Photo

Taxes Driving the Rich Out of Rhode Island?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#111 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Yep, top 1% pay 40% of taxes.

Could that be because top 1% have over 35% of the wealth, lol.

The gap between rich and poor has never been greater.

That usually leads to a revolution and guillotines etc.

Not when someone who makes under $20,000 -- pays no tax -- is able receive as much as $82,000 when you include government benefits...thus receiving MORE than someone in the top 10% has after taxes.

The revolutionaries may end up being the taxed.

Can you itemize and verify that $82,000 number?

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#112 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Can you itemize and verify that $82,000 number?

It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.
Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.
The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.
Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.
Add it up and this family can get $81,589 in free assistance.

My decades of working with the poor revealed that most of the "single mothers" have a baby's daddy, a guy who "stays" in the home from time to time.
They literally use the expression "I stay there" rather than "I live there" because living there would disqualify the mother from most of the benefits.
Marriage among the poor has been utterly destroyed by government programs.
Sadly, criminal gangs have replaced the close knit families which existed before the Great Society.

Additionally working families are torn apart as both parents must work to support those who just "stay."
So their children are raised by strangers.

But results don't seem to matter among the believers in the Almighty State.

See: The "Great Society" Fails our children, families "Most of all we have a parent problem"

Also: REPORT: $700 million in Katrina relief money went missing...
"A new report released from the inspector general’s office shows that more than 24,000 homeowners who received grants of up to $30,000 to elevate their homes either misspent or pocketed the money."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 03 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#113 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

They tried the "window tax" to tax sunshine. See: Taxes for air and sunshine coming...again? 1696 Windows tax reborn?

Now it's the "Rain Tax."
Soon to be followed by the "Daytime tax" and then comes the "nighttime tax."
Then it will be the "coming and going taxes". :lol:

'Rain Tax' to Soak Maryland Residents...

[url="http://"http://cnsnews.com/news/article/man-sentenced-30-days-catching-rain-water-own-property-enters-jail""]Man Sentenced to 30 Days for Catching Rain Water on Own Property...[/url]

Aug 8, 2012 – He was convicted of nine misdemeanors, sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined over $1500 for collecting rainwater and snow runoff.

Reader comments:
"So, if you allow water to run off of your property, you get taxed, but if you retain that water on your property, you get thrown in jail. It's no wonder these people want to take away our guns."
"Hide yer kids, hide yer wives, and hide yer huzbins...cuz dey taxin errbody out hur."

Pardon Rain Man? Oregon Gov. Ducks for Cover

I guess that if was using that water to grow Pot, he would be pardoned and awarded a key to the city. :yes:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 April 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#114 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

What could be wrong with France that higher taxes could not solve? Everything! :lol:

Paris Hit by Property Freeze as Taxes Deter Buyers...
"Across France, an economy that's stalled for two years, joblessness at a 15-year high, property prices near record highs and new taxes have made households reluctant to borrow to buy homes.
The average home-loan rate fell 0.8 percentage point from a year ago to a record low 3.34 percent in the first two months of the year. Still, new mortgages granted in the 12 months through February slid 27%."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#115 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

When I read this I think of all of the children being raised by strangers because their parents must work to pay the TAX BURDEN.

Taxpayer support of terrorists:

$100,000 IN BENEFITS FOR BOSTON BOMBERS
The Tsarnaev family, including the suspected terrorists and their parents, benefited from more than $100,000 in taxpayer-funded assistance — a bonanza ranging from cash and food stamps to Section 8 housing from 2002 to 2012, the Herald has learned.
“The breadth of the benefits the family was receiving was stunning,” said a person with knowledge of documents handed over to a legislative committee today.
The state has handed over more than 500 documents to the 11-member House Post Audit and Oversight Committee, which today met for the first time and plans to call in officials from the Department of Transitional Assistance to testify.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 30 April 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#116 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Texas, Red States Beat Blue States On Jobs, Growth...
Illinois, NJ, Ohio, Michigan at bottom...

"States with lower taxes and less regulation outperform those that pursue Keynesian-style public policies,"
said study co-author Jonathan Williams, who is director of ALEC's Center for State Fiscal Reform.
"And people are voting with their feet in favor of these states."

In fact, of the 10 states that had the best economic performance over the past decade, all but two — Nevada and Washington — are solid red states, based on the past four presidential elections. Other top economic performers include Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, Idaho and Arizona.
And of the 10 states expected to fare worst, all but one — Montana — are solid blue states.
California and Maryland lost ground on this ranking from last year, thanks to tax hikes in those states. California dropped from 38th to 47th place, and Maryland fell from 20th to 35th place, according to the report, which was co-authored by economist Arthur Laffer and economics writer Stephen Moore.
Kansas, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio gained in the rankings this year. Kansas, for example, jumped to the 11th spot from last year's 26th place, thanks in large part to what the study calls its bold tax reform.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 May 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#117 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

So what do "community organizers" really do?

CENSUS: Chicago Slowest Growing Big City...

Largest school closure in history...

Murders cost city $2.5b yearly...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 May 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#118 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

We let these people govern...???

REPORT: LA Mayor broke...

Is the highest-paid mayor in the United States broke?

With just over a month left in his second and final term, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will leave office in June reportedly without a place to live or a car of his own to drive, according to a report published Thursday.
In order to maintain his current lifestyle, which includes frequent cross-country travel, a mayoral mansion at the taxpayer-supported Getty House, an Los Angeles Police Department security detail for his personal SUV, courtside seats to Lakers games, and several other perks, associates estimate Villaraigosa’s next gig would need to pay about $750,000 a year, according to Stewart.

“His friends are so concerned because he’s lived so flamboyantly and
spent basically so much of other people’s money
on a very, very costly lifestyle,” Stewart said, adding that Villaraigosa has lived “far better than Gov. Jerry Brown and far more flamboyantly than actual multi-millionaire mayor Richard Riordan.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 May 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#119 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

YOUNG RICH MOVING INTO RHODE ISLAND?

Just a simple country girl moving from the heartland to the coast.

:D

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#120 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Texas, Red States Beat Blue States On Jobs, Growth...
Illinois, NJ, Ohio, Michigan at bottom...

"States with lower taxes and less regulation outperform those that pursue Keynesian-style public policies,"
said study co-author Jonathan Williams, who is director of ALEC's Center for State Fiscal Reform.
"And people are voting with their feet in favor of these states."

In fact, of the 10 states that had the best economic performance over the past decade, all but two — Nevada and Washington — are solid red states, based on the past four presidential elections. Other top economic performers include Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, Idaho and Arizona.
And of the 10 states expected to fare worst, all but one — Montana — are solid blue states.
California and Maryland lost ground on this ranking from last year, thanks to tax hikes in those states. California dropped from 38th to 47th place, and Maryland fell from 20th to 35th place, according to the report, which was co-authored by economist Arthur Laffer and economics writer Stephen Moore.
Kansas, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio gained in the rankings this year. Kansas, for example, jumped to the 11th spot from last year's 26th place, thanks in large part to what the study calls its bold tax reform.

What absolute rubbish you write.

You quote Laffer and Moore. Two more moronic "economists" you couldn't hope to meet.

Lately we have Ireland trying to defend their 2% tax on Apple which is playing games with transfer pricing etc.

Republicans argue tax is too high.

I can't see why I pay high and Apple pays zero.

The recent work of Reinhart and Rogoff, darlings of the right, has been found to be just poor Excel spread sheet stuff.

Oh dear. I knew Republican's were brain dead but didn't realise how much.