GOOG, AAPL, ISRG, BIDU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:15 AM

I shorted these 4 yesterday. And then I started thinking.. why ? :) In all seriousness though, GOOG is probably the worst short bet of them all. Company is trading at PEG of 1.26 and forward P/E of 33 not very expensive. My bet here was that they won't take out 700 without a pullback. AAPL ... I just never liked the company and probably the reason I missed out on the stock :) But its the second worst short out of the 4. 1.6 PEG, forward P/E of 30. Their growth is bound to slow down at some point, but who knows when. Now... BIDU and ISRG... thats a different story. BIDU .... I understand the love for China and so on but this is one expensive stock. forward P/E of 90 and PEG 2.82 .... A stock with these parameters can easily dissapoint. But it has relatively low market cap that makes it a little dangerous. ISRG ... 67 forward P/E and 2.3 PEG .... Also a very expensive stock. Also can easily dissapoint. Don't think this has much room to run, which makes it the best short out of 4, IMO, since it doesn't have the China madness associated with it. I'm keeping my finger on the trigger for GOOG and AAPL here, but since I got good prices on all 4 of them, I'm going to hang in BIDU and ISRG for a while, see how it works out. Generaly stocks with high PEG make decent shorts at some point down the road. But the stocks are definitely crazy overbought on weekly charts. 14 RSI is pushing 90 on all of them. Monthlys aren't much better. Pullbacks aren't far off. But this is like shorting Nasdaq in 2000. The madness kept going on and on killing shorts along the way. Yes, at some point shorts made huge money on that stuff, but not without pain.

Edited by ogm, 31 October 2007 - 06:24 AM.

#2 BigBadBear

BigBadBear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:23 AM

"Yo dog...U playin Russian Roulette, playa"[ tryin to help that Russian fella with ebonics, because he hasnt got a clue ] Very risky ogm.. We could be up 500pts today on the DOW

#3 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:29 AM

"Yo dog...U playin Russian Roulette, playa"[ tryin to help that Russian fella with ebonics, because he hasnt got a clue ]

Very risky ogm.. We could be up 500pts today on the DOW

I'm long a little DXD and short a lot of XOM , but.... what does DOW have to do with BIDU ?

Its all about % returns. How much in % terms do these stocks have to the upside today ? Will BIDU be up 40 ? Thats going to be a 10% drawdown on the position for me. And I'm short since 384, so I already have good cushion.

Risk/reward says it won't be up 40 points today, no matter what the DOW does. And even if it is up 40 points, Its not as painful as it sounds :)

Edited by ogm, 31 October 2007 - 06:30 AM.

#4 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:58 AM

Speaking of other risky shorts.... Going short some WYNN and LVS here. WYNN dissapoints on earnings. I guess thats the fate of all stocks with 2+ PEG at some point ;)

#5 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

ogm

my understanding is that ISRG has licensed another company to sell its products in China.

this co. if memory serves me -

http://stockcharts.c...llery.html?chdx

Edited by hiker, 31 October 2007 - 05:13 PM.