• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

The market is on the brink of a potentially very dangerous and vulnerable time period. The time span between October 3rd- November 8th of the 7 year within the decennial pattern has seen some of the most precipitous market declines of the past 110 years. As this newsletter is being written, the market has just entered the beginning of that time span. There are, of course, no mandates that the market must decline over the next 4-5 weeks. The plain and simple fact, however, is that within all the years ending in the digit 7 since 1897, only one year, 1947, has escaped the plague of a precipitous October decline. It could happen again but history argues against it.

Before we show you a picture of previous October- November declines within the 7 year, we thought it would be appropriate to show you another cyclical reason why the market might be vulnerable from this point on. The two charts on the front page of today's newsletter (see link below) depict a 54 month cycle or turning point pattern. We are showing that cycle with two different charts because it has manifested itself in a slightly different way with a high cap index such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average than it has with a secondary stock index such as the Russell 2000. The charts are monthly bar charts and the months of potential resolution displayed on the charts are October 1989, April 1994, October 1998, April 2003, and October 2007.

It should be easy to agree that three of the most important market turning points of the past 15 years were the April 1994 bottom, the October 1998 bottom , and the March- April 2003 basing formation and tests of the October 2002 bottom. Those important turning points are separated by almost exactly 54 months. 54 months would be represented by 1643-1644 calendar days but let's simply use a 54 month time span and count forward from the April 1, 1994 bottom. The next resolution would be scheduled for early October 1998.

October 1st, 1998 marked the exact closing low before the final thrust upward that carried the market upward into its January-March 2000 major tops. The next 54 month span was due to resolve in early April 2003. The actual test of the 2002 lows occurred in March 2003 but after the initial sharp rally, there was a final significant pullback into April 1st, 2003 before the market took off in earnest to the upside. Of course, moving forward another 54 months takes us to early October 2007.

In case you have not been paying attention, the Dow Jones Industrial Average moved to a new all-time high on both a closing and intraday basis three days ago on October 1st, 2007. The 54 month time span strongly suggests we can be looking for an important turn in this exact time zone of early October 2007. Without attempting to pinpoint an exact resolution, it would seem logical from the prior resolutions that any turning point would be resolved by October 10th at the latest.

Stock Market Cycles Website

#2 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

how can i print this? I cant seem to do it on adobe. Thanks.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#3 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

I first encountered Eliades work back in the early 1980's when he had quite a hot streak. I think he had trouble adjusting to the 90's mania, but recently he's been back on target. He is a pure cycles analyst: no e-wave, no support/resitance stuff, just cycles. Airedale's work reminds me of the Eliades type of analysis. They're different, but it's that type of thing. Thanks for posting this.

#4 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

how can i print this? I cant seem to do it on adobe. Thanks.

Unfortunately, only subscribers can print the article. Restrictions and parts reserved for subs and such.

JNavin- thank Peter for writing it, not me. :blush: I just werk here

#5 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

In spite of the cyclical history, my bet is that NONE OF THIS OCCURS... "money-pump" trumps EVERYTHING... Unless the money pump springs a leak, there will be no such decline. da_chief is correct about "Dow to da moon". Unfortunately, it's all for the wrong reasons and very, very bad news.

Edited by HoseB, 08 October 2007 - 10:24 AM.

40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#6 ...

• Traders-Talk User
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

110 years

Total horsepuckey.

A sample of 11 years which end in "7" means squat. The statistical significance approaches zero.

The phrase "fooled by randomness" comes readily to mind.

But, hey, a lot of peddlers of seasonal tendency garbage like to say "it worked 8 out of the last 10 years." Just before the uninformed buyer of the "advice" loses his butt following bogus statistical tendencies.

#7 Pabst

Pabst

• Traders-Talk User
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

110 years

Total horsepuckey.

A sample of 11 years which end in "7" means squat. The statistical significance approaches zero.

But, hey, a lot of peddlers of seasonal tendency garbage like to say "it worked 8 out of the last 10 years." Just before the uninformed buyer of the "advice" loses his butt following bogus statistical tendencies.

I agree that the "7" phenomena is dubious science. However two points. Oct can be treacherous not by random but because it's a major reporting month. Second, why is years ending in 7 any more of a hoax than Christmas rally? Yet there's no denying that stocks have done better Q4 vs. Q3 18 of the past 21 years. What you and I percieve as random may very well be grounded in some perverse reality.....
Free market's for free men!

#8 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

The market is on the brink of a potentially very dangerous and vulnerable time period. The time span between October 3rd- November 8th of the 7 year within the decennial pattern has seen some of the most precipitous market declines of the past 110 years. As this newsletter is being written, the market has just entered the beginning of that time span. There are, of course, no mandates that the market must decline over the next 4-5 weeks. The plain and simple fact, however, is that within all the years ending in the digit 7 since 1897, only one year, 1947, has escaped the plague of a precipitous October decline. It could happen again but history argues against it.

Before we show you a picture of previous October- November declines within the 7 year, we thought it would be appropriate to show you another cyclical reason why the market might be vulnerable from this point on. The two charts on the front page of today's newsletter (see link below) depict a 54 month cycle or turning point pattern. We are showing that cycle with two different charts because it has manifested itself in a slightly different way with a high cap index such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average than it has with a secondary stock index such as the Russell 2000. The charts are monthly bar charts and the months of potential resolution displayed on the charts are October 1989, April 1994, October 1998, April 2003, and October 2007.

It should be easy to agree that three of the most important market turning points of the past 15 years were the April 1994 bottom, the October 1998 bottom , and the March- April 2003 basing formation and tests of the October 2002 bottom. Those important turning points are separated by almost exactly 54 months. 54 months would be represented by 1643-1644 calendar days but let's simply use a 54 month time span and count forward from the April 1, 1994 bottom. The next resolution would be scheduled for early October 1998.

October 1st, 1998 marked the exact closing low before the final thrust upward that carried the market upward into its January-March 2000 major tops. The next 54 month span was due to resolve in early April 2003. The actual test of the 2002 lows occurred in March 2003 but after the initial sharp rally, there was a final significant pullback into April 1st, 2003 before the market took off in earnest to the upside. Of course, moving forward another 54 months takes us to early October 2007.

In case you have not been paying attention, the Dow Jones Industrial Average moved to a new all-time high on both a closing and intraday basis three days ago on October 1st, 2007. The 54 month time span strongly suggests we can be looking for an important turn in this exact time zone of early October 2007. Without attempting to pinpoint an exact resolution, it would seem logical from the prior resolutions that any turning point would be resolved by October 10th at the latest.

Stock Market Cycles Website

Hi TTHQ, thanks for the informative and relevant article. :)

Cheers, :)

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#9 raleigh

raleigh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

Peter Eliades announced all this on CNBC awhile back (one or two months ago?) So what everyone now knows is not worth much

#10 kyklos

kyklos

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

110 years

Total horsepuckey.

My father always said, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" You,sir, seem to be afflicted with "a little" knowledge." And if you're going to use sophisticated expressions like "horsepuckey," at least learn how to spell them.
Peter