• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Whether he's a trader or not doesn't matter to me The point is that many people take his trading recommendations to heart and they don't realize they're being fooled by a guy with a terrible track record over the years
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#12 muskoka joe

muskoka joe

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

Whether he's a trader or not doesn't matter to me

The point is that many people take his trading recommendations to heart and they don't realize they're being fooled by a guy with a terrible track record over the years

He recommended buying the open Oct 19th 1987. He was bearish before that tho.

#13 inamosa

inamosa

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Whether he's a trader or not doesn't matter to me

The point is that many people take his trading recommendations to heart and they don't realize they're being fooled by a guy with a terrible track record over the years

He recommended buying the open Oct 19th 1987. He was bearish before that tho.

Tell me how long you've been aware of Precther's trade recommendations...I guarantee it hasn't been long, judging from your response to me

Never been a fan of Bob's but I know from others (including former subscribers) he's been a terrible timer over the years

Too bad all he talks about are the few correct calls he's made

For every correct call he seems to have a dozen bad ones
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#14 laza

laza

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

He's done some trading in his time. He won the U.S. Trading Championship in 1984, with a then-record 444% return in a monitored options trading account (Source: Wikipedia). But his main deal is analysis.

#15 inamosa

inamosa

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Here’s how Prechter’s trading advice has done from 1/1/85 through 5/31/09 versus the broad U.S. stock market average (Wilshire 5000 index), according to newstracker Mark Hulbert’s analysis:

Annualized Return:
* Wilshire 5000 Index + 9.7 percent
* Prechter'’s Trading Advice -15.4 percent

Total Return:
* Wilshire 5000 Index + 857.1 percent
* Prechter's Trading Advice - 98.3 percent

$100,000 Invested (1/1/85-5/31/09):
* Wilshire 5000 Index $957,100
* Prechter's Trading Advice $1,700

( This info is taken from: http://www.erictyson...ticles/20090616 )

There are few portfolios with worse performance - and I mean anywhere.

He is a smart guy judging by his book and from some of his analysis. But, you should think twice before following his trading recommendations. In fact, he's actually been a great fade over the years.

Edited by Aly, 29 August 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#16 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

Permabears and Permabulls like Prechter and da_cheif are bound to be right during some part of the market cycles. But, both have been wrong for decades on their so called "Big picture stuff". Prechter at least posts some e-wave charts to back his opinion. I am yet to see one single e-wave chart from da_cheif, anywhere on the web. Both are big waste of my time IMHO. There's no substitute for independent thinking in this business.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#17 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

5) Friday's Daily Sentiment Index was 89% bulls. At the March 2009 lows it was 2%. At the peak of October 2007 it was 88% so Friday's peak exceeded that.

Anybody know what the "daily sentiment index" referenced here is and where its history is available? Just curious.... Thanks, D
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#18 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

5) Friday's Daily Sentiment Index was 89% bulls. At the March 2009 lows it was 2%. At the peak of October 2007 it was 88% so Friday's peak exceeded that.

Anybody know what the "daily sentiment index" referenced here is and where its history is available? Just curious.... Thanks, D

Try this link:
http://www.trade-fut.../dsireport.html

#19 CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael

• Traders-Talk User
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

Investors' Intelligence

#20 CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael

• Traders-Talk User
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

Here’s how Prechter’s trading advice has done from 1/1/85 through 5/31/09 versus the broad U.S. stock market average (Wilshire 5000 index), according to newstracker Mark Hulbert’s analysis:

Annualized Return:
* Wilshire 5000 Index + 9.7 percent
* Prechter'’s Trading Advice -15.4 percent

Total Return:
* Wilshire 5000 Index + 857.1 percent
* Prechter's Trading Advice - 98.3 percent

$100,000 Invested (1/1/85-5/31/09):
* Wilshire 5000 Index $957,100
* Prechter's Trading Advice $1,700

( This info is taken from: http://www.erictyson...ticles/20090616 )

There are few portfolios with worse performance - and I mean anywhere.

He is a smart guy judging by his book and from some of his analysis. But, you should think twice before following his trading recommendations. In fact, he's actually been a great fade over the years.

No need to show me that. I went broke following his advice in '99. He was proved right though - eventually. Unfortunately, eventually wasn't soon enough for me. That's why, even though I still subscribe to his service I try to keep his analysis in perspective. I don't follow it reflexively but wait for confirmation, in this case from the FED. Yes, I know the FED has many tricks up its sleeve to throw you off. I have a strong suspicion though that the traders at Goldman Sachs get a clearer picture of what the FED is planning. Just a feeling though. But one thing the FED can't fake is its interest rate stance. Just watch FED Funds. That'll tell the tale. And beware the Plunge Protection Team. They're there to protect the options writers at Goldman Sachs - or so I think. Options buyers beware! Stick to the ETFs. You won't make as much money true, but you'll survive the machinations of the Plunge Protection Team.

Edited by CallMeIshmael, 30 August 2009 - 09:57 AM.