hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

:D

is the gap this wide?

Posted Image

Edited by hiker, 17 October 2007 - 04:39 PM.

#3 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

image doesn't seem to be displaying but I am a huge enthusiast of verbiage like "vicious" being used in market movement contexts

Edited by MacRo, 17 October 2007 - 04:40 PM.

#4 89S10

89S10

• TT Member+
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Any chance everybody could weigh in on what kinds of things suggest a gap down or a gap up? Here is an idea. I'll take the ideas and research them and publish the results here or to just our registered users. If the work is any good, maybe TT will get more registered users. It would take me about two weeks. I use daily and tick data for the S&P 500 back to 1990. I prefer regular trading hours, but I do the analysis based on the member ideas. I think I have Russell 2000 and Nasdaq 100 back to maybe 1997. I lean towards the use of statistical analysis rather than charts because chart interpretation is in the eye of the beholder. I am serious. Let's try it and see if we can benefit. Rick

#5 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

image doesn't seem to be displaying but I am a huge enthusiast of verbiage like "vicious" being used in market movement contexts

Yep, look how many views the post is generating :)

#6 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

... I am a huge enthusiast of verbiage like "vicious" being used in market movement contexts

Watching the bb squeezes on the dailies and expecting a bit of viciousness any old day now.. If they resolve right in here, they resolve down.

#7 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

Yep, look how many views the post is generating :)

It could have been a vicious gap up, I wouldn't have cared. I just like seeing unsuspecting traders get whipsawed :lol:

#8 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Whether we gap down or gap up....I'm very worried. Normally I don't like to be called a bear or a bull....but right now......I'm more ursine than I was at the July top.... FXI hit a number of mine today ....NIKK could pick up steam to the downside tonight as I think it put in a B wave top the other day and Nav's take on India sounded all too familiar. ...and on our side....besides xbd,bkx, tran....I've got some internal measures that are off the charts and flashing "WARNING".......not to mention a pretty bearish count that I have confidence in (what ever that's worth) There...got that off my chest..... :unsure: :bear: :blink: :bear: :bones: :bear: :sweatingbullets:

#9 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

Yes, everything looks very fragile, unless the daily, weekly, monthly momentum was just an illusion, the market is ready to tank seriously.

This guy is definitely enjoying the show though! :lol:

#10 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

BTW, despite the larger and larger volatility over the past few days, the IV went down today. There is not much serious sellers out there and the market knows, otherwise I would've expected the IV to go up, especially after today's action, I think at least a short term low migth be in...