5-min trading

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:07 AM

I know a few guys who make a living trading the 5-min charts. I know a lot who blow up trading the 5-min charts. It's a tough job, which requires hell lot of concentration and razor sharp reflexes. I have tried trading this timeframe in the past and had been moderately sucessful, but had my blood pressure rocketing higher. I primarily trade the 30 and 60-min charts in my core account. Just for fun, i created a small account with tradestation and i have got my system progammed for 5-min charts and it's now on autotrade i.e tradestation would automatically execute my trades based on signals from my system (so no blood pressure :D ). The system i use for my core account is 80% mechanical and 20% discretionary (i use judgement to filter out bad signals based on some objective rules). Now this system for 5-min charts is 100% mechanical. I am very skeptical of 100% mechnical systems, but will see how this goes. I will report in a month, if i made or lost money from this. Any guys here who trade this timeframe ?

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#2 Specul8

Specul8

• Traders-Talk User
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

NAV, presently I trade IWM on the 5 min. time frame. In addition I use a multi day range bar chart to indicate the trend if there is any. :redbull: :bear:

#3 mini-trader

mini-trader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

I know a few guys who make a living trading the 5-min charts. I know a lot who blow up trading the 5-min charts. It's a tough job, which requires hell lot of concentration and razor sharp reflexes. I have tried trading this timeframe in the past and had been moderately sucessful, but had my blood pressure rocketing higher.

I primarily trade the 30 and 60-min charts in my core account. Just for fun, i created a small account with tradestation and i have got my system progammed for 5-min charts and it's now on autotrade i.e tradestation would automatically execute my trades based on signals from my system (so no blood pressure :D ).

The system i use for my core account is 80% mechanical and 20% discretionary (i use judgement to filter out bad signals based on some objective rules). Now this system for 5-min charts is 100% mechanical. I am very skeptical of 100% mechnical systems, but will see how this goes. I will report in a month, if i made or lost money from this.

Any guys here who trade this timeframe ?

Yes, but I trade in volume bars (shares) instead of time (5 min) bars. For instance I might use a 25,000 share bar for the ES. That would average out to around 5 minutes. I use TS as well but found mechanical trading works better in longer periods. Slipage and fees made it tough for me to make much.

I mechanically trade 135 minute and 114,000 share bars on ES always and when I'm here I trade in 5,000 to 50,000 share bars manually.

"Bottoms come fast...Tops take forever"

#4 borland

borland

• Traders-Talk User
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

If your trading momemtum and only using 5 minute intervals, it's sure to work some of the time. You need multiple time intervals to handle different market conditons. Without going into much detail, how did you backtest your trading strategy? Good luck with the trades.

#5 borland

borland

• Traders-Talk User
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

My system just issued a buy signal at 10:55EST based on the 5 and 15 minute stochastics, with condition of positive ROC momentum on 60 minutes. Won't post the sell signal.

#6 ken29

ken29

• Traders-Talk User
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

NAV, Did you get a sell signal on the 30 mins and 60 mins charts today?

#7 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

I've got a 60 min sell on oex,spx,es fwiw

#8 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

NAV,

Did you get a sell signal on the 30 mins and 60 mins charts today?

30-120 min are all on sell. I would like to see the channel at YM 14022 broken, before i start looking for shorts.

Edited by NAV, 15 October 2007 - 10:20 AM.

#9 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

You need multiple time intervals to handle different market conditons.

I disagree with that. You start getting conflicting signals once you start doing that. My 120-min is on a sell, but my 60-min is on a buy. Oh wait my 30-min is on a sell, but is not confirmed by my 5-min. You know what i am talking about.

Without going into much detail, how did you backtest your trading strategy?
Good luck with the trades.

I don't beleive in backtesting. It always good on paper. It takes me five minutes to run the test on TradeStation though. This is a system i have been using for a few years now. I know it's win/loss rate, historical drawdowns etc based on real trading. This is just a fun project. I just want to see how mechanical systems work in reality.

Edited by NAV, 15 October 2007 - 10:28 AM.

#10 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

NAV's becoming a quant!!! :lol: