UNG - too tempting to pass up

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

• Traders-Talk User
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

While the recently released inventory levels were discouraging, I couldn't pass up the technical pattern in the charts below. Just before the close I bought at 15.22 and set a "Trade Trigger" to take me out if it breaks 14.99. Of course the market makers know there's a whole mess of us just under 15 so my chances of being taken out are high, nevertheless the pattern was just too good to pass up.

-MK

http://stockcharts.c...69674&r=321.png
http://stockcharts.c...77824&r=812.png

#2 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

I have a starter position which I will not sell. All my research on natural gas (especially using the inflation-adjusted price) indicates that it's the bargain of a decade right now.

Will wait to see some strength before buying anymore, though. Let it be guilty until proven innocent.

Reminds me a lot of oil not long ago:
Posted Image
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#3 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have a starter position which I will not sell. All my research on natural gas (especially using the inflation-adjusted price) indicates that it's the bargain of a decade right now.

Will wait to see some strength before buying anymore, though. Let it be guilty until proven innocent.

Reminds me a lot of oil not long ago:
Posted Image

I started nibbling for the first time at the close on HNU. its the Canadian Horizons BetaPro Nat gas ETF. Bought at 1.92. I will buy lower if the decline continues.

BS is beautiful

Senor

#4 uncleharley

uncleharley

• Traders-Talk User
  • 648 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

That gap down looks like a runaway gap. I think I'll wait a few days. <_<

#5 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

IMO natural gas is a dead horse for now. Shale deposits are coming on line and providing tremendous amounts of cheap gas for many years. Donald Coxe is bearish now on natgas and gives his reasons HERE. Of course, he addresses Natural gas in the last 10 minutes of his broadcast so be patient or move to the end of his question answer period. Being a card carrying member of the Donald Coxe fan club my view is his view. ;)

uc, I believe you have it right.....continued downward pressure on natgas pricing.

Good trading to all.
Peace
johngeorge

#6 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

IMO natural gas is a dead horse for now. Shale deposits are coming on line and providing tremendous amounts of cheap gas for many years. Donald Coxe is bearish now on natgas and gives his reasons HERE. Of course, he addresses Natural gas in the last 10 minutes of his broadcast so be patient or move to the end of his question answer period. Being a card carrying member of the Donald Coxe fan club my view is his view. ;)

uc, I believe you have it right.....continued downward pressure on natgas pricing.

Good trading to all.

i am w/you jg, i have a small starter ng position which i have not added to. the market has given me no reason to add. fresh new lows is an ominous sign. and the graveyards are filled w/traders who try to pick the bottom. i am very cautious towards this market. dharma

#7 Mike

Mike

• Traders-Talk User
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

Dharma, if you're a trader and you see a great setup - you trade it. Picking a bottom is what investors do. As a trader, if I take on a setup and it later turns out to have been a bottom, that's iceing on the cake. And Johngeorge, Coxe, isn't a trader, he's a long term investor. I wonder how his new commodity fund, that bears his name, is doing; it opened to the public at the top of the commodity bubble last year. All those pre-open institutions that bought in are way, way underwater. But I like Coxe and listen to his weekly comments.
-MK

#8 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

Dharma, if you're a trader and you see a great setup - you trade it. Picking a bottom is what investors do. As a trader, if I take on a setup and it later turns out to have been a bottom, that's iceing on the cake. And Johngeorge, Coxe, isn't a trader, he's a long term investor. I wonder how his new commodity fund, that bears his name, is doing; it opened to the public at the top of the commodity bubble last year. All those pre-open institutions that bought in are way, way underwater. But I like Coxe and listen to his weekly comments.
-MK

mike , its why i put on an ng position. however, the downtrend has not turned yet, so i have not added. the metrics w/the shale drilling has changed for ng, so we have to see @what price the bottom will be put in. i never add to a losing position. and that has served me well. dharma

#9 uncleharley

uncleharley

• Traders-Talk User
  • 648 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Sigh. Traders call me aninvestor and investors call me a trader. I just can't find a friend.

#10 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

Sigh. Traders call me an investor and investors call me a trader. I just can't find a friend.

I am your friend and I solved that a long time ago. B) Join me as a POSITION TRADER. :D

mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!