41 replies to this topic

#31 draggen33

draggen33

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

two more rings found around URANUS!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10574903/

I knew it's been much more special of a planet than we thought all this time! :P

LOL, LOL, LOL

#32 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Banning short selling is absolutely idiotic, naked or otherwise. Russian, Thailand, China, US financial stocks - DOES NOT WORK. Why not leave the markets alone? EUR/USD went into a mini waterfall, this might seem like a time to cover - but I am not budging. Adding on shorts here is probably the right thing to do, global idiocy just went up a notch.

Edited by rkd80, 18 May 2010 - 02:34 PM.

“be right and sit tight”

#33 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

two more rings found around URANUS!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10574903/

I knew it's been much more special of a planet than we thought all this time! :P

More than that. Did you know Klingons like to hide in the rings of Uranus?
40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#34 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Banning short selling is absolutely idiotic, naked or otherwise. Russian, Thailand, China, US financial stocks - DOES NOT WORK. Why not leave the markets alone?

EUR/USD went into a mini waterfall, this might seem like a time to cover - but I am not budging. Adding on shorts here is probably the right thing to do, global idiocy just went up a notch.

Banning naked short selling is just requiring the seller to be able to borrow certificates, at least that's what it means here in the US, where is has been banned for some time. I don't think it's idiotic, unless there's something I'm missing, or unless the term is being used in some different fashion than what we mean here in the US.

IT

Edited by IndexTrader, 18 May 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#35 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

The most important part of the announcement is the tax they are proposing. It will be interesting to see if that picks up traction throughout the rest of the EU and in the U.S.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#36 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Let's separate the apples from oranges here, there are two different markets;

Securities markets: there has to be a standard security that needs to be at least that one can point with a finger that there is a buying or selling interest on it. It has to settle a security at the end of the day...

Futures markets: there has to be a standard contract where one has to be able to deposit a minimum bond (margin) to be able to speculate about the future prices of the securities without any security involved. It is a bet and it has to settle a contract at the end of the day...

When you treat the securities like a futures contract where there is really no securities settlement, you are basically distorting the market. This is done by naked short selling. Nobody should pretend to own a security that they don't, this is not securities trading then, it is a futures contract agreement. There is a separate market for that, you go speculate there.

Somebody who owns a security and looking to sell short in futures is also called a hedger, this is also not speculating, the margins are lower for these investors. Basically, not only we are mixing the securities and futures markets here, but we are also punishing the people who are legitimate owners of the securities as well by doing so. They all have to be nicely separated.

I am ALL IN FAVOR OF NAKED SHORT SELLING BAN. It sure seems like the futures speculators' way of getting around the regulations in order to easily hedge their market exposure in the securities without any real change in the supply and demand balance. THIS IS WRONG AND SHOULD BE UNLAWFUL. You have a separate futures market for that purpose, a speculator should simply go trade there...

Am I missing something?

Edited by arbman, 18 May 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#37 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Banning short selling is absolutely idiotic, naked or otherwise. Russian, Thailand, China, US financial stocks - DOES NOT WORK. Why not leave the markets alone?

EUR/USD went into a mini waterfall, this might seem like a time to cover - but I am not budging. Adding on shorts here is probably the right thing to do, global idiocy just went up a notch.

Banning naked short selling is just requiring the seller to be able to borrow certificates, at least that's what it means here in the US, where is has been banned for some time. I don't think it's idiotic, unless there's something I'm missing, or unless the term is being used in some different fashion than what we mean here in the US.

IT

I am confused then. If this applies to default swaps then I can understand ( i guess there has been some serious manipulation in that area), but this ban is extended to stocks and bonds, no? Is this any different than America's ban in 2008? Our ban in America was formed as a response to the meltdown in stocks, it did nothing to stem the bleeding. Its just a scapegoat mechanism to explain away why people are selling junk that has no value. Blaming short sellers is a hobby of the elites, something they did in the 1930s - evil speculators, bla bla.

Germany is expecting some news this is why they are doing it, it is underhanded and slimy.

Edited by rkd80, 18 May 2010 - 03:02 PM.

“be right and sit tight”

#38 cgnx

cgnx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

I dunno bout you butt naked shorts, New Moons and Uranus sounds like a PARTY to me. :cheer: :banana: By the way, Naked Shorting is a deadly game. Should never be. Tool of the Sharks to crush with impunity. To be greatly feared by all. Very powerful tool. I sure wish those naked shorting would be exposed. Transparency? My a$$. You'll never see this info.
If it can be cornered, it will.

#39 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Once again, they are banning the naked short selling (without actually finding the borrowable shares), not the regular short selling, right?

http://www.bloomberg...id=ao6BsFTFFiKc

Edited by arbman, 18 May 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#40 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Once again, they are banning the naked short selling (without actually finding the borrowable shares), not the regular short selling, right?

http://www.bloomberg...id=ao6BsFTFFiKc

Naked short selling in the derivative market is one thing, but when it comes to stocks is it not an entirely different matter? Basically you if you plan to short, you better deliver the goods in case you are wrong - is this not the gist of banning naked CDSs? I am trying to ask, how is this any different than what the US markets did in 2008? Frankly, I find short banning in the midst of a crisis a pathetic reaction from the standpoint of gov't.
“be right and sit tight”