• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

Report ranks jobs by rates of depression
"People who tend to the elderly, change diapers and serve up food and drinks have the highest rates of depression among U.S. workers.
The lowest rate of depression, 4.3 percent, occurred in the job category that covers engineers, architects and surveyors."

But I ask: Does the job cause the depression in every case or are there other factors such as education, pay, and is there a differtent personality trait inherent in those who become engineers, architects and surveyors?

I need some grant money to study that. ;)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 14 October 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#2 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

Report ranks jobs by rates of depression
"People who tend to the elderly, change diapers and serve up food and drinks have the highest rates of depression among U.S. workers.
The lowest rate of depression, 4.3 percent, occurred in the job category that covers engineers, architects and surveyors."

But I ask: Does the job cause the depression in every case or are there other factors such as education, pay, and is there a differtent personality trait inherent in those who become engineers, architects and surveyors?

I need some grant money to study that. ;)

:)
You can get grant money if you have the following title: "How Does Global Warming Effect Depression"

But on a very serious note depression is becoming a major problem. The "baby boomers" are just starting into the "what is my life all about" stage.
There are many causes for depression and most of it is hard to identify early until it becomes really tough to correct.
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

I find this part of the study very interesting:

Just working full-time would appear to be beneficial in preventing depression. The overall rate of depression for full-time workers, 7 percent, compares with the 12.7 percent rate registered by those who are unemployed.

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:01 AM

Caregivers (those who tend to the elderly, change diapers, serve food etc ) tend to be conditioned into this role at a young age. HOW? They have parents who are dysfunctional and who use their children to meet their own needs. Parents are suppose to tend to their children, not the other way around. If you did a survey of nurses, you'd find that many have had alcoholic parents. It's difficult to lose one's childhood to this kind of unreasonable burden (having to grow up too fast, and never being nurtured the way a child should be). I think ONE of the reasons (there are many) depression occurs is when we remain STUCK in that role of caregiver, instead of breaking free and discovering our own creative potential ... realizing that we have the right to be happy ... and living our own lives ... instead of caring for eveyone else and getting tied up in their misery. Unfortunately, incompetent parenting (inability to love your children) is all too common. And there are also nutritional issues that contribute to depression ... no question. Best to all, C.C. :P

Edited by calmcookie, 15 October 2007 - 07:06 AM.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

CC, That's an interesting take and kind of what I had in mind as to the type of personalities who are attracted to types of jobs. Therefore it may be the personality as much as the job which predispoded one to depression. I grew up around around a greasy spoon restaurant. The family who owned it seemed to be "normal" but the cooks, especially the older ones were almost always alcoholics. I always figured it was because they could get that kind of low paying job all over town. So they would dry out, get a job, get paid and go on another binge, lose their job and move on to another. They could not do that in many other types of higher paid careers. I remember a tv show a few months back which rated people's happiness. The happiest guy there was a mortician! GO FIGURE!

#6 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

I remember a tv show a few months back which rated people's happiness.
The happiest guy there was a mortician!

GO FIGURE!

He was happy because people were just dyeing to give him their business because he was the last person to let them down. :D
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

I knew you were gonna say that. :D