Using TICK Divergences and ES

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

One day trading or trade entry and exit technique that I've occasionally used over the past 6 or so years is NYSE TICK divergences combined with ST ES support and resistance. Basically, you look for a retest of a support or resistance area in the ES and compare the TICK on the retest. You could then either look for a bullish or bearish divergence and enter a trade or position accordingly. I've seen this technicque become less and less reliable as the months pass by. It's been an interesting trend to watch. Anyone else ever use TICK divergence and the ES?

#2 Insider

Insider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

Yes

but it doesn't work real well... lot of false signals :D

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/

Insider
BEAR MARKET - JULY 29, 2011

Current Position:

Short the Dow from 12200

#3 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

Actually, I'm referring to the absolute TICK print at the time of the retest on the ES--not cumulative TICK.

#4 zman

zman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

tradestalker.com it works very good indeed.....
Education is the best defense against the media.

#5 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

I think a number of people on this board use TICK (& TIKI) in conjunction with other indicators. e.g. rule of thumb > ABS(1000) indicating exhaustion or sometimes initiation of a ST move. klh
best,
klh

#6 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

I use the NYSE TICK every day for trading. On "trading" days, i.e. non-trending, the TICK extremes signal entry points for countertrend trades. I guess you could call these "scalp" trades, i.e. 3-5 SP points over very short periods of time. I use the TICK with TIKI too for a similar trade. Part of my daily trading diary, however, is a running list of where the SP was during periods of extreme TICK... these points act as road signs, possibly in the way you are suggesting.... FWIW, on trend days, moves that approach 1%, the countertrend system is not to be used, but it should be noted that on these days extreme TICK readings will likely signal capitulation or exhaustion. By extreme I mean greater than plus or minus 1000. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

Actually, I'm referring to the absolute TICK print at the time of the retest on the ES--not cumulative TICK.

From 1998.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

Fib, Excellent link. Thank you. I look at the TICK as the fuel used by institutions. A plus/minus 1000 TICK can only be generated by institutional programs. I watch the TICK (not on a chart-just the number) and try to profit off the reactions that occur when the institutions temporarily run out of fuel. Ever been in a crowd that was bouncing a balloon around? Up it goes... hovers...sinks...someone else taps it up... up it goes...hovers...sinks.... Up goes the tick....it stalls... I short there's a few more rules than that, but that's the general idea :) mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice