Informal Trucking indicator

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gorydog

gorydog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

Spoke with a man who sells space on trucks naitionwide. Major US companies that need to ship by truck buy space on fleets he represents. In 25 years he has never seen it so slow. He said forget about dow 14000, things are real bad. FYI GD

#2 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:09 AM

Spoke with a man who sells space on trucks naitionwide. Major US companies that need to ship by truck buy space on fleets he represents. In 25 years he has never seen it so slow. He said forget about dow 14000, things are real bad. FYI

GD

I do not think he knows what he is talking about. Listen to NAV or Mark. Market is going to tell us what is going to happen, not some trucking manager without business acumen.

Also keep an eye on liquidity.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#3 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:19 AM

:) I find that very interesting. Which truck group does he deal with. Have many friends in the trucking industary and they are saying something different. TODAYS UPDATE: [attachment=6009:attachment] btw: XPRSA & CVTI are located where I live

Edited by mss, 02 October 2007 - 10:22 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#4 nicolasillo

nicolasillo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

mms what are we supposed to understand from the table you provided? All I can see is that they are not performing well and in the 10 best perfroming stocks you have also a negative one. I don t know if you were meant to agree that the trucking industry is not doing well or not.

#5 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

Spoke with a man who sells space on trucks naitionwide. Major US companies that need to ship by truck buy space on fleets he represents. In 25 years he has never seen it so slow. He said forget about dow 14000, things are real bad. FYI

GD

I do not think he knows what he is talking about. Listen to NAV or Mark. Market is going to tell us what is going to happen, not some trucking manager without business acumen.

Also keep an eye on liquidity.

Or listen to the barber at the top of the bull market as to why you should be buying stocks cuz his business is doing great.

Or listen to our local economic expert Greenie. He knows it all. He called the civil war in california in 2007 properly and the QQQQ 14 target preciently or even the SRS 600 target accurately or AAPL under 10 bucks. Have you updated any of your calls? Don't you have any shame ?

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#6 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

Or listen to the barber at the top of the bull market as to why you should be buying stocks cuz his business is doing great.

Or listen to our local economic expert Greenie. He knows it all. He called the civil war in california in 2007 properly and the QQQQ 14 target preciently or even the SRS 600 target accurately or AAPL under 10 bucks. Have you updated any of your calls? Don't you have any shame ?

Got SRS at 76. Will dump it on you at 620 sometime in 2008-09, at which time you will be talking about lack of liquidity. We do not penny-trade, and have 15 forecasts at different hours of the day. There are better things to do.

BTW, I never predicted civil war in California in 2007. Sometime around 2012-2014 - still on schedule, if housing picture is of any guidance.

But I was wrong about my QQQQ target of 14. It is now updated to 12.5.

#7 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

mms what are we supposed to understand from the table you provided?
All I can see is that they are not performing well and in the 10 best perfroming stocks you have also a negative one. I don t know if you were meant to agree that the trucking industry is not doing well or not.

There are two points, one is the size of the trucking company, and two where and what are they hauling.
Both points were left off the post.
From the chart, the suggestion is some are doing well and some are not. Has no bearing on the general health of the economy, unless they ALL are doing bad or good.
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#8 gorydog

gorydog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

There are two points, one is the size of the trucking company, and two where and what are they hauling.
Both points were left off the post.
From the chart, the suggestion is some are doing well and some are not. Has no bearing on the general health of the economy, unless they ALL are doing bad or good.
mss

I provided an anecdote, nothing more. Just sharing what I heard. I can't legally disclose the company, but it is big and national. The market is being sucked up to test the highs, so I am long right now. I think the payroll report and reaction will tell the tale, but I plan to lighten up or hold a few puts going into friday.

GD

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,037 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Got SRS at 76. Will dump it on you at 620 sometime in 2008-09, at which time you will be talking about lack of liquidity. We do not penny-trade, and have 15 forecasts at different hours of the day. There are better things to do.

Evidently one of them is riding through some pretty big counter moves. 39 points is a huge give-back. That was 50% of your initial investment. What's wrong with you? Almost anytyhing on earth is better than that.

Do you think making dramatically lower targets on a position that's going opposite to the (outlandish) prediction is a sound strategy?

Let me tell you and everyone else, it's NOT. The market doesn't care that you're angry and subborn or smart or well studied. It loves to chew up and swallow those folks, in fact.

There's zero benefit to that sort of thinking. In fact, it's costly. I leads one to make poor risk reward judgements and to allow errors to go uncorrected. There's plenty of time to position for a big down move. In order to get it, however, the market needs to stop going up. Right now, it can't even manage much of a pullback.

Mark
P.S. We're going to get a pullback, and probably soon, but right now, it's not much to work with, is it?

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#10 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Do you think making dramatically lower targets on a position that's going opposite to the (outlandish) prediction is a sound strategy?

Let me tell you and everyone else, it's NOT. The market doesn't care that you're angry and subborn or smart or well studied. It loves to chew up and swallow those folks, in fact.

I have no QQQQ position - so save your lecture for somebody else. Also, I am not trying to make outlandish prediction - just what I see from my model. Regarding SRS, all I can tell you is I have a plan and time-frame, and I am just executing it accordingly. I try to hedge countermoves with SSO (SPX double long), options or individual stocks. So, the pullback to the portfolio may not be as great as what you wrote.