340 replies to this topic

#51 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

Snow surprises Houston-area residents
Dec. 10, 2008

White stuff fell across much of the Houston area Wednesday evening, as temperatures hovered just above freezing, tying a record for the city's earliest ever snowfall.

Since 1895, according to data collected by Houston's Weather Research Center, snow has fallen this early just once — on Dec. 10, 1944 — during the last 113 years.
Typically, snow falls about every four years in the Houston area. The city's last snowfall was a memorable one, coming on Christmas Eve 2004.

LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 December 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#52 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

UN claims man-made global warming 'proved beyond a doubt'...
By Arthur Max, The Associated Press
10 December 2008
POZNAN, Poland (AP) — Scientists studying the changing nature of the Earth's climate say they have completed one crucial task — proving beyond a doubt that global warming is real.
Now they have to figure out just what to do about it.

Blowback: More Than 650 Scientists Dissent Over Warming Claims...

UN Blowback: More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims
December 10, 2008

Study: Half of warming due to Sun!
–Sea Levels Fail to Rise? - Warming Fears in 'Dustbin of History
'
POZNAN, Poland - The UN global warming conference currently underway in Poland is about to face a serious challenge from over 650 dissenting scientists from around the globe who are criticizing the climate claims made by the UN IPCC and former Vice President Al Gore. Set for release this week, a newly updated U.S. Senate Minority Report features the dissenting voices of over 650 international scientists, many current and former UN IPCC scientists, who have now turned against the UN. The report has added about 250 scientists (and growing) in 2008 to the over 400 scientists who spoke out in 2007. The over 650 dissenting scientists are more than 12 times the number of UN scientists (52) who authored the media hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 December 2008 - 11:52 PM.

#53 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

New Orleans...

December 11, 2008
Since 1850, snow had fallen in "measurable amounts" rather than traces in the city just 17 times, Vasilj said. Of the 17, today's snowfall was the earliest in the season recorded.
As much as 6 inches had piled up in Livingston Parish as of 10 a.m., Vasilj said.
A handful of schools and universities shut down for the day, bus service was disrupted, and flights at Armstrong International were cancelled or delayed.
7,000 power outages statewide.

Posted Image

#54 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

000 SXUS75 KBOU 150120 RRB RERBOU RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO 616 PM MST SUN DEC 14 2008 ...NEW RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE IN DENVER FOR DECEMBER 14TH... THE TEMPERATURE AT DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT PLUNGED TO -15 DEGREES AT 552 PM. THIS IS A NEW RECORD LOW FOR THIS DAY...BREAKING THE OLD RECORD OF -14 DEGREES SET IN 1901.

#55 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

FREAK SNOW HITS THE STRIP
McCarran Airport Closed
Winter Weather Hits Las Vegas
Dec 17, 2008

The snow began to fall across much of the Las Vegas valley early Wednesday afternoon and will continue throughout the overnight hours. This will likely be the biggest snowstorm to impact Las Vegas since 1979, when 7.8 inches of snow was measured at McCarran International Airport.
LINK

#56 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,040 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yanno, back in '79 (I believe we had ahuge blizzard here in Cincinnati), the worry-warts were talking about a new ice age.

I don't know if their failure to do so now is a sign of progress or intellectual dishonesty...

M

Posted Image

FREAK SNOW HITS THE STRIP
McCarran Airport Closed
Winter Weather Hits Las Vegas
Dec 17, 2008

The snow began to fall across much of the Las Vegas valley early Wednesday afternoon and will continue throughout the overnight hours. This will likely be the biggest snowstorm to impact Las Vegas since 1979, when 7.8 inches of snow was measured at McCarran International Airport.
LINK

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#57 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Yanno, back in '79 (I believe we had ahuge blizzard here in Cincinnati), the worry-warts were talking about a new ice age.

I don't know if their failure to do so now is a sign of progress or intellectual dishonesty...

M

It's a sign that another ice age IS coming.
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#58 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

Dec 19, 2008

Powerful winter storm cuts power, disrupts travel...

Races from Midwest to Northeast...

WATCH: NYC May Get 8 Inches...

CHICAGO: Do Not Drive, Public Told...

BOSTON: State Workers Kept Home...

MAP: WATCH/WARNING...

RADAR...
Skiers' lament: Aspen's snow keeps coming, but 'too cold to enjoy it'...

#59 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,884 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

ICE AGE Dec 22 2008
The 14.5-inch snowfall Sunday in Portland, Maine, surpassed the old record for Dec. 21 of 12.4 inches, set in 1933. On the other side of the country, a total of 11 to 13 inches in Portland, Ore., was the biggest snowfall since January 1980. Depending on how much more fell Monday as the snow trailed off, the storm could rank as one of the city's 10 worst on record.

'All parts of Canada' may see first white Christmas since '71...

SEVERE COLD WAVE TO HIT EUROPE...

Beijing's coldest December day in 57 years...

Widespread winter blast strands holiday travelers...

Bitter cold, high winds...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 22 December 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#60 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

The record snowfall here was for the "date..." we've had more snow. 'twas nothing. But it is freaking cold. That said, I've seen tons of snow in my life, yet the trend has been to warmer temperatures overall. One of my favorite "youth" memories was going to New Orleans in a caravan of cars in 1971 (although I don't remember much of it, as it was a particularly hazy few weeks) for Mardi Gras. February 15. On the way home it started snowing, people were standing in the streets aghast many had never seen snow. By the time we got to Ohio/Penn the blizzard was so bad it shut the Pennsylvania turnpike down for almost a week. We had no money and had to sleep in our car (a 50 dollar Chevy Impala with a mattress for a front seat). That wasn't the end of the world or the new ice age. Any effort to reduce the negative impact of our daily life on the ecology of the planet is good thing. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice