Hmm sign of the times?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

The guy was doing door to door sales of some sort, gave me a card that said 'financial advisor' from Edward Jones... he wasn't targetting me specifically, since he didn't know my name.. so he must be going door to door.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#2 Pabst

Pabst

• Traders-Talk User
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

The guy was doing door to door sales of some sort, gave me a card that said 'financial advisor' from Edward Jones... he wasn't targetting me specifically, since he didn't know my name.. so he must be going door to door.

I think that's standard for Edward Jones. Old school face to face stuff. I'd open with a guy like that before I'd park cash with one of those thieving Wall Street firms.
Free market's for free men!

#3 skunk

skunk

• Traders-Talk User
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

Are you sure it wasn't a Jehovah Witness dressed in "financial advisor" clothes? B)

#4 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Are you sure it wasn't a Jehovah Witness dressed in "financial advisor" clothes? B)

hilarious. I had a friend who worked for Ed Jones and they are required to go around the neighborhoods and knock on doors when they first start. Must have been a newbie.

#5 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Edward Jones trainees are required to make at least 25 face-to-face contacts per day. I asked the guy who came by my place.

#6 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

At least face to face is better than cold calling. I had to prospect like that in an old gig a couple years back. One of the hardest jobs I've ever had but also extremely rewarding. Trial-by-fire like that teaches superb people skills. It's brutally competitive in the FA trainee world these days unless you start as a CSA/junior FA on someone else's book of biz. I see guys in bars handing out their cards all the time...

Edited by MacRo, 02 November 2007 - 01:48 PM.