18 replies to this topic

#1 DonBart

DonBart

• Traders-Talk User
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

from BusinessWeek:

"Lessons from the '87 Crash

Enjoying the Dow's record run? Don't get too comfy. The market's Black Monday breakdown is a reminder of how quickly investor sentiment can turn
by Ben Steverman

As major stock indexes hit all-time highs, it's worth looking back 20 years to a far gloomier time, when investors were cruelly and suddenly reminded that the value of their investments can depend on something as unpredictable as a mood swing.

Every once in a while, fear, snowballing into panic, sweeps financial markets—the stock market crash of October, 1987, now celebrating its 20th birthday, is a prime example.

In the five trading sessions from Oct. 13 to Oct. 19, 1987, the Dow Jones industrial average lost a third of its value and about $1 trillion of U.S. stock market value was wiped out. The losses culminated in a panic-stricken 22.6% decline in the Dow on Black Monday, Oct. 19..."

Are you prepared? :bear: :bear: :bear:

http://www.businessw...1011_494930.htm

#2 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

from BusinessWeek:

Enjoying the Dow's record run? Don't get too comfy. The market's Black Monday breakdown is a reminder of how quickly investor sentiment can turn
by Ben Steverman

As major stock indexes hit all-time highs, it's worth looking back 20 years to a far gloomier time, when investors were cruelly and suddenly reminded that the value of their investments can depend on something as unpredictable as a mood swing.

Every once in a while, fear, snowballing into panic, sweeps financial marketsâ€"the stock market crash of October, 1987, now celebrating its 20th birthday, is a prime example.

In the five trading sessions from Oct. 13 to Oct. 19, 1987, the Dow Jones industrial average lost a third of its value and about $1 trillion of U.S. stock market value was wiped out. The losses culminated in a panic-stricken 22.6% decline in the Dow on Black Monday, Oct. 19..."

Highly doubt it. The PPT came AFTER the '87, crashette.

Some day, all the jawboning and money-pumpin' of the PPT won't be effective...when the world has given up on the $USD. Until then, the PPT will backstop every decline before really negative sentiment sets in.
40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#3 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

from BusinessWeek:

by Ben Steverman

Every once in a while, fear, snowballing into panic, sweeps financial marketsâ€"the stock market crash of October, 1987, now celebrating its 20th birthday, is a prime example.

Thanks for the article DonBart. :)

Cheers, :)

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#4 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

The current market dynamics are not even close to being the same as they were 20 years ago, no less, in 1929. Lessons? The same thing bothering everyone back then bothers us now. Doesn't mean a thing. Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#5 JAP

JAP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

from BusinessWeek:

by Ben Steverman

Highly doubt it. The PPT came AFTER the '87, crashette.

Some day, all the jawboning and money-pumpin' of the PPT won't be effective...when the world has given up on the $USD. Until then, the PPT will backstop every decline before really negative sentiment sets in.

Exactly, especially with Paulson in there. Bush didn't make the former CEO of GS the FED secretary for nothing. All his boys on Wall Street are protected from a 1929/1987 type crash. If a big drop ever did happen, they would simply suspend trading for a few days until it blew over.

#6 Mtrader

Mtrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

Old news?? That is good news. It won't happen in October but may be November.
You are on your own. This is for demonstration only.
JV

#7 beardown

beardown

• Traders-Talk User
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

times are different,it could never happen again,no way=thats all I hear! I talk to guys at the club all they talk about is buying dips and how much money they are making in and out of some of these mo mo stocks.All they say is the fed will save them if it goes down-easily trained.All i say is we ll see,thats all i can say when we keep making highs :P

#8 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

The current market dynamics are not even close to being the same as they were 20 years ago, no less, in 1929.
Fib

I agree. The conditions are greatly different from 87. Interest rates are low and the market P/E is in a good area. This was not the case in 87.

Rich

#9 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

The current market dynamics are not even close to being the same as they were 20 years ago, no less, in 1929.
Fib

I agree. The conditions are greatly different from 87. Interest rates are low and the market P/E is in a good area. This was not the case in 87.

Rich

Rich: I would say valuations would prevent a large decline or crash. However, I do consider it likely for at 10% - 15% correction in the market at this juncture. I do not speculate on targets, but due to the high OEX Put/Call Ratios and low CBOE and Equity Put/Call ratios we are seeing elude to more than a small dip somewhere on the horizon.

Barry

#10 Mtrader

Mtrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:23 PM

we already have 10-15 % correction. Where have you been?
You are on your own. This is for demonstration only.
JV