High Priced Wine Tastes Better

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

You gourmet chefs know that one of the secrets of a good meal is presentation as much as flavoring.
Pour some Ripple or Night Train out of a nicer bottle next time.

Link

High price makes wine taste better
RESTAURANTS charging inflated prices for wine could be doing their customers a favour. A study has found that people who pay more for a product do enjoy it more.

The researchers discovered that people given two identical red wines to drink said they got much more pleasure from the one they were told had cost more. Brain scans confirmed that their pleasure centres were activated far more by the higher-priced wine.

The findings could help to explain why rich diners are often willing to pay thousands of pounds for a bottle of fine wine. It seems much of the real pleasure is generated by the high price paid rather than by the quality of the vintage.

Evidence that factors unconnected with the intrinsic qualities of a product can be manipulated to make it more attractive have huge implications for all retailers, not just restaurateurs.
"These results shed light on the neural effects of marketing," said Antonio Rangel, associate professor of economics at the California Institute of Technology, who led the research.
Such studies reflect the growing interest in the new discipline of neuroeconomics, one of the aims of which is to understand the subconscious appeal of luxury products, designer labels and brand names that cost more but offer little extra quality.

Rupert Wollheim, a master of wine who runs ripegrapes.co.uk, an online wine retailer, said that the response described by Rangel was well known in the wine business.
He said: "Price is just one of the elements, but if you served the same wine in better glasses or a grander environment, that would also make people think the very same wine was better."

Other researchers point out that the subjects in the study were not paying for the wine. The pleasure they derived from the belief that they were drinking expensive wine might have been diluted if they had been picking up the bill.
Scott Rick, a researcher in neuroeconomics at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, said: "There are people who derive pleasure from spending, and those for whom it is painful.
"In a study of 13,000 people it emerged that 15% were spendthrifts to whom spending gave pleasure and 25% were tight-wads to whom it gave pain, and the remaining 60% fell in between the two."

Personally, as a professional tightwad, I buy the "better" wine but put it into an old Ripple bottle.
That way I don't feel like I'm wasting my money.
A Dixie cup makes a fine wine glass, only adding to the ambiance.
:lol:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 January 2008 - 10:38 AM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

Sound Clip from Red Foxx as he mixes Beaujolais with Ripple: LINK
"Ripple? Pop, I have a fancy wine called Beaujolais."
"Well son, I'll just pour it into some Ripple and call it "Beaujolipple".

Posted Image
"I take some cream and some Ripple and mix it together.
I call it '"Cripple'!"

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 January 2008 - 12:38 PM.