FOMC Meeting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

This is well worth a read--- "Tumultuous Tuesday - WARNING, NASTY LANGUAGE." Karl Denninger is saying what Lee Adler said several weeks ago about potential for banking panic due to insolvency. Karl has chiefly focused on this paragraph taken from Sept 18, minutes of the FOMC meeting . One should note that following the release of FOMC minutes while the stock market roared to all time highs, gold stocks moved up right along. But just in case The FED came prepared with $12.5 billion liquidity injection. And here is why.

Although financial markets were expected to stabilize over time, participants judged that credit markets were likely to restrain economic growth in the period ahead. Given existing commitments to customers and the increased resistance of investors to purchasing some securitized products, banks might need to take a large volume of assets onto their balance sheets over coming weeks, including leveraged loans, asset-backed commercial paper, and some types of mortgages. Banks' concerns about the implications of rapid growth in their balance sheets for their capital ratios and for their liquidity, as well as the recent deterioration in various term funding markets, might well lead banks to tighten the availability of credit to households and firms.

Lee Adler has been beating the drum that October 15 could well be the D-Day for financial institutions to come clean and fess up about worthless ABCPs that they are holding. Karl lasers in on that point and accuses the FED of complicity in abrogation of regulatory banking framework by knowingly looking the other way while banks created SIVs and various Conduits for the explicit purpose of evading regulatory requirements."

What that means is that banks are holding tons of CDOs, ABCP, leveraged loans and MBS in off-balance accounts which are not subject to any banking capital reserve requirements. Aaron Krowes also noted it in his critique "Is The Fed Flushing Out The “Excess Credit” Demons?" :"The coup de grace, however, is found in other Fed machinations. My nitpick and refrain for well over the past year has been “reserve requirements matter (big time)”. As most analysts acknowledge, but forget all too easily, reserve requirements (not interest rates) are the main lever available to the Fed for controlling the amount of credit in the financial system. The reserve ratio and other rules bearing on the quantity of reserves effectively control the “money multiplier” in a fractional reserve banking system such as ours. Lower reserve requirements allow more credit to be created — of all sorts. Reserves are the floodgates of the fiat money/credit system."

So what happens when banks will need to take back these off-balance sheet assets onto their balance sheets? Many don't have sufficient capital ratios as the FED acknowledges even without the special reductions in reserve requirements. Karl Denninger advices to carefully check out your bank's finances or to just take the money out. He said he is putting his into a credit union.

Edited by linrom1, 09 October 2007 - 10:10 PM.

#2 Mtrader

Mtrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

Panic was what they are saying. So what is so good about that. But the market can't be wrong. I ain't going to argue with the freight train. BUY BUY BUY.
You are on your own. This is for demonstration only.
JV

#3 bullshort

bullshort

• Traders-Talk User
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

Lin,

Thanks for the post. I wish I knew more about what goes on behind the curtains. John Crudele seems to think there are some really nefarious strings being pulled (what else is new?). Take a look at his comments today:

http://www.nypost.co...ith_about_t.htm

#4 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:00 AM

I am sure the Fed will assume any debt that can not be carried by the reserve requirements, if they lower the reserve requirements, I think the market would probably explode to the upside due to the huge inflationary implications. How long can they do this if the private buyers do not show up anytime soon? Until the currency crashes low enough that the Fed can not help mitigate the crisis any more into the future... Bullshort, thanks for the interesting article...