Photo

I am creating artificial life, declares US gene pioneer...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone, according to an article by Ed Pilkington from www.guardian.co.uk entitled, "I am creating artificial life, declares US gene pioneer":

Craig Venter, the controversial DNA researcher involved in the race to decipher the human genetic code, has built a synthetic chromosome out of laboratory chemicals and is poised to announce the creation of the first new artificial life form on Earth.

The announcement, which is expected within weeks and could come as early as Monday at the annual meeting of his scientific institute in San Diego, California, will herald a giant leap forward in the development of designer genomes. It is certain to provoke heated debate about the ethics of creating new species and could unlock the door to new energy sources and techniques to combat global warming.

Mr Venter told the Guardian he thought this landmark would be "a very important philosophical step in the history of our species. We are going from reading our genetic code to the ability to write it. That gives us the hypothetical ability to do things never contemplated before".

IMVHO, the breakthroughs diescribed in the above article will have a profound on mankind's future both for the good by solving problems that include curing diseases and tackling worldwide hunger and pollution problems as well as for the bad if used for destructive purposes, i.e., biological warefare.

Cheers, :)

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

IMVHO, the breakthroughs diescribed in the above article will have a profound on mankind's future both for the good by solving problems that include curing diseases and tackling worldwide hunger and pollution problems as well as for the bad if used for destructive purposes, i.e., biological warefare.

Bob-C

Hi Bob-C!

That may be, but I like the old fashioned method of creating life
much more enjoyable :lol:
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

Bob-C

Hi Bob-C!

That may be, but I like the old fashioned method of creating life
much more enjoyable :lol:

HI pdx5, good to hear from you. :) Yes, I agree with you, thanks for your comments. :)

Have a great weekend. :)

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.