Looking to get aggressively short over the next few weeks

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

Thats funny Semi...i keep wondering if i am to close to the fire having my primary means of income from real estate ...needless to say its a depression with entire neighboorhoods underwater here in Vegas(equity wise) that being said if i guy like me who puts down 35% cash on a property BEFORE the bubble starts to see his money slip away then we will have complete armageddon! I have mentioned this before...

#12 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

To all the doom and gloom posters: I am afraid there is a lot of truth in what you say. For years and years I have heard that the consumer and retailing is 70% of the economy. Well....finally the consumers are at a point where they have maxed out their credit limit. The gas prices along with food prices are putting the final squeeze. I just can't visualize which entity will provide the catalyst to jump start the economy for 2 years going forward. Consumer....tapped out by gas & food, final kick will be climbing unemployment Bernanke.....that sherrif is out of ammo with interest rates way below inflation already US Treasury.....National debt, budget deficit going parabolic State Govt's:....22 are facing budget deficits and have no money printing machines Banks & Brokers.....scrambling to stay solvent. The only segments who will do ok are manufacturers who export goods and services and deep discount retailers such as Wal-Mart & Costco. But can a two legged stool stay stable for long? May be in a circus act.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#13 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

It's going to be a long hot summer. I recommend to everyone to take precautions. Make sure you have that emergency cache of water, food, firearms or whatever you might need prepared...

We must be about to rally when the water, food, and guns talk starts. :lol:

IT

#14 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:24 AM

semi im crapping myself. if ben doesnt do something soon, we are in serious trouble. 2 guys from my street made redundant.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#15 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:25 AM

It's going to be a long hot summer. I recommend to everyone to take precautions. Make sure you have that emergency cache of water, food, firearms or whatever you might need prepared...

IT

at least he posted an opinion. which many here dont, rather they contribute little and mock others for what they post.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#16 emdee

emdee

• TT Member+
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:31 AM

IT

Don't forget the duct tape :lol:

#17 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

when you start talking guns i hope you don't mean civil unrest or total anarchy.

people might be more inclined to the gun thing if gas prices go much higher. an awlful lot of folks are getting gas stolen from their tanks.

people drillingholes, siphoning, you name it. Its increasing a lot. This is almost getting as bad as the copper stripping from homes and buildings and yards etc.

the commodity inflation is causing a lot of strange stuff to happen.

prices of gasoline going hgher here, as the already are in europe, say approaching the $6 to $9 mark willhave a HUGE detrimental effect. Europe has been used to higher prices for years. Their infrastructure supports higher prices. People their have more transportation choices, live closer to their jobs, and aren't spread far and wide in poorly planned suburbia.

Here, we need low priced fuel. We are doomed without it. Folks can't handle it. Many are stretched thin now at $4. 5 or 6 will put people over the edge. Massive quantities of folks will revolt. Our gubmint will have to step in somehow. Their stoopid "probes" don't mean squat and average joe six pack is gonna reach the breaking point, and start teeing off big time on our gubmint. In what form that takes, who the heck knows ? marches on DC, local riots, demonstrations, raids on city/state gubmint buildings, work stoppages in key industries like trucking, food transport, ---- the list is endless of how people could revolt.

we are nearing these types of stages though. too many items are goign way up, and as food is now really getting hit with inflation, that hits home hard for a lot of folks.

so who knows. semi may be on to something. people responding to this thread don't appear to be the typical doom and gloomers.

though the board does have a distinctly gloomy gus tone far different than even 6 months ago.

one major thing is airline travel has gotten really really bad. the impatience of travelers is non-existent. i mean none. nada. the blow at the first sign of trouble. some nice old lady started teeing off on me, because our plane had to de-board ,before everyone was even on. had to re-plane, and wait for a whole new crew. no reason cited. just happened. lady was pissed bc they said folks who had already begun boarding and had tickets taken would go first. she was one of them. she tried butting in front of me, and i told her to hold her horses, as we all will get their at the same time. there were only 6 people in front of me. why did she need to get closer ? so she could sit on a plane forever while it boards.

she tells me "i'm such a world traveler" after i told her, i wouldn't be upfront in line if i wasnt supposed to. i said i can spot infrequent travelers like her. they are the most impatient. she took offense. chill lady. the way she looked iwas afraid she'd pull a knife out or a gun. what a nutjob.

so people are on edge about a ton of stuff:
high food prices
high oil prices
continued terrible bad air traffic
subprime
major home depreciation
foreclosures
homes not selling easily
unemployment increasing
Iraq debacle ongoing endlessly
market looking pretty shaky
banks having trouble
major hedge funds imploding
china scarfing up resources
the dollar still crumbling

its a lot to swallow.

then throw on more war with Iran
a coming prez election unknown
soicial security insolvency risks
medicaid problems
massively rising health care costs
federal debt in the trillions
conitiued terrorism threats

and you have a pretty good brew of disaster scenarios easily floating to mind, coupled with daily nightly hourly news negativity from internet tv, podcasts, everywhere, and it makes you wonder how it is we haven't simply imploded yet.

good news about anything is the scarcest of all the commodities these days at least in this country.

Edited by nimblebear, 11 June 2008 - 09:46 PM.

OTIS.