• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:41 AM

WOW are you guys kidding me ??
these two things have nothing to do with each other. where did you guys hear this?
now im shocked :lol:

Gary is right, working with a small amount you can get doubles and triples but with larger amounts and anything over 30-35% per annum and you are a stud...

I have been working as a broker for a few years and my clients would be like a pig in mud if they got any returns above 10% for the past few years per annum, not leveraged monies though...

I recently passed the 3 and will be getting a CTA designation to expand my practice...

they also say ants don't like salt ! so since i had some ant i put some salt down .. guess what.. my ants ran all over it... kicked it around like a soccer ball ... and thus
i had to use some deadly ant spray !

yeah i listened to what they said ... then i tested it ....guess what... don't blindly accept what other folks think !
think for yourself and run a mathmatical test if necessary

you can take any amount of money and make ten percent on a trade... period !

if you continue to do that same thing 9-10 more times with one dollar or one million dollars you will make more than 100% using compounding.

and Mikey G with all do respect my son,
just because someone becomes licensed ...that doesn't guarantee common sense will follow. as we know common sense is the least common of all senses .
i used to use licensed Realtors to buy real estate ...then i figured out many didn't know a thing about real estate just that they needed to sell it to get a commission.

:bowtie:

Uhhh Dev thanks for the tip... I have been trading long enough to know license don't mean $quat...

My personal forex account is up 150% this year...

Edited by MikeyG, 09 September 2010 - 12:43 AM.

mdgcapital@protonmail.com  

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

"One soul is worth more than the whole world." 

#22 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:10 AM

Gary is right, working with a small amount you can get doubles and triples but with larger amounts and anything over 30-35% per annum and you are a stud...

Uhhh Dev thanks for the tip... I have been trading long enough to know license don't mean $quat...

that's great !

well done ! ;)

see everyone can do it!

but based on your statement above does that mean it is a small amount ?
just a rhetorical question.

Edited by Mr Dev, 09 September 2010 - 01:11 AM.

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.
.....timing,..... is ....everything !
... remember no guessing visit MrDev!

#23 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:13 AM

that's great !

well done ! ;)

see everyone can do it!

but based on your statement above does that mean it is a small amount ?

Well, I'm not running SAC Capital type money, yet!!!

mdgcapital@protonmail.com  

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

"One soul is worth more than the whole world." 

#24 Gary Smith

Gary Smith

• Traders-Talk User
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

[quote name='Mr Dev' date='Sep 9 2010, 01:09 AM' post='541791']
[quote name='Gary Smith' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:01 PM' post='541787']

I know one home based trader who has traded $2300 to over $2,100,000 with nary any drawdown along the way but the only 100% years he ever had was when his account was very small.
[color="#FF0000"] this example absolutely does not compute mathematically!!
at some point you must make huge percentage gains to accomplish this in a trading lifetime.
regardless of the error in the example, ...

We could have a healthy and civilized debate on a lot of what you say but it would not lead anywhere positive so let's just say different strokes for different folks. But I can't let the above statement go because it is so very, very wrong and is also very telling. Since I know this trader intimately I know there is no error in the computation and you would not have had to make "the huge percentage gains at some point" as you call it to accomplish this in a trading lifetime, or in this case, since March of 1985. Those annualized compounded returns aren't that impressive, as they are *under* 35% compounded per annum. Albeit many years were above that in the roaring 80s and 90s as well as several below that in the not so roaring 2000s. I could care less about percentage returns. What I do care about is the consistent *compounding* of the capital over time in my account since it is my retirement nest egg. For instance, the past 18 months have been my best by far over any such period on how many dollars my account has grown, but pales in comparison on a percentage return basis to some of those wild years in the 80s and 90s when my account was much smaller.

#25 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:15 AM

forgive me but as i read you... you are saying subconsciously in mind that you are a sucker who is trying not be.
take a break from the charts focus on your mind ... because the eyes can not see when the mind is cloudy ... i do wish you luck as i offer this as support

Sound advice.... If you have a losing trade that your market analysis is wrong. It is better to wait it out until you figure out why your analysis is wrong.... Unfortunately, I don't have a mentor that taught me how to trade, I listened to traders on this board and others who had opinions that were backed up by technical analysis and use a mixture of those analysis.

Many traders look at too few charts and miss important signals in the market... I play medium term... I went long almost 2 weeks ago after going short at the beginning of August... Hopefully, I can give some of my wisdom some of the investors here. However, i do have day job that prevents me from watching the market, so I need a trading algorithm that allows me to check charts on a daily basis... Mr Dev is on a little shorter trading cycle than me.... He is right with trading with 2X funds you should be able to achieve 100 - 200% on your money every year.... I'm not there yet myself, but I am marketing improvement I think, but until you can double your money over 12 months of trading ups and downs you can't really say you know how to trade.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's absolutely absurd to say "until you can double your money over 12 months of trading ups and downs you can't really say you know how to trade. The only traders who can do that are the nameless and faceless posters on Internet trading boards who couldn't produce a multi-year real money track record if their life depended on it. Are you aware of the returns generated by the best of the hedge fund managers such as the Steve Cohens of the world and the super star traders such as Soros? Are you aware of the returns generated by Buffett to become a billionaire many times over? Are you aware of the monitored returns by Mark Hulbert of the newsletter writers and advisors including the Rydex and Profunds traders? Are you aware of the real money monitored returns from MoniResearch of the trading advisors or the returns of the CTAs? For a home based trader, 100% per year each and every year is pure fantasy unless you are trading a miniscule account and not compounding it. I know one home based trader who has traded $2300 to over $2,100,000 with nary any drawdown along the way but the only 100% years he ever had was when his account was very small. I do know one trader, accounts statements and everything, who at one time did do 100% per year for several years. But last I heard he was driving a cab and broke. One of the primary reasons so many fail at the trading game are unrealistic expectations by the glut of pie-in-the-sky trading claims from Vendorville portraying trading as a easy way to instant riches.

Gary,

Coudn't agree with you more. The idea of making 100% returns year after year consistently is a pure fantasy. Yes there are years where you could have easily done it, when the market charateristic fits your trading style. But doing it consistently for years, i am still trying to meet such people, whereever they exist.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#26 Gary Smith

Gary Smith

• Traders-Talk User
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:28 AM

forgive me but as i read you... you are saying subconsciously in mind that you are a sucker who is trying not be.
take a break from the charts focus on your mind ... because the eyes can not see when the mind is cloudy ... i do wish you luck as i offer this as support

Sound advice.... If you have a losing trade that your market analysis is wrong. It is better to wait it out until you figure out why your analysis is wrong.... Unfortunately, I don't have a mentor that taught me how to trade, I listened to traders on this board and others who had opinions that were backed up by technical analysis and use a mixture of those analysis.

Many traders look at too few charts and miss important signals in the market... I play medium term... I went long almost 2 weeks ago after going short at the beginning of August... Hopefully, I can give some of my wisdom some of the investors here. However, i do have day job that prevents me from watching the market, so I need a trading algorithm that allows me to check charts on a daily basis... Mr Dev is on a little shorter trading cycle than me.... He is right with trading with 2X funds you should be able to achieve 100 - 200% on your money every year.... I'm not there yet myself, but I am marketing improvement I think, but until you can double your money over 12 months of trading ups and downs you can't really say you know how to trade.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's absolutely absurd to say "until you can double your money over 12 months of trading ups and downs you can't really say you know how to trade. The only traders who can do that are the nameless and faceless posters on Internet trading boards who couldn't produce a multi-year real money track record if their life depended on it. Are you aware of the returns generated by the best of the hedge fund managers such as the Steve Cohens of the world and the super star traders such as Soros? Are you aware of the returns generated by Buffett to become a billionaire many times over? Are you aware of the monitored returns by Mark Hulbert of the newsletter writers and advisors including the Rydex and Profunds traders? Are you aware of the real money monitored returns from MoniResearch of the trading advisors or the returns of the CTAs? For a home based trader, 100% per year each and every year is pure fantasy unless you are trading a miniscule account and not compounding it. I know one home based trader who has traded $2300 to over $2,100,000 with nary any drawdown along the way but the only 100% years he ever had was when his account was very small. I do know one trader, accounts statements and everything, who at one time did do 100% per year for several years. But last I heard he was driving a cab and broke. One of the primary reasons so many fail at the trading game are unrealistic expectations by the glut of pie-in-the-sky trading claims from Vendorville portraying trading as a easy way to instant riches.

Gary,

Coudn't agree with you more. The idea of making 100% returns year after year consistently is a pure fantasy. Yes there are years where you could have easily done it, when the market charateristic fits your trading style. But doing it consistently for years, i am still trying to meet such people, whereever they exist.

Thanks NAV. I don't doubt it can be done and is being done, albeit not every single year, and certainly not on a *compounded* basis. And also extraordinary claims that it is being done would require extraordinary proof via real money trading statements. Long ago, I did 86% annualized, but not compounded, for 10 straight years in the stock index futures but it was a very small account and one I kept small by withdrawing the profits each year to parlay into my mutual fund trading account where I could trade in greater size and compound. As an aside, I made a glaring omission trying to downplay my percentage returns in my above post in that while there were no additons to speak of over those 25+ years there was almost $900,000 in withdrawals for taxes, home purchases, cars, a divorce settlement, to get debt free, etc. and the biggie, to pay my living expenses sine 1996 when I went from part-time to full-time. While that may jack up the annualized returns, it would still be south of 45% so nothing of any earth shattering proportions.. My whole point here is (and in this thread I am referring to your typical home-based trader trading their own capital) it's better to focus on being a consistently profitable trader while obsessively managing risk and not worry about pie-in-the sky percentage returns. Over time the money will come by the compounding effect, especially if you trade as much as possible in your tax free retirement accounts such as IRAs etc. Pre 1985, I wasted my first 19 years of part time trading trying to get rich quick and in the process went nowhere.

Edited by Gary Smith, 09 September 2010 - 03:35 AM.

#27 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

Gary,

Thanks NAV. I don't doubt it can be done and is being done, albeit not every single year, and certainly not on a *compounded* basis. And also extraordinary claims that it is being done would require extraordinary proof via real money trading statements. Long ago, I did 86% annualized, but not compounded, for 10 straight years in the stock index futures but it was a very small account and one I kept small by withdrawing the profits each year to parlay into my mutual fund trading account where I could trade in greater size and compound. As an aside, I made a glaring omission trying to downplay my percentage returns in my above post in that while there were no additons to speak of over those 25+ years there was almost $900,000 in withdrawals for taxes, home purchases, cars, a divorce settlement, to get debt free, etc. and the biggie, to pay my living expenses sine 1996 when I went from part-time to full-time. While that may jack up the annualized returns, it would still be south of 45% so nothing of any earth shattering proportions.. My whole point here is (and in this thread I am referring to your typical home-based trader trading their own capital) it's better to focus on being a consistently profitable trader while obsessively managing risk and not worry about pie-in-the sky percentage returns. Over time the money will come by the compounding effect, especially if you trade as much as possible in your tax free retirement accounts such as IRAs etc. Pre 1985, I wasted my first 19 years of part time trading trying to get rich quick and in the process went nowhere.

Gary,

That's an interesting real-life account. Thanks.

P.S - BTW, i was talking about 100% annual returns, on a compunded basis, assuming no withdrawals.

Edited by NAV, 09 September 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#28 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

BTW, i was talking about 100% annual returns, on a compunded basis, assuming no withdrawals i.e CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate). That means 10k invested should be around 10.4 milllion in 10 years. Very few realize that a CAGR of just 25% will take a 10K account to 1.2million in just 12 years.

Edited by NAV, 09 September 2010 - 06:42 AM.

#29 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

Interesting discussion. I read something recently that said the focus should not be on the amt of money or the percentages but rather just focus on trading well every single solitary day. If you just do that the money will come. It made a lot of sense to me. Best to you all.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#30 SemiBizz

SemiBizz

Volume Dynamics Specialist

• Traders-Talk User
  • 23,208 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

however my short term indicators are in conflict

Consistent with the IWM signal today... inside day on stronger volume.

So we go to the smaller timeframe scorecards on the 65 min.

if IWM can climb and maintain 63.64 it can test hourly volume high at 64.53 or in hourly $RUT Terms 643.59

64.42 Pre-Market...
Price and Volume Forensics Specialist

Richard Wyckoff - "Whenever you find hope or fear warping judgment, close out your position"

Volume is the only vote that matters... the ultimate sentiment poll.

http://twitter.com/VolumeDynamics  http://parler.com/Volumedynamics