Went flat

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 FrankT

FrankT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

NAV...Help me out here. In terms of SPX, I thought your stop was 1320. I'm not looking at a chart now, but didn't it move up to about 8 points on the opening and then fail. I would have assumed your stop would have moved up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1328. What made you change the stop? Was it the force and speed of the initial failure? As soon as it started to fail, I bailed. However, I was in a rather illiquid instrument and I did not get a good price, though the general markets were still up. I learned not to trade thinly traded ETF's.

#12 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

NAV keeps his strong credibility by showing up and explaining a trade that didn't work. Much better than posting a trade and then disappearing for weeks from the board after it doesn't work.

#13 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Nav,

I stopped posting RT trades in here a long time ago. Its only good for ego for the most part.

I appreciate your rationale for WHY you enter/exit, however.

Trade safe. And stop taking things so personal :)

dcengr,

Wasting energy on this kind of crap is why i moved to a blog. I saw a compelling setup and that's why i posted on the main baord. Since i posted the trade entry, i posted the closing of the trade as well. Back to my blogging hole.

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#14 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

NAV...Help me out here. In terms of SPX, I thought your stop was 1320. I'm not looking at a chart now, but didn't it move up to about 8 points on the opening and then fail. I would have assumed your stop would have moved up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1328. What made you change the stop? Was it the force and speed of the initial failure? As soon as it started to fail, I bailed. However, I was in a rather illiquid instrument and I did not get a good price, though the general markets were still up. I learned not to trade thinly traded ETF's.

FrankT,

Today's high on SPX was 1348.

As for your question on stops, i always have hard stops. I exit either when my hard stop gets hit or when my signal fails, whichever occurs first. Today was a case of my signal failing. So i am out even before my hard stop was hit. Signal failing is usually a harbinger of your hard stop getting hit eventually, ( although not all the time ). This strategy has saved me quite a lot of money over the long run.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#15 zigzag

zigzag

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

"Its only good for ego for the most part" I disagree. Placing real time trades can bring credibility or maintain credibility. Some folks here may have plans to start a service or may already have a service and want to demonstrate credibility. For someone like me, I have no such plans and it makes no sense to place RT trades but i do pay attention when others do. It takes alot of courage to place RT trades and even more to come back and talk about a busted trade. J

#16 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Let him buy again :)

And when he capitulates the 2nd time, I may cover ;)

Personal or not....no one want to hear something like that after a losing trade...large or small.. You were basically calling him a fade. . . at least that's the way I interpreted it...and I'm sure Nav did too. Just wasn't necessary....no biggie...but not needed...

#17 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

"Its only good for ego for the most part"

I disagree. Placing real time trades can bring credibility or maintain credibility. Some folks here may have plans to start a service or may already have a service and want to demonstrate credibility. For someone like me, I have no such plans and it makes no sense to place RT trades but i do pay attention when others do. It takes alot of courage to place RT trades and even more to come back and talk about a busted trade.

J

Tough to post 8 trades with various profit taking points and adjusted stops within less than 8 hours of trading....just can't be done...especially in this market. Swing positions are different.

#18 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

Nav,

I stopped posting RT trades in here a long time ago. Its only good for ego for the most part.

Yeah right ! Posting a real-time trade is all about getting one's ego massaged. It's not about showing TA works. It's not about sharing trade management techniques with the board. On the other hand, posting exits on trades for which neither entries nor stops were posted is a noble activity, devoid of ego needs and of tremendous benefit to this community and a learning experience to others. Thanks for educating me !

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#19 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Ok I see that.. sorry Nav, I didn't mean you were a fade. Today I have marked as trend-day down, and any pop or ANY bull trying to buy this (by my analysis) would get run over. That was all I was trying to say.

FWIW, I've taken 70% off, and tight stops on remainder. Not as trending as I'd like, but theres a few hours left :huh:

Let him buy again :)

And when he capitulates the 2nd time, I may cover ;)

Personal or not....no one want to hear something like that after a losing trade...large or small.. You were basically calling him a fade. . . at least that's the way I interpreted it...and I'm sure Nav did too. Just wasn't necessary....no biggie...but not needed...

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#20 zigzag

zigzag

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

"Tough to post 8 trades with various profit taking points and adjusted stops within less than 8 hours of trading....just can't be done...especially in this market." Well if you change your mind... you should test the water and have a siminar. Talk about evrything you do in a day. The trading vehicles you use, tools you use, stop strategies you use. You'd make some money and get better at what you do. Teachers always learn the most. J