Photo

How accurately can crashes be predicted ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

If I knew, I wouldn’t have called half a dozen crashes that didn’t happen !

It's all in this interview

http://www.financial.../2007/1024.html

Edited by NAV, 30 October 2007 - 10:41 PM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#2 norton

norton

• TT Member
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

Like many other people Prechtner is very good at rounding up and presenting facts to support where he believes the market will go. Facts? You want facts? Take your pick! The problem has always been his judgement with what to conclude from all those facts. Nav, I read the article and in it he says the mortgage market went down with NO change in fundamentals, like an unfathomable mystery, implying not discernable by anyone. He presents this to support his life contention that markets do NOT move to news or information, read "fundamentals", but really that markets move to waves of sentiment, after all he and Frost wrote the seminal book on it. No analyst that I have read in the past 35 years has been wrong more dramatically or as often than Prechtner. That's called having very bad judgement. And when he says that the mortgage market collapsed with no change in the fundamentals of that market, well that statement made me want to puke. It started with an obviouos increase in people paying late on their mortgages, and it was no mystery that the larger block were the subprime loans. Then the first ARMS upward adjustments, then the easily predictable defaults. To say that these easily discernable fundamental happenings did not cause the mortgage market collapse in not only incredibly stupid, but it is irresponsible also. He is pathetic.
Please, help stamp out vibration.

#3 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:31 AM

Like many other people Prechtner is very good at rounding up and presenting facts to support where he believes the market will go. Facts? You want facts? Take your pick!
The problem has always been his judgement with what to conclude from all those facts.
Nav, I read the article and in it he says the mortgage market went down with NO change in fundamentals,
like an unfathomable mystery, implying not discernable by anyone. He presents this to support his
life contention that markets do NOT move to news or information, read "fundamentals", but really
that markets move to waves of sentiment, after all he and Frost wrote the seminal book on it.
No analyst that I have read in the past 35 years has been wrong more dramatically or as often than
Prechtner. That's called having very bad judgement. And when he says that the mortgage market collapsed with no change in the fundamentals of that market, well that statement made me want to puke.
It started with an obviouos increase in people paying late on their mortgages, and it was no mystery that
the larger block were the subprime loans. Then the first ARMS upward adjustments, then the easily predictable defaults. To say that these easily discernable fundamental happenings did not cause the
mortgage market collapse in not only incredibly stupid, but it is irresponsible also. He is pathetic.

Norton,

I agree 100% with everything you have said.

I just thought i would post this cuz there are folks on this board who can predict the crash right to the exact day ;)

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#4 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

If I knew, I wouldn’t have called half a dozen crashes that didn’t happen !

It's all in this interview

http://www.financial.../2007/1024.html

>After being bullish for five years, you and your subscribers got out of the market just before the Crash of 1987. What were the most important warning signs of a market drop?<

pure bull.....he got everybody out within hours of the bottom.....

the biggest crash in modern history....1987....only one called it from the exact top....and called the exact bottom......using ewave and udder ********....

in his august letter of 87 prechter gave the markets chances of a crash as 10%....in direct response to my letter laying out the crash......he saw it......lolol

#5 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

Like many other people Prechtner is very good at rounding up and presenting facts to support where he believes the market will go. Facts? You want facts? Take your pick!
The problem has always been his judgement with what to conclude from all those facts.
Nav, I read the article and in it he says the mortgage market went down with NO change in fundamentals,
like an unfathomable mystery, implying not discernable by anyone. He presents this to support his
life contention that markets do NOT move to news or information, read "fundamentals", but really
that markets move to waves of sentiment, after all he and Frost wrote the seminal book on it.
No analyst that I have read in the past 35 years has been wrong more dramatically or as often than
Prechtner. That's called having very bad judgement. And when he says that the mortgage market collapsed with no change in the fundamentals of that market, well that statement made me want to puke.
It started with an obviouos increase in people paying late on their mortgages, and it was no mystery that
the larger block were the subprime loans. Then the first ARMS upward adjustments, then the easily predictable defaults. To say that these easily discernable fundamental happenings did not cause the
mortgage market collapse in not only incredibly stupid, but it is irresponsible also. He is pathetic.

Norton,

I agree 100% with everything you have said.

I just thought i would post this cuz there are folks on this board who can predict the crash right to the exact day ;)

People don't understand what Pretcher is all about---that is, he is making a living from being a professional bear. There are thousands of bullish market writers. He has managed to carve an niche for himself, and he is doing rather well, probably much better than if he would otherwise be trying to sell stock tips. The fact that people still pay attention to what he says, attests to his genius as a psychology major.

#6 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

>There are thousands of bullish market writers.<......for everyone you can name who are large bulls ill name u 3 or more permabears....-g-