Plotting a course for $SPX 20ma

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:45 AM

Last week I explained how the MA(1,**) is a moving average's rollover/rollunder threshold. And because it is in fact this threshold, the moving average can go and stay flat for as long as price equals the MA(1,**). This week made a great example of that. Until Thursday arrived, that is. Price dived 34.4 points from the MA(1,20) threshold (green line). If that was indeed distribution, then that 34.4 points was taken off the table for good.

To track whether or not that is the case, I've put together a chart that deducts that 34.4 points from the MA(20) flatline threshold (blue line). To keep it hopefully simple, for as long as that 34.4 points is out of the market, price will be unable to crawl much above the blue squiggly line. The blue squiggly line is a threshold precisely 34.4 points below the MA(1,20) green line. I've struck straight lines for both thresholds, and they depict how the 20ma would look if price exactly followed their respective green or blue thresholds. The blue line was plotted from a calculation, so it's placement should be fairly accurate on this chart.

A couple of things to observe:

Notice how today's stick (11/2/2007) has started to pull the brown moving average line down and away from the blue straight line I plotted. That's neither here nor there regarding forcasts... I just want to show an example of how this chart functions. So if/when price crosses above the blue MA(1,20) squiggly line, the 20ma should cross above the plotted blue straight line (if it's correctly plotted).

Also note the highlighted areas. A little price, when position nearby, can turn the moving average by a great deal, especially in those hot pink zones. Should price be in those ranges at those time, it will be telling to see how it gets positioned for those zones and how it reacts once it's there.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=0&mn=2&dy=15&i=p76414587654&a=121314332&r=6196.png

I almost forgot, here's my calculation chart for the 20ma plot. The top of each stick is the flatline threshold. The bottom of each stick is that threshold minus 34.4 points, and is also the close for each stick.

Posted Image

#2 underabigw

underabigw

• Traders-Talk User
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Spielchekr, Another great chart. Thanks for adding the explanation. Is it possible to also include a range projection summary in your explanation. You do some really great work; I think your readership rate would improve greatly the more simple you make things. Heck, I was able to spot the "blue squiggly line" right off without my brain hurting. Thanks again for all your efforts. You are a great asset to the board. Let me guess, you do rocket trajectory work for Nasa in your day job. :D Thanks again, UBW

#3 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Is it possible to also include a range projection summary in your explanation.

Will this do?

Posted Image

Let me guess, you do rocket trajectory work for Nasa in your day job. :D

Nope, but my field is design engineering, and a little bit of that work has actually found its way to NASA. Virtually anything involving machines for production and transportation, in fact. I keep my "rocket trajectory work" limited to the markets. :lol:

Anyhow, I'll leave you with a thought. A moving average is nothing but a very, very simple oscillator. But the daily 20ma is probably far and away the most important one, the one that draws more fighting from all sides, than any other (IMHO). And it's frequently true that price reacts to this oscillator, it is always true that this oscillator reacts to price. Focusing on what is always true is the purpose and point of this exercize.

#4 underabigw

underabigw

• Traders-Talk User
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

Spielchekr, Thanks for the reply. I will start adding the 20 MA to the charts that I watch. Please keep posting. You do some really great work. I think your readership will pickup once people start seeing that they can get the "meat and potatos" from your post without having to work so hard to try and understand what your charts are saying. Thanks again, UBW

#5 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hi Spiel I think your posts need a more precise conclusion and a more concide description of the arguments behind the conclusion in order words where do you see the market going and what will it take based on your methods to reverse the expected direction of the market your methods are very different but very interesting, but i find myself getting lost sometimes with regards to the conclusion and what it would take for the market to reverse the trend your posts are greatly appreciated, so hopefully i am not misunderstood

#6 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

I think your posts need a more precise conclusion and a more concise description of the arguments behind the conclusion

With this particular tool, the goal is not to come to conclusions, if by conclusions you mean wave forms, targets, etc. It's designed to be a reactive monitor, not a proactive crystal ball. Rather than trying to determine how oscillators affect price (BTW as I've said before, a moving average is an oscillator), this tool does the exact opposite. I choose or favor a given moving average, state the +, 0, and + slope character as the definition of the trend, and then the tool measures what each time increment of price is doing to that statement of trend. Here's another way to say it: I can try to predict a trend and watch for price to confirm or deny, OR I can know what price is and what will be required of price to change the trend. I'm not skilled enough (or lucky enough) to be successful with the former, so I work with the latter. And so, if that is my "argument", then my "conclusion" is that I can know if a trend is up, flat or down (as interpreted by whatever moving average I choose), and I can know precisely what price is required to do to change that moving average from down to flat to up to flat to down again.

in order words where do you see the market going and what will it take based on your methods to reverse the expected direction of the market

I only know that, for the moment and on this chart, the market trend is downward, per the 20ma interpretation. I also know that, when the time comes, the chart will achieve either 20ma trend flatness or trend reversal when price itself intersects with the MA(1,20) and traverses above, respectively. Until that moment, the 20ma is down, and the trend as represented by the 20ma is therefore down. The posted chart delimits that threshold, along with the range of "re-accumulation" of the distribution day that will precede any test of that threshold. And since it is a live chart, the moments and outcome of those tests will be recorded. So instead of adding to the pile of predictions, this tool will simply be one measurement their progress.

your methods are very different but very interesting, but i find myself getting lost sometimes with regards to the conclusion and what it would take for the market to reverse the trend

If you accept, for the sake of argument, that "the trend" is being defined as the slope of the 20ma, then it will reverse from the current negative slope into a technically positive slope at the exact point that price intersects and transcends the MA(1,20) green squiggly line by even the slightest amount measurable, and at no other time. Period. It can be no other way mathematically. Also, the impact of the 11/2/2007 distribution day will begin to be backtested at the exact point that price intersects the MA(1,20)-34.4points (blue squiggly line). If/when price enters the zone between those two squiggly lines, we can monitor the progress of reaccumulation of those 34.4 distribution points. The "wormholes" I've highlighted are points of interest, because those spots will require the least amount of upward price change (of any days shown on the current chart) to slow, halt, or reverse the current downward trend. In fact, if price happens to cross through the pink dots, a very sudden and sharp reversal would appear in the ma line. The farther below those dots that price begins a thrust through them, the more dramatic ("pointy") the slope reversal will appear. The higher price is above them, the more stealthy and subtle ("rounded") the slope reversals will look. Staying below the dots will give the appearance of the ma attempting to turn upward, only to fail as the MA(1,20) climbs upward again from there.

your posts are greatly appreciated, so hopefully i am not misunderstood

No misunderstanding at all. I'm glad you're interested enough to "know the mo" as I see it.

#7 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

Correction "Staying below the dots will give the appearance of the ma attempting to turn upward, only to fail as the MA(1,20) climbs upward again from there." Should read: "Price staying below squiggly blue line while passing the dots by will give the appearance of the ma attempting to turn upward, only to fail as the MA(1,20) climbs upward again from there."

#8 Doug

Doug

• Traders-Talk User
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Mr. Spielchekr,

Nice work
. As I study your charts and forcast, It seems that you predict the SPX will close between 1480 and 1520 on Friday, November 16th. Would you concur with that conclusion?

Regards,

#9 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

It seems that you predict the SPX will close between 1480 and 1520 on Friday, November 16th. Would you concur with that conclusion?

I can't agree or disagree based upon this material I'm presenting. But I can show you the effect that price will have on the 20ma, if price elects to be in that vicinity around the 16th. You gave me a 40-point range, so let's look at 20 points below and above the +/- threshold constant for 11/16/2007, which is 1500.63.

Here's 20 points below the 1500.63 constant (a "small" influence, visually):

Posted Image

Here's unison with the 1500.63 constant (flatlined), and keep in mind that this is a 5-1/2 point move BELOW the previous day, "creating" positive divergence:

Posted Image

Here's 20 points above the 1500.63 constant (sharp reversal):

Posted Image

Like I said previously, this is a point of interest. That's because the likelihood of replaying the hugh degree of price movement of 11/1 on 11/16 is rather small. This gives a built-in upside bias to the 20ma slope on 11/16. And since my hypothetical trend price for the preceding day (11/15) is positioned so close to the +/- slope threshold constant for 11/16, the 20ma trend could be flipped positive on 11/16 more easily than any other preceding days.

Here's a mental exercize. Imagine cutting and pasting from the chart below the fractal found to the right of 11/16, then placing it on the last chart above, and then shifting it up by the difference in points between the old "slope maintenance" constant 1466.23 and the "accumulation" price of 1520.63 (a shift of 54.4 points). That price fractal would then create a perfectly straight line struck from the new slope started on the chart above. And BTW, a trend change there to 1520.63 would put us 54.4 points away from the previous trend, 20 points more than the 34.4 points we moved away from the trend on 11/1. And it would come close to creating an included angle at the apex. That goes to show just how much trend line influence is at stake on a setup day like that.Posted Image

#10 Doug

Doug

• Traders-Talk User
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:02 AM

Very interesting. I will enjoy reading your future posts. As a student of Nonlinear Dynamics, I believe strongly in the Predictability of chaotic systems and use my research in my trading. Your post struck a familiar chord.

Regards,