Raymond Merriman's Short Term Thoughts on Gold

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 tradermama

tradermama

• Traders-Talk User
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Well, it looks as if Merriman may have been correct in informing his subscribers to short gold last week as gold is down over 1% this morning. I just read his monthly MMA Cycles Report which came out today (Tues, Aug 24th) and he's still bearish on gold over the next few weeks. The primary cycle low is due in the next 1 to 7 weeks and the price target is $1,128.50 +/- $16.70 for the December futures contract.

Gold could go even lower than that if the half cycle of the 4.25 year cycle is going to unfold as well as the primary cycle. However, the time frame for the 22 month cycle low could be anytime between now and May 2011.

Thanks Ken for your updates.
TM

#12 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Well, it looks as if Merriman may have been correct in informing his subscribers to short gold last week as gold is down over 1% this morning. I just read his monthly MMA Cycles Report which came out today (Tues, Aug 24th) and he's still bearish on gold over the next few weeks. The primary cycle low is due in the next 1 to 7 weeks and the price target is $1,128.50 +/- $16.70 for the December futures contract.

Gold could go even lower than that if the half cycle of the 4.25 year cycle is going to unfold as well as the primary cycle. However, the time frame for the 22 month cycle low could be anytime between now and May 2011.

even the best occasionally get it wrong. imho gold will make new forever highs in october.
and the 4.25 cycle will cause problems after that high.
its why no matter what i stick to my own work . we all get it wrong now and again. but if i do my own
work and stick to it, @ least i know what i am doing and can learn from my mistakes.
above 1229 and it indicates an assault on the highs. seasonally we are entering the strong season
dharma

#13 Ken

Ken

• Traders-Talk User
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

even the best occasionally get it wrong. imho gold will make new forever highs in october.
its why no matter what i stick to my own work . we all get it wrong now and again. but if i do my own
work and stick to it, @ least i know what i am doing and can learn from my mistakes.
above 1229 and it indicates an assault on the highs. seasonally we are entering the strong season
dharma

Well you and Merriman could both be right. It's not inconceivable that gold puts in a primary cycle bottom between now and Sept 21st where Merriman has a critical reversal date and then gold blasts off to new highs in October. Merriman is also bullish on gold in October because Mars will enter Scorpio from Sept 14th to Oct 28th and he expects a 2 to 4 week strong rally during this time, especially from Sept 24th. Who knows what will happen?

Personally, I'm not short gold. I am short gold mining stocks because even if gold holds up well I can't help but think the general stock market will pull down the gold mining stocks if the sell-off gets well underway which I think it will over the next few weeks.

Merriman did admit that he would not want to see gold close above $1,250 this week or that would negate his bearish perspective.

#14 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

dharma

Well you and Merriman could both be right. It's not inconceivable that gold puts in a primary cycle bottom between now and Sept 21st where Merriman has a critical reversal date and then gold blasts off to new highs in October. Merriman is also bullish on gold in October because Mars will enter Scorpio from Sept 14th to Oct 28th and he expects a 2 to 4 week strong rally during this time, especially from Sept 24th. Who knows what will happen?

Personally, I'm not short gold. I am short gold mining stocks because even if gold holds up well I can't help but think the general stock market will pull down the gold mining stocks if the sell-off gets well underway which I think it will over the next few weeks.

Merriman did admit that he would not want to see gold close above $1,250 this week or that would negate his bearish perspective.

ken,
thanks for the merriman updates, i appreciate it
dharma

#15 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

TM

Dharma, am I correct in assuming you have a 4.25 yr cycle high due in October? If so that might mesh bueno with a somewhat grande completion chart set up that Senor thinks could be taking place the next few months? When I say grande I mean it could lead to a 6-18 month correction.

NO BS

Senor

Edited by senorBS, 25 August 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#16 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I think senor bs is not bsing would Octo be completion of the grande 3 with a huge 4 down before a massive 5?

#17 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

TM

Dharma, am I correct in assuming you have a 4.25 yr cycle high due in October? If so that might mesh bueno with a somewhat grande completion chart set up that Senor thinks could be taking place the next few months? When I say grande I mean it could lead to a 6-18 month correction.

NO BS
senor

honestly , i dont know how long the correction takes.
i do know time is becoming more and more compressed
silver supplies are almost nonexistent.
the banksters if not already long gold are working that way
banksters are short on patience
wave 5 for commodities are the big wave
Morgan Stanley Analyst Says Governments to Default
http://www.businessw...to-default.html
tells me gold reevaluation comes soon.
in bull markets surprises are on the upside.
the top of 1 was 1033 , 4 cannot overlap w/1
so 1033 should be the floor
confidence in government is eroding.
wave 2 was weeks
ride the bull.
bond holders will have a rude awakening
holders of fiat will have a rude awakening
http://www.youtube.c...r/MetaMindMusic
dharma

Edited by dharma, 26 August 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#18 Ken

Ken

• Traders-Talk User
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:22 AM

An update on Merriman's thoughts of which he has two potential scenarios for gold. All gold prices in this post are of the gold continuous contract ($GOLD) from Stockcharts.com. One potential scenario is that the last primary cycle (15 to 21 weeks from low to low) was on May 21st ($1,166.50) and the half primary cycle low was on July 28th ($1,155.90). Since July 28th was lower in price than May 21st then this current primary cycle is bearish and gold should put in a primary cycle low soon. In fact, this week (Aug 30 - Sept 3rd) is the 15th week of the current primary cycle. The price target for the upcoming primary cycle low is $1,128.50 +/- $16.70. The price target for this current half-primary cycle crest is $1,209.40 - $1,253.90. Gold is in the upper range of that price target. Merriman has advised his subscribers to short gold with a stop-loss on a close above $1,255. The second potential scenario is that the last primary cycle low was not on May 21st but was actually on July 28th ($1,155.90). If that is true, then this current primary cycle for gold would be extremely bullish. However, Merriman believes there's only a 5% chance that is an accurate labeling of the gold cycles because that would mean the last primary cycle was truly extended for a whopping 25 weeks from the lows of February 5th ($1,044.80) to the lows of July 28th ($1,155.90). Gold primary cycles can extend beyond 21 weeks in duration from low to low but it's unusual and happens less than 5% of the time. Which scenario is correct? We'll have to wait to find out if gold can close above $1,255 very soon. Merriman admits that as an analyst he'd love to see gold drop below $1,159 in the next two weeks. However, as a realist, he thinks everything the U.S. government and the Federal Reserve is doing is bullish for gold in the long run. I should add that even if the second scenario is the correct labeling of the gold cycles with July 28th as the last primary cycle low which is very bullish there would still be a major cycle low (5 to 7 weeks from low to low) due in the next two weeks. Gold would need to close below the 25 day simple moving average which is currently $1,212.20. Not much of a drop from where gold is priced right now, is it? The first scenario is still possible based on price since gold has yet to close above $1,255. However, based on time the first scenario is looking a little less and less likely. Remember under the first scenario this current primary cycle is bearish. If this current primary cycle is indeed bearish then the price of gold needs to start declining very soon. The price of gold is still quite high very late in a bearish primary cycle - this is unusual. However, according to Merriman, Mercury has gone retrograde from August 20th to September 12th and nothing is ever normal during this time band. Mercury retrograde is also a time when you get many false buy and sell signals from technical analysis. Personally, I'm short gold mining stocks via HGD.TO and I'm in the red. :-( I also have a short position on COMEX silver via HZD.TO which is currently at break even.

#19 tradermama

tradermama

• Traders-Talk User
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:42 AM

An update on Merriman's thoughts of which he has two potential scenarios for gold. All gold prices in this post are of the gold continuous contract ($GOLD) from Stockcharts.com.

One potential scenario is that the last primary cycle (15 to 21 weeks from low to low) was on May 21st ($1,166.50) and the half primary cycle low was on July 28th ($1,155.90). Since July 28th was lower in price than May 21st then this current primary cycle is bearish and gold should put in a primary cycle low soon. In fact, this week (Aug 30 - Sept 3rd) is the 15th week of the current primary cycle. The price target for the upcoming primary cycle low is $1,128.50 +/- $16.70. The price target for this current half-primary cycle crest is $1,209.40 - $1,253.90. Gold is in the upper range of that price target. Merriman has advised his subscribers to short gold with a stop-loss on a close above $1,255.

The second potential scenario is that the last primary cycle low was not on May 21st but was actually on July 28th ($1,155.90). If that is true, then this current primary cycle for gold would be extremely bullish. However, Merriman believes there's only a 5% chance that is an accurate labeling of the gold cycles because that would mean the last primary cycle was truly extended for a whopping 25 weeks from the lows of February 5th ($1,044.80) to the lows of July 28th ($1,155.90). Gold primary cycles can extend beyond 21 weeks in duration from low to low but it's unusual and happens less than 5% of the time.

Which scenario is correct? We'll have to wait to find out if gold can close above $1,255 very soon. Merriman admits that as an analyst he'd love to see gold drop below $1,159 in the next two weeks. However, as a realist, he thinks everything the U.S. government and the Federal Reserve is doing is bullish for gold in the long run.

I should add that even if the second scenario is the correct labeling of the gold cycles with July 28th as the last primary cycle low which is very bullish there would still be a major cycle low (5 to 7 weeks from low to low) due in the next two weeks. Gold would need to close below the 25 day simple moving average which is currently $1,212.20. Not much of a drop from where gold is priced right now, is it?

The first scenario is still possible based on price since gold has yet to close above $1,255. However, based on time the first scenario is looking a little less and less likely. Remember under the first scenario this current primary cycle is bearish. If this current primary cycle is indeed bearish then the price of gold needs to start declining very soon. The price of gold is still quite high very late in a bearish primary cycle - this is unusual. However, according to Merriman, Mercury has gone retrograde from August 20th to September 12th and nothing is ever normal during this time band. Mercury retrograde is also a time when you get many false buy and sell signals from technical analysis.

Personally, I'm short gold mining stocks via HGD.TO and I'm in the red. :-(

I also have a short position on COMEX silver via HZD.TO which is currently at break even.

Thanks Ken for these updates. May I ask you how accurate is Merriman overall for his subscription to the gold/silver report. Just curious. I only buy his forecast book every year..mainly for the astro stuff. The cycle stuff, confuses me because of all the different cycles people follow. I can't wrap my head around it but I do well with my own TA...enough to manage my risk and make profits. I do find many times, I can incorporate what I see on a TA basis with astrology and some of these cycles..it just depends which cycles are correct. :D

Last notes I had from his update was on 8/24 where he thought gold would be bearish for a few weeks a low due 1-7 week price target 1128.50 +/- 16.70 which would basically give you a range of 1112-1145...and that it could go lower. but said if it got over 1245 he was wrong. I think that is what I got out of it. We are over 1245 now and getting close to his 1255 target (so far hi today 1254.20 this morning).

Yes, I'm also aware of the effects of Mercury Retro..on ta..and also how long rallies normally last..1-4 days for equities..not sure on gold though. We are overbot but there seems to be an underlying constant bid here on gold and silver..which could be the start of the parabolic rise I think Dharma is looking for into October..it's just a feeling I"m getting here. They can't seem to take it down. I recall over the summer a few gurus including Merriman calling for a huge drop in gold before August..ie; 200-300 pt...but yet still bullish long term on gold.

Just curious what would you say his accuracy is. Thanks again

TM

#20 Ken

Ken

• Traders-Talk User
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

tradermama,

Sorry but I honestly can't comment on Raymond Merriman's accuracy regarding cycles. I've been a subscriber of his weekly gold & silver reports for about 8 months but there haven't been that many major cycles in that time period and there have been even fewer primary cycle lows - only two so far, I think.

In addition, when I first became a subscriber of his weekly gold & silver reports I was more interested in his critical reversal dates based on astrology because I found those worked well. The cycles analysis of the reports confused me and it took me a while before I really understood it well. I will say that between Merriman's monthly MMA Cycles Report and his weekly gold & silver reports I have been more successful at making money in the markets than before.

Right now I'm sweating bullets because spot gold in New York is currently trading around $1,254.40/$1,255.40 which hits Merriman's stop-loss of $1,255. Now Merriman was very specific and stated that gold would need to close above $1,255 but it's looking like it just might do that today. However, it seems silly to sell out of my short position now when on the daily charts gold mining stocks are getting overbought and could sell-off any day now. Another problem is that Merriman stated in the past that during Mercury retrograde prices can move well past support and resistance areas and then suddenly reverse. That could be the situation here with gold.