

TIF sales doing great, COH too. AAPL I can understand, kinda.
but MA and STT are some of the strongest financial stocks.

STT is like an ETF tollbooth, collecting money from fund flows.

#7 zman

zman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

Oqm,

I would not buy stocks this week period...but as you say you more LT which is fine...but this week we will see the es trading at 1430/1415 probably tomorrow..
Education is the best defense against the media.

#8 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:26 AM

As you know, I have been leaning to the bull side recently, but I have to think that the market can't "release" itself from these interest rate handcuffs till the fed meeting announcement/broker earnings next week. People are waiting for the magic "all clear" if there is such a thing from the magical wand of helicopter Ben.

#9 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

Just another gap and crap type of day.....Buying with both hands?.....You must have deep pockets.....Not picking on you.....If you turn bearish.....That will be da bottom.....

Edited by traderpaul, 10 September 2007 - 09:31 AM.

"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#10 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

Just another gap and crap type of day.....Buying with both hands?.....You must have deep pockets.....Not picking on you.....If you turn bearish.....That will be da bottom.....

Or you can take a look at the stuff I'm buying, and maybe make some money :)

YTEC will be a very large position for example. Half of the market cap in cash, no debt, huge growth.

P.S.. Put/Call is flying again this morning. Everyone is betting on a crash here. $WPCVE at 1.2

Edited by ogm, 10 September 2007 - 09:43 AM.